Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Problems with perspective, and understanding orient to, vehicle
Old
bkk

Question Problems with perspective, and understanding orient to, vehicle - 12-14-2009, 05:57 PM

Good evening all...

I'm having a lot of problems with perspective in the following scenario. I have a square that represents a soccer field, and three players at the end of it.

I'm trying to get them to walk to midfield, wave to the crowd, turn around, and walk back to where they started.

I have all the movements worked out, but what I want Alice to do is understand that the players are the same scale and coordinate system as the field. I can't drop three dummy objects at midfield unless the frame of reference stays the same between the players and the field, regardless of camera angle.

I'm not doing a good job of explaining this, but I hope you get the gist of what I'm asking. I'm surprised Alice doesn't have a built in way of setting this prior to runtime.

Also, can someone *please* explain when to use each of the following, and exactly what they're for?

Orient to
Set Point of View to
Set Vehicle to
As Seen By
and of course, isScaledBySize

Many thanks in advance...

Old
rockstar442

Default 12-14-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkk View Post
Good evening all...

I'm having a lot of problems with perspective in the following scenario. I have a square that represents a soccer field, and three players at the end of it.

I'm trying to get them to walk to midfield, wave to the crowd, turn around, and walk back to where they started.

I have all the movements worked out, but what I want Alice to do is understand that the players are the same scale and coordinate system as the field. I can't drop three dummy objects at midfield unless the frame of reference stays the same between the players and the field, regardless of camera angle.

I'm not doing a good job of explaining this, but I hope you get the gist of what I'm asking. I'm surprised Alice doesn't have a built in way of setting this prior to runtime.

Also, can someone *please* explain when to use each of the following, and exactly what they're for?

Orient to
Set Point of View to
Set Vehicle to
As Seen By
and of course, isScaledBySize

Many thanks in advance...

Ok

Orient to makes the camera or if chosen object turn to the selected object
set point of view to is self exlpanitory it set the view to _____
set vehicle if its a object or camera makes it follow that certain object
you should mess around with thiss stuff to see how it works

Problems with perspective, etc.
Old
bkk

Talking Problems with perspective, etc. - 12-14-2009, 07:19 PM

I did, thanks. :-)

I also found the amazing "setting the stage part 2" from Dick Baldwin. Awesome! That solved my problems.

Oh, how I wish my professor ever bothered mentioning how to resolve these kinds of alignment issues before just tossing out assignments.

Thanks to all...and especially to you Dick..