Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 3 > How Do I?

ALICE 3.0 Release Date
Old
lanceA

Default ALICE 3.0 Release Date - 04-21-2007, 04:40 PM

For those of us using the product for academic study, and whom need to prepare for 2007-2008, what is the projected release date of version 3.0?

Thank you,

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 04-21-2007, 09:22 PM

We are making good progress with Alice 3.0 development; however, the only estimate we are comfortable giving as of now is that it will be released in 2008.

As soon as we have something more definitive, we will make an announcement.

The Alice Team

Old
lanceA

Default 04-22-2007, 04:59 PM

Thank you. That is good information.

At the start of next year we can continue with the material available for Alice 2.0.

Thanks again for the information.

Alice 3.0
Old
lanceA

Default Alice 3.0 - 05-29-2007, 11:46 AM

A few questions:

1. 3.0 will be a more true Java product ?

2. Is the 3.0 IDE built upon the Eclipse IDE and will you be able to switch between drag-and-drop versus typing syntax ?

3. You can write your own classes ?

4. Polymorphism and Inheritance will be a part of 3.0 ?

I'm just wondering

Thanks,

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 07-11-2007, 12:12 PM

Courtesy of Randy and Dennis:

Alice v3.0 is still under development, but here is what we can tell you now:

The "programming language" of Alice v3.0 will be Java. Said another way,
Alice v3.0 is an IDE for Java that has been optimized for learning to
program. If teachers want to use Alice v3.0 with a "totally keyboard based
experience," they can do that. We will provide a drag-and-drop interface, similar to Alice v2.0, which will be able to display the code either as Java, or in a more simplified form, like the current Alice v2.0 default presentation.

Therefore, the "Alice v3.0 experience" can feel very much like the Alice v2.0 experience. Whether one is typing or drag-and-dropping, Alice v3.0 will read, write, and execute real Java programs, so one can mix & match a typing or drag-and-drop experience.

Currently, Alice v2.0 worlds are rather large, as each world contains the 3D geometry and texture maps for all its objects. Since the typical Alice v3.0 world/program will reference the grand majority of its 3d content from the gallery, most Alice v3.0 worlds/programs will be tiny; just the Java source code and any external media (e.g. custom sound files).

Alice v3.0 will provide mechanisms to control the 3D characters from the Sims, which EA has graciously provided. Students will be able to control Sims characters whether they use drag-and-drop or type to create their worlds/programs.

Regarding any language questions such as "can you write your own classes?"
and "will polymorphism and inheritance be a part of v3.0?"
the answer is "Alice v3.0 is a Java IDE which creates Java programs, so you can do anything Java can do." Some of those things may require typing as opposed to drag-and-drop; that will depend on design decisions that are currently in process.

Old
Darkpivot

Default 07-23-2007, 07:15 PM

I have a question about v3 also. Since it will be java based will it be able to make a multi-player online game with it. Where you can embed the game into a website and have other people be able to log on and interact with other players?

Old
islandfever

Default 07-23-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkpivot View Post
I have a question about v3 also. Since it will be java based will it be able to make a multi-player online game with it. Where you can embed the game into a website and have other people be able to log on and interact with other players?
Nice idea. That would be great, I hope so!

Old
marriott

Default 08-17-2007, 01:52 PM

Many thanks for the updated info.

Is there an updated expected release date? The last one I know of was the 18-24 month projection. Will it be ready for the 2008-09 school year?

Also, will v3 be such a radical IDE change that the current "Learning to Program with Alice" book will be inapplicable?

Thanks!

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 08-17-2007, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkpivot View Post
Creating interactive games that can be accessed from a webpage should be well within the capabilities of Alice 3.0. As for multiplayer capabilities, that is currently undecided.

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 08-17-2007, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marriott View Post
Many thanks for the updated info.

Is there an updated expected release date? The last one I know of was the 18-24 month projection. Will it be ready for the 2008-09 school year?

Also, will v3 be such a radical IDE change that the current "Learning to Program with Alice" book will be inapplicable?

Thanks!
We are still working towards a 2008 release date. As soon as we have something more definite, I will make an announcement on the site.

Alice 3.0 will have a drag and drop interface as well as a hand coding interface. This, compounded with the Sims characters, who behave in such a drastically different way to the current models, will make current texts very difficult to teach with.