Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > Questions and Comments

Try default way on linux
Old
phoe6

Default Try default way on linux - 09-15-2009, 12:24 AM

Hello EvilQueenRaina:
There are a good number of expert users in Linux and they would be helpful to you with the problems that you are facing as a new user.

Ignore this thread. But just go to alice download page and download alice for linux, Right click on the file extract and click on runalice.
See if you are successful with that.

Happy programming.

Old
EvilQueenRinoa

Default 09-16-2009, 01:34 PM

Phoe6:

Thank you for the reply. I downloaded it and extracted it to my desktop. Then, I opened it and clicked on the "run-alice" document. I got a pop up message and I clicked run, but nothing happens. Did I do something wrong?

Old
xxledzeppelin2x3

Default 10-31-2009, 08:41 PM

yeahh it should work.. i have heard it be done by many other people including my entire class!

Alices works but shortcut doesn't
Old
bidalah

Default Alices works but shortcut doesn't - 12-06-2009, 02:11 PM

I had no problem getting Alice up and running on Ubuntu but after almost a day of wrestling with it I can't get Alice to load by clicking on a desktop link. I am teaching this to a group of young children and don't want to waste time explaining to them what terminal window is.

Has anyone successfuly executed the run-alice script from a desktop shortcut? If so, please let me know how. I can't believe such a little thing is proving so difficult!

Alice on Solaris
Old
Gerhard Hagerer

Default Alice on Solaris - 03-05-2010, 10:26 AM

Hi,

just wanted to tell, that I got Alice running on Sun's Solaris Sparc 64-bit plattform.

I did it like homer.xing describes. I downloaded the jogl-libraries for Solaris from here and replaced them as described from the people above. I also took the start-script from homer.xing. A further step was getting the following files: libGL.so, libGL.so.1, libGLU.so, libGLU.so.1. Some programms like maple or graphic-drivers do have it on board. Scan your hard-drive for this. These files or links to them have to be placed in jogl/lib/linux-i586. Well that's it.

Hope you have fun with it.

Kubuntu 10.04+Alice 2.2=?
Old
wfarr

Default Kubuntu 10.04+Alice 2.2=? - 01-07-2011, 11:07 AM

Hey Alice community

I've Been Trying to get alice for linux and have had no success.. can you give me a link?

Thank you
Old
monte

Default Thank you - 02-13-2011, 01:27 PM

Thank you guys, your walkthrough works!

Old
Nickto1414

Default 02-13-2011, 09:12 PM

im running alice on Ubuntu and it freaking sucks. it runs text through terminal and is much slower than the windows version. i knowit isnt the computer because this computer im on with Ubuntu is beast