Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Bugs and Troubleshooting

Worlds will not open
Old
mdgirl

Default Worlds will not open - 01-01-2010, 06:00 PM

This is my homework, I have redone it about 6 times. I have removed Alice from my computer, reinstalled it, and nothing works. I am so frustrated, you have no idea. I have posted the assignment I did, and the error hoping someone can help me. I have asked my instructor, the school tech support and Alice support elsewhere, and keep hitting walls. Anything anyone call tell me will be greatly appreciated. I have Alice 2.2b on my PC.

This is the error I get-

Unable to load world

Alice version: 2.2 8/1/2009

Throwable that caused the error:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.visualization.Collect ionOfModelsVisualization.getItemsCollection(Collec tionOfModelsVisualization.java:29)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.visualization.Collect ionOfModelsVisualization.loadCompleted(CollectionO fModelsVisualization.java:153)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.Element.loadCompleted (Element.java:1426)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.Element.load(Element. java:1551)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.dialog.LoadE lementProgressPane.construct(LoadElementProgressPa ne.java:36)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.progress.ProgressPane$2.run(Prog ressPane.java:82)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Attached Files
File Type: a2w Kathy Powell-Week 4 Individual Asgmt.a2w (2.83 MB, 2 views)

Old
lanceA

Default 01-01-2010, 06:09 PM

mdgirl. . .

Comment/disable all of your code and repost. I downloaded your program and just like you it would not open. I need to see the animation's code in order to debug it. There is something in the code which is preventing it from loading. If we can not see the source code it will be hard to help you.

Worlds will not open...
Old
mdgirl

Default Worlds will not open... - 01-01-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceA View Post
mdgirl. . .

Comment/disable all of your code and repost. I downloaded your program and just like you it would not open. I need to see the animation's code in order to debug it. There is something in the code which is preventing it from loading. If we can not see the source code it will be hard to help you.
I do not understand what you mean by "Comment/disable all of your code and repost." If the world won't open, how can I show you a copy of the source code? I am still learning this program, so there are many things I still don't know how to do yet. Thanks.

Old
lanceA

Default 01-01-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgirl View Post
I do not understand what you mean by "Comment/disable all of your code and repost." If the world won't open, how can I show you a copy of the source code? I am still learning this program, so there are many things I still don't know how to do yet. Thanks.
You are correct. If you can not open the world then you can not do what I asked. Sorry.

Do you have any Backup folders of your world? Alice automatically backs up your animations.

Worlds will not open
Old
mdgirl

Default Worlds will not open - 01-01-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceA View Post
You are correct. If you can not open the world then you can not do what I asked. Sorry.

Do you have any Backup folders of your world? Alice automatically backs up your animations.
Yes, I have the backups. They will open only if I agree to let me open with a value of zero, which means starting all over again.