Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Bugs and Troubleshooting

animal objects blacken on my mac
Old
wsmac

Default animal objects blacken on my mac - 01-23-2008, 10:30 PM

I am new to Alice and programming.
I just started an Intro to Programming class at my college this week and we're using Alice.

I have a problem, but here's a little info...

I run a MacBook, 10.4.11, using Alice 2.0.4.

Here's what happens...
I create a New World and add an object... specifically the Bunny.
Every method involving movement that I add has so far worked just fine.
When I add either the "Say" or "Think" methods, my bunny turns black or 'empties', leaving a black silhouette of the bunny.

When I tried this with the cat, cow, and penguin, they just darken slightly like a shadow is over them or they 'grey' out, if you will.

So here's an example:

bunny turn R 1/4 rev.
bunny move forward 1m
bunny turn L 1/4 rev.
bunny say "Hello"
- as soon as the 'Hello' bubble disappears, the bunny turns into a black silhouette and remains that way no matter the methods that follow. If I restart, the bunny starts out as a black silhouette.
If I stop and play again, the bunny returns to normal and turns black after the bubble disappears.

Now... for the cat, cow and penguin...

They do the same thing as the bunny with the exception of not turning black but just darkening slightly.
If I add a method immediately after the "Say" or "Think" method, then instead of greying out... there's a slight 'blip' as if they were trying to grey out, but they don't and then they go on to finish the other methods.

So far, when I email the file of my world to my instructor and he plays it on a Windows machine, it appears normal the whole way through.

I was wondering if maybe the methods for the "Say" and "Think" have something in them that takes, or tries to take, away a layer of the object when the bubble goes away.
Hope that made sense. Say the bunny is white and the bubble "Hello" is white also... when the bubble goes away (completion of method), it removes the white layer from the bunny also.

But then why doesn't it do that for the cat, cow, and penguin? They just grey out a bit. Different construction of objects?

Anyway, sorry for the long post.
Hope someone has an answer on why the changes after the dialog bubbles.

Thanks

Old
wsmac

Default 01-26-2008, 01:05 PM

After discussing this problem with my professors, I still have no answer as to what's happening with the objects.

What I am planning on doing next is to keep track of whose objects blank out completely and whose objects just grey slightly.

This is to help me figure out if the issue is in the object itself and if certain developers build these objects in ways the mac doesn't quite get along with.

If I figure anything out, I will post here.
But, as I mention above, I am new to all this. I'll have to do it between class assignments.

Old
thelfer

Default 01-29-2008, 04:03 PM

I logged on to ask the same question. I'm using a Mac PowerBook G4 v10.3.9 and see the same things with my chickens using "say" or "think". I haven't tried the same code on my Windows XP machine to see if it does the same thing there.

At first I thought it was a "lighting" thing, that the say/think bubbles were casting a shadow, because the "shadow" moves off and the chickens brighten again when the bubble is done. But moving the light source around doesn't help.

Any advice much appreciated.

Animals blacking out
Old
little_witch

Default Animals blacking out - 03-18-2008, 05:01 PM

I have the same issue too, it all works fine until I use say or think.

Alice 2.2
Old
jeremyhu

Default Alice 2.2 - 03-18-2008, 07:07 PM

From what I've heard, this will be fixed in Alice 2.2 =)