Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Educators > Teaching with Alice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Aice with a 5th grader
Old
DaddyOh
Guest
 
Status:
Posts: n/a
Default Aice with a 5th grader - 02-18-2008, 07:29 AM

I'm wondering if anyone has had some success with using Alice to teach 4th - 6th graders some basic programming. My 4th grader, youngest daughter, is showing a high aptitude for 6th grade math. She has programmed the Lego NXT a little and seems to not have any problems with that. Wondering if I should wait a little while longer or start her in on Alice. As well - should we start with 2.0 since it seems 3.0 is over the horizon a bit?

My background is IS/IT (web, C, PHP, little Java and more) but mostly as a team lead manager and part time programmer.

Thanks in advance for your help.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
DickBaldwin
Guest
 
Status:
Posts: n/a
Default 02-18-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyOh View Post
I'm wondering if anyone has had some success with using Alice to teach 4th - 6th graders some basic programming. My 4th grader, youngest daughter, is showing a high aptitude for 6th grade math. She has programmed the Lego NXT a little and seems to not have any problems with that. Wondering if I should wait a little while longer or start her in on Alice. As well - should we start with 2.0 since it seems 3.0 is over the horizon a bit?

My background is IS/IT (web, C, PHP, little Java and more) but mostly as a team lead manager and part time programmer.

Thanks in advance for your help.
I believe I would start her on Scratch from MIT (Google it) and move to Alice when 3.0 is released. I believe she would find Scratch more engaging at her age, and would also find many kindred souls on the Scratch forum.

Dick Baldwin
Free Alice tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocalice.htm
Free programming tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/toc.htm
   
Reply With Quote
alice is great for 9 year old and 7 year old
Old
alicefan
Guest
 
Status:
Posts: n/a
Default alice is great for 9 year old and 7 year old - 08-07-2008, 07:52 PM

Hi,
You can teach Alice to a 7 year old.

I think you should go for it.

There is good information at kids like . info

about teaching children programming with scratch or alice.

Just go to
http://kidslike.info/
and search on alice.
or
go to
http://kidslike.info/scratch_compute...ming_tutorials
for scratch

Last edited by alicefan; 08-19-2008 at 03:05 PM.
   
Reply With Quote
Comparing scratch and Alice
Old
alicefan
Guest
 
Status:
Posts: n/a
Default Comparing scratch and Alice - 08-19-2008, 03:06 PM

http://www.kidslike.info/computer_pr...ming_languages
   
Reply With Quote
Great Reference
Old
DrJim
Guest
 
Status:
Posts: n/a
Exclamation Great Reference - 08-20-2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicefan View Post
Great reference - thanks for posting.

About the only thing I would disagree with is calling Python - which is primarily a scripting language - a "traditional computer language." I would reserve that for C++/Java etc. which are compiled languages in the tradition of Fortran.

Added note: I see Dick Baldwin has also noted that Greenfoot is Java, not Ruby.
http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=1619 . The Ruby reference apparently has been corrected by the owner of the page - at least the current version correctly lists Java as the source for Greenfoot.

Last edited by DrJim; 08-20-2008 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Added reference
   
Reply With Quote
Old
DickBaldwin
Guest
 
Status:
Posts: n/a
Default 08-20-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJim View Post

Added note: I see Dick Baldwin has also noted that Greenfoot is Java, not Ruby.
http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=1619 . The Ruby reference apparently has been corrected by the owner of the page - at least the current version correctly lists Java as the source for Greenfoot.
That correction was mighty quick! Didn't know I had so much influence Hmmm, wonder if I could have a similar effect on gas prices

Correction: The price of gas is supposed to be $0.39 instead of $3.90

Let's see if that works!

The author of that page with the Ruby/Java error must read these forums.

Dick Baldwin
Free Alice tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocalice.htm
Free Scratch tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocHomeSchool.htm
Free Java/C#, etc. tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/toc.htm

Last edited by DickBaldwin; 08-20-2008 at 09:07 AM.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
DrJim
Guest
 
Status:
Posts: n/a
Default 03-15-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickBaldwin View Post
That correction was mighty quick! Didn't know I had so much influence Hmmm, wonder if I could have a similar effect on gas prices

Correction: The price of gas is supposed to be $0.39 instead of $3.90
Let's see if that works!
Just came across this old (Aug. '08) positing looking for Greenfort information. Since gas prices, at least locally, are at least down to $1.90 - would you mind trying the same thing with the stock market?

As far as your influence goes, as you may know your site is the first web reference listed in "Java for Dummies." I'll let you figure out whether that's good or bad - certainly your tutorials are great.
   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Copyright ©2017, Carnegie Mellon University
Alice 2.x 1999-2012, Alice 3.x 2008-2012, Carnegie Mellon University. All rights reserved.