Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Independent Object Control
Old
Kennebel

Default Independent Object Control - 07-29-2008, 01:54 PM

I am trying to control a helicopter blade through a custom property.

The entirety of my test: (also attached in a2w format)

When i run this (on windows, i'm at work on my lunch break), it crashes with a java error, complaining that -1 is not in the range of 0 to 2. (which of course it isn't, but i don't control that call)

If i _only_ change the while loop to true, or false (to make it not run) instead of looking at the boolean property RunMyProp, everything is fine. I was trying to learn how to control an independent action, and this was my first try.

Anyone that might be able to help?
Attached Files
File Type: a2w helo_test.a2w (427.3 KB, 57 views)

Old
DrJim

Default 07-29-2008, 08:40 PM

Welcome to the (in)famous Alice "event while."

The basic problem with the event while is that - at least for practical purposes - the time at which it is actually evaluated is non-deterministic, but it does immediately end the execution of any methods it was calling.

In this case, helicopter.heli blade contains two infinite loops - and when the execution ends, the loop indicies are "out of range", stopping the program and giving an error.

The basic work-around is to move the while statements to specific methods where you can control when they are evaluated - as shown in the modified program attached.

Several other examples of the problem, work-arounds and more details are available on other postings in the forum.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w mod_helo_test.a2w (423.6 KB, 63 views)

Old
Kennebel

Default 07-30-2008, 07:31 AM

Excellent! Thank you very much. That seems like a reasonable work around, and certainly easy to implement.

Again, thank you.