Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Know whats the "right" way to do things?
Old
The Big Angry Nerd

Default Know whats the "right" way to do things? - 12-19-2008, 01:14 AM

Alot of my Alice knowledge has been self taught. I have the book Learning To Program with Alice (2nd Edition) and so far I have worked my way up to Chapter 6. Only real challenge for me was getting the guy to accurately climb the pyramid in 6.2.4 (Pyramid Climb).

But my real problem is doing these things correctly. When I read modify I think skys the limit with what I can and cannot do to meet the specifications of the exercise. Using additional objects as markers or placeholders, multiple If/Else statements, ect, ect. Then there are some assignments that tell me to have a certain amount of objects in a world, and I wonder if that means I cannot use another object to make things easier.

Sorry if i'm being vauge. But it's getting frustrating to get over Chapter 6 and if I am going to keep going at this pace I think it would be good if I got to know the community. Can anyone answer this question?

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 12-19-2008, 09:34 AM

In my opinion, for complex motion and scene changes, placeholders are always the best option. However, if the book puts a limit on how many objects you are to work with, it may be a challenge to see if you can figure out a way to create the same effect as a placeholder, without one. There are a few ways, but I'll let you decide if you want me to simply tell you what they are or let you figure them out.

Also remember, the idea behind completeing those exercises is to help you learn. If it doesn't help you learn, don't bother with it. If you think it may help, keep working at it. (I know that less objects does mean less filesize.)

(')>

Old
The Big Angry Nerd

Default 12-19-2008, 01:19 PM

Mm. That's the problem. I challenge myself too much at times, I fear the easy side of programing. I'm refraining from checking other peoples works until I finish Chapter 10 and get Chapter 11. But yours will be the first I will check.