Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Which book for my 10 yo?
Old
RobMikeMom

Question Which book for my 10 yo? - 12-26-2008, 01:25 AM

If I were going to actually buy a book on Alice for my 10 yo (in addition to doing the lessons on Dick Baldwin's web site), which book do you think would be the best one for me to buy? So far, I have been leaning toward Joel Adams' book Alice in Action: Computing Through Animation. Which book on Amazon.com (or other site) would be most usable for a young boy, and still learn good practices for programming?

Thanks!

Old
DrJim

Default 12-26-2008, 10:23 AM

Personally I like the Herbert book the best - and the one by Dunn, et al is certainly the standard text. The Adams book may be a bit advanced for a 10 year old - plus, IMO, sufferes from having to deal with Alice 2.0 which really doesn't match up too well with pure Jave.

Lance A has also posted some recommendations which are worth checking, since he (unlike myself) is actively teaching the subject.

The last I checked, the used book prices on Amazon.com were very reasonable for all the texts. I certainly wouldn't invest in a new text with Alice 3.0 hopefully coming next year.

Old
RobMikeMom

Smile 12-26-2008, 03:40 PM

Thanks, I'll take a look at the Herbert book.

Do you think that the Dunn, et al, standard textbook will be updated when 3.0 is released?

Old
DrJim

Default 12-27-2008, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMikeMom View Post
Do you think that the Dunn, et al, standard textbook will be updated when 3.0 is released?
I suspect an Alice 3.0 book from the CMU team is pretty close to release and just waiting for the code, though I don't know who will be included as author.