Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

alice can't import .ASE from 3dsmax!
Old
blue_dtctive

Default alice can't import .ASE from 3dsmax! - 12-31-2008, 11:02 AM

Hi there, I have a 3d model in .3DS format then I've export it to .ASE format by using 3dsmax. When I tried to import the model to Alice, an error occured and 2 options were given: Retry and Give Up. I chose Retry but the model still can't be imported! Can u tell me what I must do when trying to export model to .ASE in 3dsmax (I mean the setting of checklists while export to .ASE). Thanks!

Old
DrJim

Default 01-01-2009, 10:07 AM

There is (or was) a tutorial on model import (I think from 3D Max) that could be accessed from the main Alice web page. Lots of detail - but didn't read it closely at the time since I don't use 3D Max.

Your errror is probably just a naming problem - Alice doesn't like blank names or the xx.yy.zz naming convention. The error message should tell you what to look for - most often blanks and then you can use a text editor to fix the file. You might be able to just set the names within 3D Max or it might be a problem with that program's .ase exporter.

Also all you can import is the mesh - no bones and you have to import the texture(s) separately.

If you can't fix your problem, put one of the models in a folder, zip it and post it in the forum and I'll take a look at it.