Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Importing models
Old
crysisfx

Default Importing models - 02-05-2009, 06:01 PM

i just imported a few models into alice and some dont show correctly. the bottom of a level im using for a shooter is ivisible. any suggestions?

Old
RockyTheConcreteDonkey

Default 02-05-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crysisfx View Post
i just imported a few models into alice and some dont show correctly. the bottom of a level im using for a shooter is ivisible. any suggestions?
Importing is buggy for alice (wether ist size position or showing). However some models if your lucky will be okay

Old
johnnywas

Default 02-07-2009, 04:03 PM

invisible as in transparent (low opacity) ?

or invisible because its below ground level - in which case move it up

Old
DrJim

Default 02-07-2009, 09:52 PM

It's also possible that the surface normals for the imported object were converted incorrectly. This can be a problem with Biturn in particular.

Not really much you can do in that case - though for simple models you can sometimes fix the problem in the modeling program. Also if you have both .obj and .3ds versions of the model, be sure to try them both.

Old
RockyTheConcreteDonkey

Default 02-08-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJim View Post
It's also possible that the surface normals for the imported object were converted incorrectly. This can be a problem with Biturn in particular.

Not really much you can do in that case - though for simple models you can sometimes fix the problem in the modeling program. Also if you have both .obj and .3ds versions of the model, be sure to try them both.
I iported a raygun model into alice and it has problems with the texture maps

Old
DrJim

Default 02-12-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyTheConcreteDonkey View Post
I iported a raygun model into alice and it has problems with the texture maps
I know the feeling - I've got a great fishing boat model that I've never been able to convert to .ase format, though it imports fine into Anim8or and a couple of other programs.

Usually what gives Biturn trouble are openings such as doors, etc. Since it doesn't know which side is "in" and Alice textures usually (maybe always ) are one sided, it just takes a guess. As would be expected, it's right half the time.