Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > The Lounge

convert .max to .3ds help
Old
taboo games

Default convert .max to .3ds help - 06-22-2009, 04:39 PM

does anyone know how to convert .max to .3ds without 3d studio max? i have it at school, but school closed a month ago

Old
DrJim

Default 06-22-2009, 06:09 PM

Probably that's not going to be easy. Somehow you have to strip just the mesh out of the .max file.

First, take a look at http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=2356

Two other options might be Milkshape (not free, but cheap) and Blender (free but complicated).

Also do a search of the web, if you haven't already.

Old
taboo games

Default 06-23-2009, 01:33 PM

my problem isn't getting a 3d modeler, its changeing the models i've already made..... though a modeler beter than anim8or would really be apreciated(though i do like the similarities to 3ds max)

if someone has 3ds max, and was willing to just convert my models to 3ds for me, i'd be greatfull (though i'd want them to promise not to keep the models in any way.....i spent alot of work doing these, even if they don't look great)

Old
DrJim

Default 06-23-2009, 06:33 PM

The ones I've listed will input a variety of formats and then export in another - though I'm not sure about .max. Just that might do what you need without worrying about learning a new modeler.

About the only thing I use Blender for, for example, is format conversion.

Old
taboo games

Default 07-06-2009, 12:02 PM

thank you for the suggestion....umm could i possibly bother you to check if blender can convert .max for me? i don't personally own a computer(parents.....), so all my programs are on flash drives, and i'm running out of room. an easy way to check would be to see if the .max format shows up in the pull down list for the importer.....

you'd really be helping me out here.

Old
DrJim

Default 07-07-2009, 04:04 AM

Blender will handle some max files, but I don't know if the way it does it will help. There are so many options, I'm afraid the only way to find out is to try.