Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 3 > How Do I?

Question about the beta
Old
FALL3N

Default Question about the beta - 10-08-2009, 08:54 PM

I'm using Alice 3 and it is very nice. I don't really have any suggestions at this point, more of a question... Are you guys planning on adding more controls to that "Create Person" thing? Some more controls to set the look of the face would really make that feature a lot better.. Bravo on that by the way... Check out the "Create a Mii" on Nintendo Wii. I know it is on a different platform, but I think you can really get some great ideas/suggestions from that.

Maybe these capabilities are already going to be added to the final version, I don't know, I am just asking.

ok, wait.
Old
FALL3N

Default ok, wait. - 10-08-2009, 09:10 PM

Ok, after further use of Alice, I realized that you guys a) removed the bottom bar which was apparently quite important, b) renamed "loop", "count" which is slightly ridiculous considering that it is really called loop in other programming languages, and most of all, c) Alice 2 worlds cannot be loaded... What the hell? Qhen you come out with a new version of something, you don't just trash all of the old work, you work hard and do what is necesarry to integrate them as much as possible. My thumbs up vote, is now a thumbs sideways. Bad show.

Hello?
Old
FALL3N

Default Hello? - 10-09-2009, 01:14 PM

Yo, I need the answer to those compatibility issues... I can't work on my prjects out of class now...

Re: Question about the beta
Old
hgs

Default Re: Question about the beta - 10-20-2009, 04:36 PM

If you search the archives you will find discussion which shows that it was never the intention to make Alice 3 backwards compatible with Alice 2 worlds. I'm not part of the team, but I imagine that factors such as the greater complexity of Alice3, the new Sims based figures, and that the goals are primarily educational made this compatibility into one feature too many, especially given the small size of the team working on this.

I don't know what the future of Alice2 will be but it can still be downloaded, and it should be possible to have both 3 and 2 on the same machine. The focus will clearly be on Alice 3 though, so I don't think the Alice 2 wheel will get much grease now.

There was some discussion about development strategies that might help overcome some of these problems, but for whatever reasons, that is not the path chosen by the team.