Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Disappearing Act Help
Old
NCChulo

Cool Disappearing Act Help - 12-05-2009, 01:21 PM

Need help creating this world. Still in the learning stages of Alice and not sure how to start.

Disappearing Act:

Create a world with an array containing several different types of bugs (Animals / Bugs), other animals, people, or other objects of your choice. Include at least five objects in total. The objects should all move in different random directions. Hint: see the Random motion section in Ch. 6 of Learning to Program with Alice. Setup multiple events (when clicked) for each object that triggers a common method to make the object disappear. Use the IsShowing property to make the objects disappear.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 12-05-2009, 01:37 PM

Well, the rule is when an entire world is asked about, especially an assignment, an effort must be made on the part of the student to make the world himself before help can be given. So post your first try at making this world as an attachment first, and we'll be happy to help.

(')>

Old
Dameria

Default 12-05-2009, 01:46 PM

x2495iiii is right, but the event to trigger an object to disappear is really easy, either you know it or not.

I will not help you with the move random places part, but as for the events to make the objects disappear, just create 5 new events in the events panel for "When mouse is clicked on something". Then, you just put into the box for what object you want clicked (put first bug in one of the events, another in the second event, and so on). This is how you make the events, now for the methods.

For the methods to make each object invisible, just click on each of the bugs you created and for each one go to the methods tab and click on "Create New Method". Then while that method is opened up go to properties tab of the object and drag the "isShowing" box into your method, and set it to "false". Do this for all of your objects. Then assign these methods into the events that you created for when the mouse is clicked on the object. Now, when you start the world and click on an object, that object will turn invisible.

Sorry x2495iiii if I might have told too much, but as he does this himself he still learns from it and learns how to do it for the next time.

Make your own program first to see if you can do it, but if you get completely stuck I will attach this program that I made as an example for you to see what I meant, just please do not use this program as your own, it is only for reference:
Attached Files
File Type: a2w InvisibleBugs.a2w (1.49 MB, 162 views)

Last edited by Dameria; 12-07-2009 at 01:41 PM.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 12-05-2009, 02:01 PM

It's fine. The whole idea was to curb plagiarism on the forums, and it doesn't seem like the help you gave could lead to it (with the exception of the world attachment, I'd prefer you wait until he attaches before attaching your own), so it's all good.

At this point, though, I do prefer to see where the student stands in Alice, like how much they already know, before I start dishing out code examples. For example, someone who's never used Alice before wouldn't know what the Functions Tab is or where to find it, and I'd need to include that in my help post in that case, whereas someone who KNEW what it is and where to find it would consider it a waste of words and possibly (for some touchy people) an insult to their intelligence.

It's not my way or the highway on these boards, though. I'm a moderator, not a dictator.

(')>

Old
NCChulo

Default 12-06-2009, 10:38 PM

Thanks for your help. I will work on it and post it later in the week to see how far I have gotten.. Thanks again.

Old
Dameria

Default 12-07-2009, 01:40 PM

Sorry, I just reread your post now, and I noticed that I made a mistake. I made separate methods for each bug, when I was supposed to make a common method with the bugs being a parameter to that method. I have provided a world here to show you, and I will replace the old world in my previous post with the new one also.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w InvisibleBugs.a2w (1.49 MB, 227 views)

Thanks again
Old
Lodemai

Lightbulb Thanks again - 04-04-2010, 08:17 PM

I just wanted to say I always find the guide I need to finish my project but I still get to create my own world.

Old
mozart31585

Default 05-21-2010, 03:49 PM

Anyone have an example of this project? An updated one?

so far i have......
Old
crashkarz21

Default so far i have...... - 06-01-2010, 05:56 PM

So far I have them disappear but I do not understand how to make them move randomly before they are clicked.... is it a function I am missing???
Attached Files
File Type: a2w Disappear.a2w (4.82 MB, 73 views)

Disappearing Act
Old
georgie7896

Default Disappearing Act - 06-07-2010, 04:08 PM

I am having a similar issue I have my random part OK but I can not figure out how you click on a bug and make it disappear. Anyone able to help? Here is what I have so far. I tried to click on create new method and while it was open click on properties but the program would not allow me to do so.

Please help

Thanks Ginger
Attached Files
File Type: a2w Disapearing Act.a2w (2.02 MB, 88 views)