Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

No motion when world running
Old
crenvy54

Default No motion when world running - 01-29-2010, 03:28 PM

Hi All,

I just installed Alice 2.07 on Ubuntu 9.10 and added the Sun Java libraries. Alice runs and have proceeded through the tutorials up to the point of the skater. However, when I run the world the popup appears with the skater, the window says World Running ... at the top but there is no movement. Have tried restarting, have tried other examples, never any motion.

Any suggestions as to what could be wrong?

TIA,

Casey

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 01-29-2010, 04:01 PM

The tutorials for some reason have a about a 50% chance of working properly. That chance is determined when you install Alice on your computer.

You can try reinstalling, but that won't guarantee it'll work. You can also try following zonedabone's instructions in this post:

But that also won't necessarily guarantee success.

If I was you, I'd forget about that tutorial entirely as they're meant to introduce you into Alice with some idea of how to do things, but Alice is really so simple and easy to use that many people (myself included) have taught themselves everything by simply experimenting and exploring.

Finally, if you really feel you need that tutorial and can't get it to work by any means, the users on this forum would be happy to tell you whatever you need to know from it.

(')>

Solution!
Old
zonedabone

Default Solution! - 01-30-2010, 09:59 AM

It appears that Mr. super admin forgot to link to my stuff! Never fear! All of the tutorials are stored in two folders:

[ALICE FOLDER]\required\tutorial - 5 files
and
[ALICE FOLDER]\required\tutorialWorlds - 4 files

If the tutorial isn't working, it is likely that one or more of these files is missing. Instead of dealing with each individual file, simply replace the folders with the folders in the below zip file:

Folders.zip

Hope this helps!

'Apple Macintosh' - An anagram of 'Complaints Heap'

M.A.C.I.N.T.O.S.H. - Machine Always Crashes, If Not, The Operating System Hangs.

You're *such* a mac person.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 01-30-2010, 12:16 PM

Yeah, that was a big whoops on my part. I always save the inserting of links for last, and I think I was distracted from typing, looked back at my screen, saw that my post was fully typed, and just clicked the Submit button.

That's my kryptonite: distractions.

(')>

Old
zonedabone

Default 01-30-2010, 12:33 PM

Hah. Happy to help. I rewrote the steps into one post, so it should be easy to follow.

M.A.C.I.N.T.O.S.H. - Machine Always Crashes, If Not, The Operating System Hangs.

Old
crenvy54

Unhappy 01-30-2010, 05:43 PM

The tutorial files were there all-right. Tried running through the tutorial 1 again (as I'd done a lot of updates in the last 24 hrs.), same deal, no motion, but this time it hung up at around step 20-something telling me I had made some sort of mistake (which I guess was a big secret because it didn't say what), and after repeating several steps I closed the program.

Then read replies here. Thought I'd just try making a simple program as suggested, but when I ran Alice again got an out-of-bounds exception from Java and the initialization hung. Restarted the machine, same error messages and hung.

Guess I'll go do something else for a while...

But thanks anyway.

- Casey

Well...
Old
zonedabone

Default Well... - 01-30-2010, 07:10 PM

One more thing! This might work. In the alice folder, next to the application you're used to using, there's a program called "Slow and Steady Alice." This will run in OpenGL mode, as opposed to DirectX. Since DirectX is a Microsoft technology, your linux version may or may not have it. this would cause a java run time error. Another solution is to go into Alice Prefferences, and set the render order to this:

JOGL (Jave OpenGL)
None
DirectX