Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Help with making a character walk in different directions
Old
EmperorZiggy

Default Help with making a character walk in different directions - 10-26-2011, 08:16 PM

When using Alice I am unable to make my people walk anywhere but forward or to a specific object. there are no visible options that I could use to change their direction or anything. How do I make a character walk left for example? Please help I'm trying to get some assignments done for class as soon as possible

Old
andr3wrulz

Default 10-26-2011, 08:26 PM

Well you could just use the objects turn function then move forward/walking animation, im sorry if that's not what you were looking for, but that's what i gathered from your post

Old
EmperorZiggy

Default 10-26-2011, 09:30 PM

Well I was wondering when you're in the events tab how do you make it so when you press a key you can make the character walk in a direction other than forward (I should have been more specific). I figured out how to move them and make them walk but it seems like I have to choose as the program crashes if I try to use both

Old
dakota95

Default 11-02-2011, 12:55 PM

Here is a basic idea. Tell the arrow keys to move the "camera". set "hare" vehicle "camera".
Attached Files
File Type: a2w Walking Hare.a2w (2.80 MB, 19 views)

Wasd
Old
Centuri0n

Post Wasd - 11-05-2011, 10:12 AM

If you want you can also make 4 events. 1= If W is pressed, Camera move forward (desired distance)

and do the same for ASD

Old
InsertName

Default 11-05-2011, 10:47 AM

normaly when i do something like this. I make 4 events. I put them all to "when key is pressed". I set them to desiered keys. I make the movements and set them all to adrupt. ( movements could be move up, down, left right x meters, or forward backward, turn left turn right. x meters and revolutions.)
set them to charecter and viola!

__№_₤⅞__
Handguns: http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?p=45349
MINECRAFT IN ALICE: http://alice.org/community/showthread.php?p=48208
My Stupid Animations: http://alice.org/community/album.php?albumid=119

Old
Powerhouse64

Default 11-05-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertName View Post
normaly when i do something like this. I make 4 events. I put them all to "when key is pressed". I set them to desiered keys. I make the movements and set them all to adrupt. ( movements could be move up, down, left right x meters, or forward backward, turn left turn right. x meters and revolutions.)
I do this too, but for continuous movement, right click the event, and change to "while a key is pressed" and make the method "camera move at speed [X] style [abruptly] for[X time] and that will make your camera move while the key is pressed, rather than a certain distance every time the key is pressed. This way will work more like maneuvering in Zelda (where you can move as far as you want, as long as you keep the directional key held down) as opposed to maneuvering in, say, Pokemon (where you can only move 1 unit at a time)

Hogwarts: Where everything is made up, and the points don't matter

Old
dakota95

Cool 11-06-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertName View Post
ya that's what I normally do but for the sake of time I did it differently

Old
dakota95

Cool 11-06-2011, 01:29 PM

@powerhouse64

yep, that's what I do. And it works well. The only time I do it when key is pressed is when I am making something jump.