Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Camera Question
Old
alofferman
Guest
 
Status:
Posts: n/a
Default Camera Question - 02-15-2013, 10:05 AM

When I'm moving objects around in the Add Objects part of Alice I move the view around using the arrows. This screws up my camera and thereby any directions I've given the camera object once I've gotten done adding objects. Is there any way around this or is the best option to put in all the objects in the starting positions first and then move the camera around? Thanks for any help!
   
Reply With Quote
Old
bob3584
Senior Member
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 180
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: In a Cardboard Box.
Default 02-15-2013, 11:55 AM

Could you send me a sample of what your talking about?


My avatar will always be a preview of what I am currently working on.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
fourbros
Senior Member
 
fourbros's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 476
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Right Behind You...
Default 02-15-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alofferman View Post
When I'm moving objects around in the Add Objects part of Alice I move the view around using the arrows. This screws up my camera and thereby any directions I've given the camera object once I've gotten done adding objects. Is there any way around this or is the best option to put in all the objects in the starting positions first and then move the camera around? Thanks for any help!
Here's my advice: Create a 'when world starts' method called whatever you want. Move the camera where you want it to be. Then place a dummy object on the camera. Then in the start method, for the first thing use the camera's "move to" method to make the camera move to the dummy object. From here use turn methods to orient the camera. Tell me if this helps you.


My avatar is from the anime "Hyouka".......

You've probably never seen it, much less heard of it.....

You should watch it........


print("Hello World")
This is python code.

Lakers > Clippers
Vikings > Packers
Cardinals > Brewers/Pirates/Cubs/Reds
   
Reply With Quote
Old
bob3584
Senior Member
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 180
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: In a Cardboard Box.
Default 02-15-2013, 05:53 PM

If that's his problem, then it will help, otherwise, he should take my advice and post it.


My avatar will always be a preview of what I am currently working on.
   
Reply With Quote
Pretty Close
Old
MrMoke
Senior Member
 
MrMoke's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Smile Pretty Close - 02-24-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbros View Post
Here's my advice: Create a 'when world starts' method called whatever you want. Move the camera where you want it to be. Then place a dummy object on the camera. Then in the start method, for the first thing use the camera's "move to" method to make the camera move to the dummy object. From here use turn methods to orient the camera. Tell me if this helps you.
Set the camera to a given position for a scene.
Drop a dummy on the camera.
Any time you want to go back, "Set point of view" for the camera to that Dummy object.
   
Reply With Quote
Dummy objects are the way to go.
Old
chickentree
Super Moderator
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 212
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Frosno, Ca
Default Dummy objects are the way to go. - 02-25-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoke View Post
Set the camera to a given position for a scene.
Drop a dummy on the camera.
Any time you want to go back, "Set point of view" for the camera to that Dummy object.
I agree with you, just a couple of things to beware of:
1. After you create a dummy object, go to the Dummy folder in the object tree. Open the folder and rename the object. I usually use something like "initCamera" to indicate what this dummy object is for.
2. The same goes for other dummy objects. If you want the camera to have 5 different positions, make a dummy object for each and then just set the Cameras "Point of View" to that dummy object. The camera will move and it will be positioned exactly as it was when you placed the dummy. Again I recommend naming the dummy objects, once you get past 2 or 3 (dummy1, dummy2, dummy3 ...) it is difficult to keep them straight (Not that that has ever happend to MEeeee, of course, but I have heard of others that had this problem.)

Mark
   
Reply With Quote
Absolutely
Old
MrMoke
Senior Member
 
MrMoke's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Default Absolutely - 02-28-2013, 10:15 PM

   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
camera, objects

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Copyright ©2017, Carnegie Mellon University
Alice 2.x 1999-2012, Alice 3.x 2008-2012, Carnegie Mellon University. All rights reserved.