Alice Community

Alice Community (http://www.alice.org/community/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.alice.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Looking for some gaming history and a few laughs to go with it? (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=6964)

Crusader 07-20-2011 06:54 AM

Looking for some gaming history and a few laughs to go with it?

Yep, I know of a humorous gaming-related webseries. It is called The Angry Video Game Nerd. Basically, it involves a gamer reviewing old games that are deemed to be of low-quality. For example, he did this video on Superman 64. It started with Superman on Commodore 64, which was considered decent, and before that I didn't even know there was a Superman game for Commodore 64 (then again, I don't even own one), and then there was what you were expecting: Superman on Nintendo 64, which is considered one of the worst, if not the worst, video games of all time. But I'm warning you, the majority of what makes this so hilarious comes through commentary littered with profanity and toilet humor, but that's what makes it so good. Yeah, I've learned a lot about old video games from this series. For example, there was this company called Wisdom Tree that made the unauthorized NES games based on the Bible, that commonly involved blatent rip-offs of classics, like Bible Adventures, 3 lousy Bible games crammed onto one cartridge that ripped off Super Mario Bros. 2, and even the ONLY unauthorized Super Nintendo Entertainment System game, Super Noah's Ark 3D, which was actually the same thing as WOLFENSTEIN 3D, only instead of shooting Nazis with pistols, knives, SMG's, and chainguns, you're knocking out goats with a slingshot. You can find this series at either Cinemassacre.com, GameTrailers.Com or ScrewAttack.com, and, of course, YouTube. But for YouTube, the videos are uploaded about one year after their original posts.

x2495iiii 07-20-2011 08:56 AM

I've seen those. They're usually funny, but extremely vulgar. He makes some of the grossest analogies I've ever heard with some of the the worst profanity as well.

sfunk 07-20-2011 11:48 AM

Yeah he is pretty funny, I learned his intro song on the piano about a year ago, I think his rants are funny

Crusader 07-23-2011 07:21 AM

Yeah, that stuff is awesome, and now there's going to be a MOVIE where he will finally review a game he has avoided at all costs: ET The Extra-Terrestrial for the Atari 2600. Seriously, ScrewAttack, two years ago, put it #3 on their Top 10 Biggest Busts list, behind Duke Nukem Forever (this was shortly after the original development staff on that game was fired, but before Gearbox Software stepped in to finish the job), and the Gizmondo.

sfunk 07-23-2011 04:06 PM

I actually had that game, it was just as horrible as it looked lol (E.T. I mean)

Crusader 07-26-2011 07:18 PM

[QUOTE=sfunk;39595]I actually had that game, it was just as horrible as it looked lol (E.T. I mean)[/QUOTE]

I'll take your word for it. I recall that I saw the movie once, and that was years ago. But seriously, they made that JUNK that they would dare call a video game in just 6 WEEKS!?!? Just goes to show you that you can't take a major movie license, make a game out of it in 6 weeks to concide with the film's theatrical release and be out in time to be under our Christmas trees, and expect everything to go well. Yeah, you can expect quite the opposite. That game almost DESTROYED THE VIDEO GAME INDUSTRY AS WE KNOW IT!

sfunk 07-26-2011 07:30 PM

well the atari system was under fire before that, but it was just lucky that the economy started booming again allowing people to buy the entertainment systems allowing the market to rise, but sadly it is declining greatly again the past few years

Crusader 07-26-2011 07:43 PM

[QUOTE=sfunk;39766]well the atari system was under fire before that, but it was just lucky that the economy started booming again allowing people to buy the entertainment systems allowing the market to rise, but sadly it is declining greatly again the past few years[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we're lucky Nintendo managed to dig us out of that hole with the NES, but why do you say it's declining again? Well, I guess I do have to complain about offers for exclusive in-game content bundles when you buy it at a certain store or pre-order it or whatever, and I feel that all DLC's should be for free, like Perfect Dark Zero Map Pack 2, and seriously, one more add-on pack for Call of Duty: Black Ops, and buying all of them will, if my calculations are correct, have been more costly than the standard edition at the game's launch. What were they thinking charging us $15.00 each for this stuff? They must be trying to roll in even more cash, which doesn't seem all that necessary, considering the fact that the game made a billion dollars in just 6 weeks, selling 20 million units, with 12 million of those copies alone being for the Xbox 360 version, usurping Halo 3 as the best selling game on the console. They should just release the DLC's as a patch, since these guys already release patches ahead of time to make the add-ons compatable with the game.

sfunk 07-26-2011 08:34 PM

most companies have released half of their staff if not more, There have been many game ti that were in production before they were dropped just because of budget cuts, the reason they are hurting so bad(my own opinion on this) is because of internet game play, people get one game and play it for around a year or so without ever thinking aobut buying another game, yeah they get a little cash flow from DLC, but that really isn't that much due to the process in which a game goes through to get to the point it ends at, they normally break even with their first big sales, and then earn their profits later when and if people are stil buying their product

Crusader 08-02-2011 11:51 AM

[QUOTE=sfunk;39769]most companies have released half of their staff if not more, There have been many game ti that were in production before they were dropped just because of budget cuts, the reason they are hurting so bad(my own opinion on this) is because of internet game play, people get one game and play it for around a year or so without ever thinking aobut buying another game, yeah they get a little cash flow from DLC, but that really isn't that much due to the process in which a game goes through to get to the point it ends at, they normally break even with their first big sales, and then earn their profits later when and if people are stil buying their product[/QUOTE]

I see. Also, I feel that ingame bonuses for preorder and special edition purchases is unfair. For example, Fallout: New Vegas had the Caravan Pack for preordering from Steam and Wal-Mart, the Classic Pack from GameStop and EB Games, Best Buy's Mercenary Pack, which apparently makes the game unplayable if it and Patch 1.3.0.444 are installed, at least for the Xbox 360 version and from Amazon.com and Direct 2 Drive, the Tribal Pack. Those that did not preorder get just the base game, nothing extra and to get the full experience, you'd have to preorder four copies of the game, which would be highly unlikely, and ridiculous, or, potentially something I would condone: piracy.