Alice Community

Alice Community (http://www.alice.org/community/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.alice.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Hate Alice? Rant about it here! (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=6168)

Dj Tech42 07-16-2011 10:01 PM

They should improve Alice so there isn't enough reason to hate it. :D It's mostly because of how buggy it is most of the time.

Alice with mods can be pretty awesome, though. Although, I still can't get the save to file object working :(

jediaction 07-16-2011 11:19 PM

Yah. I wish I had artys alice, but my splash image....that could be arranged

David B 07-17-2011 09:41 AM

If I remember correctly, Arty uploaded a zip file with the modified source files to my "Cool Alice Hacks" thread.

David B 07-20-2011 02:21 PM

Would the person who said that they hate Alice be willing to step forward with their argument? I don't care if you don't, but it would be nice to hear a reason.

Nighthawk0973 07-20-2011 02:23 PM

I think Alice is great, it has soem very lacking elements though and I would hate to have to use it for my school:

A. Because the teacher would be instructing me how to use a program that I could make games with when I was 12 :D

B. Becuase I'd rather be learning something more productive, like acual Java. Sure, I already know Java, but I could probably get in an advanced class of some sort and learn more :D

[QUOTE="Dj Tech42"]They should improve Alice so there isn't enough reason to hate it. It's mostly because of how buggy it is most of the time.

Alice with mods can be pretty awesome, though. Although, I still can't get the save to file object working[/QUOTE]

I think that people would 'Hate' it because they'd rather do something besides sitting on the computer and doing something they don't understand/care about. They might want to watch TV, play video games, or play sports. It's great that people get to use this program and all, but it'd really suck to have a time limit on when to finish a project.

I'd rather do it on my own time on what I want, and have it be my choice to do it, no the schools. Man, people 'rant' alice more on youtube comments:

[QUOTE="randomyoutubeguy"]
**** you alice you *****
[/QUOTE]

totally unessecary. It was the comments of somebodys alice project....

simsman2011 07-29-2011 10:03 AM

There is a dangerous bug that when adding an object like a house or barn the other objects can move THROUGH THE WALLS of that object...........
But Alice is a great program if you want to learn how to program

Dj Tech42 07-29-2011 10:42 AM

That happens because Alice doesn't have built-in collision detection.

DensetsuNoKaboom 07-29-2011 10:49 AM

[QUOTE=simsman2011;39916]There is a dangerous bug that when adding an object like a house or barn the other objects can move THROUGH THE WALLS of that object...........
But Alice is a great program if you want to learn how to program[/QUOTE]

You want collision detection, program it yourself.

arty-fishL 07-29-2011 04:00 PM

[QUOTE=simsman2011;39916]There is a dangerous bug that when adding an object like a house or barn the other objects can move THROUGH THE WALLS of that object...........
NOT a bug

David B 07-29-2011 08:01 PM

I actually like that Alice doesn't have collision detection. What if you wanted to make a program where you had to pass through objects?