Alice Community

Alice Community (http://www.alice.org/community/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.alice.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Merging objects in Alice (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=6503)

x2495iiii 05-10-2011 11:27 PM

This'll come in handy for some of the more complex Alice made models I've seen. I once saw an extremely faithful recreation of kirby and sonic for a Super Smash Bros world, but he never got it off the ground because of the complexity of the models.

arty-fishL 05-11-2011 03:27 AM

[QUOTE=x2495iiii;35531]This'll come in handy for some of the more complex Alice made models I've seen. I once saw an extremely faithful recreation of kirby and sonic for a Super Smash Bros world, but he never got it off the ground because of the complexity of the models.[/QUOTE]That's what Im hoping to happen, just got to squash these annoying bugs :mad:

iua 05-11-2011 06:43 PM

I want Gloo bad.
I want Gloo. I want it NOW!!!
lol

sfunk 05-11-2011 09:42 PM

[QUOTE=x2495iiii;35531]This'll come in handy for some of the more complex Alice made models I've seen. I once saw an extremely faithful recreation of kirby and sonic for a Super Smash Bros world, but he never got it off the ground because of the complexity of the models.[/QUOTE]

If you like I could create an actual usable model of kirdy for you in sketch up, kirby wouldn't be hard at all, just like five spheres would have to be made for him lol

arty-fishL 05-12-2011 06:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
To illustrate the issues I'm having with Gloo I have glued together Jediaction's supercannon from [I]Halo - The Generator[/I]. This model was made up of a docking station, some cylinders and bits of trees.

Firstly when you import it you will notice that there are only three subparts of the super_cannon object showing in the object tree, which are the - renamed - subparts of the docking station (the parent of the group), but there are clearly more than 3 objects that make up the super cannon.

Upon closer inspection you will find that in the viewport you can click on the hidden subparts and their properties will show up, along with the name at the top, but they are still not visible in the object tree.

Next you should find that the objects will only move together if you drag the parent object (the docking station). If you drag any child part it will move as if [I]affect subparts[/I] was ticked.

But, on the positive side, its still glued together as one object, it can be exported and imported as one object, it can be copied as one object, if dragged correctly it will move as one object.

What do you think? :confused:

reaper1395 05-12-2011 03:38 PM

it wont let me open it, you saved it as a2c, not a2w

arty-fishL 05-12-2011 04:54 PM

[QUOTE=reaper1395;35615]it wont let me open it, you saved it as a2c, not a2w[/QUOTE]That's how you're supposed to save objects, so you can use them in any world. Just go to [I]File > Import[/I] in Alice rather than [I]File > Open[/I] .
Or just press [I]Alt-F-I[/I]

reuben2011 05-12-2011 07:21 PM

[QUOTE=arty-fishL;35594]
Next you should find that the objects will only move together if you drag the parent object (the docking station). If you drag any child part it will move as if [I]affect subparts[/I] was ticked.

[/QUOTE]

All objects have a property named something like isFirstClass and if the value is true, the object or sub-object will be movable. In objects that contain sub-objects, by default, the isFirstClass property of the parent object is true while the isFirstClass property of the child objects is false. It sounds like you have the isFirstClass of the sub-objects set to true when they should be false. I'm not sure if you already knew that, just trying to help.

arty-fishL 05-13-2011 04:23 AM

Thankyou

[QUOTE=reuben2011;35637]All objects have a property named something like isFirstClass and if the value is true, the object or sub-object will be movable. In objects that contain sub-objects, by default, the isFirstClass property of the parent object is true while the isFirstClass property of the child objects is false. It sounds like you have the isFirstClass of the sub-objects set to true when they should be false. I'm not sure if you already knew that, just trying to help.[/QUOTE]Oh [IMG]http://www.alice.org/community/images/icons/icon3.gif[/IMG]. Thanks, I've always wondered what that property done, I could never figure it out, probably because I was only messing about with parent objects.

DensetsuNoKaboom 05-15-2011 05:40 PM

You just need to make it set the isFirstClass of all the subparts it creates to false.