Alice Community

Alice Community (http://www.alice.org/community/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.alice.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Trivia! (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=3674)

x2495iiii 12-19-2009 07:25 PM

Trivia!

3 Attachment(s)
Alright, I suggested that a trivia section be made and a bunch of you said that'd be a cool idea, so here's my first shot at making that happen!

So here's the rules:
-The trivia will be hosted initially by me. After someone reaches a certain amount of points, like 50, from answering questions, they'll get to host for awhile.
-Questions can be about anything, but it has to be appropriate for all ages.
-No spamming or flaming or junk like that.
-If you answer a question, but the answer is incomplete or can be elaborated on, another player can answer the same question in an attempt to one-up the previous answer. The host will decide which answer is the best.
-Questions will range from 1-4 points, 1 being easiest and 4 being super-hard.
-I'll see if I can think of stuff to reward you guys, like new models or something. I'll have to get creative...

So here goes!

Question 1:
What powers do you start out with in Infamous for the PS3? (There are four by my count) 3 points.

Score: Nobody's got nothing yet.

Reward: When 10 questions are answered, I'll post my latest project: A very, very nice looking city model pack. Much better looking than the city terrain that comes with Alice.

zarfang8 12-19-2009 07:41 PM

You dont start with any.

x2495iiii 12-19-2009 07:43 PM

Wrong-o. You start with four basic offensive powers, you don't have to buy them or activate a substation to enable them. What are they?

Delpenator 12-19-2009 07:43 PM

1. shockwave
2. lightning bolt
3. shock grenade
4. megawatt hammer

x2495iiii 12-19-2009 07:46 PM

Nope. I'm not telling you if any of those were right or wrong either, that's too easy.

Delpenator 12-19-2009 07:54 PM

lol fine. How about now?

1. shockwave
2. lightning bolt

can't be arc lightning or overload burst, since you can only get those if you are evil or good, and you start of neutral.

3. precision
4. thunder drop

x2495iiii 12-19-2009 07:56 PM

Still off.

Delpenator 12-19-2009 07:59 PM

Oh, you must be counting non super power stuff.

1. shockwave
2. lightning bolt
3. reduced damage
4. melee

zarfang8 12-19-2009 08:00 PM

I never really played the game. i googled it. is that against the rules?

x2495iiii 12-19-2009 08:06 PM

No, you have to buy reduced damage. Keep trying.

I can't really prevent you from googling stuff, so you can if you want. If I want to challenge you guys, i'll make the question obscure or make it a unique puzzle or something.

To spice things up, I'm going to have more than one question active at a time, that way, if you don't have the video game or haven't seen the movie or whatever, you can still try and answer one of the other questions.

Question 1: What four powers do you start out with in Infamous for the PS3? (3)

Question 2: What was the name of the family-owned restaurant in the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding? (4)

Question 3: What two heroes were the main characters of the movie World's Finest? (2)

Question 4: What color is Mace Windu's lightsaber? (1)

Delpenator 12-19-2009 08:14 PM

4. I can't really answer any of the others (without googling, sorry about that, i just like points :p) but mace windu's lightsaber color is purple. I love star wars.:D

Here is a question for you: Which star wars episode was created completely in ascii?

x2495iiii 12-19-2009 08:29 PM

Go ahead and tell me, because I've got no clue, but remember, you've got to get a score of 50 to host the quiz and ask your own questions.

I don't mind you guys googling the answer if you have to.

You got the easy question, though, for the first point.

Active questions:

Question 2: What was the name of the family-owned restaurant in the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding? (4)

Question 3: What two heroes were the main characters of the movie World's Finest? (2)

Question 5: In chemistry, what is the opposite of an acid? (1)

Score:
Delpenator - 1

Delpenator 12-19-2009 08:30 PM

Turns out i have that movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding, and re-watched the first 15 or so minutes. The name of the restaurant is Zorba's. Also, i forgot how great a movie it is. Thanks for reminding me that. I'll probably rewatch the whole thing now.

x2495iiii 12-19-2009 08:33 PM

Tehnically it's Dancing Zorba's, but I'll let this one slide. You're off to a good head start with 5 points!

Question 5: In chemistry, what is the opposite of an acid? (1)

Question 6: What fundemental ability does Bass have over Megaman in Megaman and Bass for the GBA? (3)

Delpenator 12-19-2009 08:39 PM

Uhh, i'm taking chem.:D
5. The opposite of an acid is a base.

6. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

x2495iiii 12-19-2009 08:48 PM

Yup.

Question 6: What fundemental ability does Bass have over Megaman in Megaman and Bass for the GBA? (3)

Question 7: What were the names of the two rival companies in the beginning of the movie Paycheck? (3)

Score: Delpenator - 6

Delpenator 12-19-2009 08:52 PM

lol taht's all i can get.:confused:

Also, i can come up with many many questions so don't worry about it. The answer was episode IV. here is the link:
[url]http://www.asciimation.co.nz/[/url]

you can also view it in command prompt, unless you have vista.

Dameria 12-20-2009 11:34 AM

Answer 6: Is it the Bass Buster, or it his ability to fly and shoot more powerfully when he combines with Treble?

x2495iiii 12-20-2009 01:38 PM

I was looking for double-jump, but Bass Buster works too. The Treble fusion is a difference, but it isn't really a basic one, that's a special ability. It's still plain cool though.

Question 7: What were the names of the two rival companies in the beginning of the movie Paycheck? (3)

Question 8: On Homestarrunner.com, who are the Brothers Strong?

Dameria - 3

Nephtysis 12-20-2009 03:36 PM

Question 1) I think it's: Shockwave, Lightning Bolt, Melee and Thunder Drop
Question 3) Batman and Superman

oh, in Paycheck, are those 2 companies Intertrode and Allcom?

x2495iiii 12-20-2009 05:01 PM

You got the first two right, but I was talking about the company that he helped in the beginning of the movie, and it's rival.

Question 8: On Homestarrunner.com, who are the Brothers Strong? (2)

Question 9: How many Smurfs are needed to make gold? (3)

Question 10: What is a group of crows called? (2)

Nephtysis - 5
Dameria - 3

Nephtysis 12-20-2009 05:08 PM

The smurfs one: 6 smurfs are needed to make the philosophers stone to make gold :)

And it's a murder of crows.

Oh, and I just had a look at the movie and I think you refer to Nexxom and Ark (Arch? STC doesn't have subtitles) in Paycheck?

zarfang8 12-20-2009 07:30 PM

Is paycheck about a guy who lives 6 years later than this other girl and they send letters to each other that somehow time travel through a mailbox?

Delpenator 12-20-2009 11:22 PM

1. Strong Sad
2. Strong Mad
3. Strong Bad

x2495iiii 12-21-2009 01:07 AM

2 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=Nephtysis;14960]The smurfs one: 6 smurfs are needed to make the philosophers stone to make gold :)[/QUOTE]

Yup.

[QUOTE=Nephtysis;14960]And it's a murder of crows.[/QUOTE]

Yup.

[QUOTE=Nephtysis;14960]Oh, and I just had a look at the movie and I think you refer to Nexxom and Ark (Arch? STC doesn't have subtitles) in Paycheck?[/QUOTE]

I think that's right.

[QUOTE=zarfang8;14974]Is paycheck about a guy who lives 6 years later than this other girl and they send letters to each other that somehow time travel through a mailbox?[/QUOTE]

No, but it doesn't matter now, the question's been answered.

[QUOTE=Delpenator;14998]8.
1. Strong Sad
2. Strong Mad
3. Strong Bad[/QUOTE]

Yup.

Question 11: What does "clandestine" mean? (2)

Question 12: Who said "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it?" (3)

Question 13: On what currently running sci-fi series is there a character named Dr. Walter Bishop? (2)

Question 14: Who is Sendo Takeshi? (4)

Score: Nephtysis - 13
Delpenator - 8
Dameria - 3

That's ten questions: As promised, here's a world with the terrain textures, and a world with some squares arranged in a nice city-like pattern.

At the moment they look wonderful, but they're CRAZY EXPENSIVE (in terms of mb)! I'm working on a way to make them smaller while retaining as much quality as possible, but I'm not sure how well that's going to turn out for me.

Delpenator 12-21-2009 08:05 PM

lol, my English teacher was talking about that quote just last week! Also last year in history.
12. Francois(somethin or other)Voltaire

Dameria 12-21-2009 08:12 PM

11. Like cloak and dagger type stuff?

13. Fringe

14. That anime boxer guy from manga, right?

x2495iiii 12-24-2009 12:41 AM

K, I can update now, but I'm not sure when I'll get to check the questions again, so be patient with me, por favor.

By the way, I tried to make sure those last ones weren't really possible without the use of google, just to make sure you guys were okay with using it. I know there's no way someone else besides me watches/reads Hajime no Ippo (Question 14).

Question 15: How and why did Batgirl become Oracle? (2)

Question 16: When an acid is combined with a base, what two products are left behind after the resulting reaction? (3)

Question 17: Why aren't cashews ever sold in their shells? (4)

Question 18: What gives grass and other plant life its green pigmentation? (1)

Question 19: What calender event is named after the Norse diety Frey? (3)

Question 20: What American colony's inhabitants all mysteriously disappeared with only a word carved into the gatepost as the clue to their whereabouts? (2)

Question 21: Which is the odd man out: K, L, R, H, A, N? (3)

Question 22: In the Billy Joel song "We Didn't Start the Fire," what is the seventh event? (2, and the year it is associated with for 2 more)

That should keep you occupied for awhile, I hope.

Score: Nephtysis - 13
Delpenator - 11
Dameria - 11

Delpenator 12-24-2009 06:44 PM

16. A salt and water

18. Chlorophyll in chloroplasts

20. Roanoke colony

21. A

zarfang8 12-26-2009 12:44 PM

Cashews contains powerful chemical irritants. They can be harmful to anyone with sensitive skin, Even if you aren't allergic.

How are you supposed to get the model?
There are two attachments, one is some textures, and the rest is just a bunch of roads with a corner full of grass. I am kinda confused on How i am supposed to make these look right.

x2495iiii 01-03-2010 07:26 PM

You guys are right, but I don't understand your question, zarfang. You asked how to get the model, but I just said that the whole thing was basically a bunch of really nice looking (compare them to the city terrain that comes in the gallery) city textures that should make creating cityscapes much easier. Over my vacation I did a little experimenting (not a lot, mind you, after all, it was my vacation) and figured out how to reduce the filesize of photos without reducing their quality too much. I'll do that to the city textures and re-release them, along with some of the other cool stuff I made over vacation.

x2495iiii 01-06-2010 02:05 AM

That isn't the answer to any of the questions, sorry.

jediaction 01-06-2010 10:01 AM

I dont knwo that video game well at all

x2495iiii 02-01-2010 08:52 AM

K, back from hiatus: the Trivia Thread!

Question 19: What calender event is named after the Norse diety Frey? (3)

Question 21: Which is the odd man out: K, L, R, H, A, N? (It,s not A, 3)

Question 22: In the Billy Joel song "We Didn't Start the Fire," what is the seventh event? (2, and the year it is associated with for 2 more)

Question 23: What is the speed of sound in m/s? (2 points)

Question 24: What does 'nascent' mean? (2 points)

Question 25: What boxer is known for inventing the combination uppercut-hook blow called the "Smash?" (3 ponits)

Score: Delpenator - 17
Nephtysis - 13
Dameria - 11
zarfang8 - 4

Nephtysis 02-01-2010 03:53 PM

I was wondering which questions were still unanswered. Here are a couple of answers:

19) The day "friday" is named after the Norse deity Frey
23) The speed of sound depends a lot on the medium. For instance the speed through air at room temperature is 340 m/s, while it is 331 m/s in dry air at 0 degrees C. In water sound travels much faster (1500 m/s) and through steel it's 5800 m/s. There are even metals in which the speed goes up as far as about 12000 m/s.
24) Literally means: "being born" (a bit broader it can also say: "beginning to exist or develop")
25) the Heavyweight boxer Donovan Razor Ruddock

21) I think "L" is the odd one out here.
22) Joe DiMaggio is the seventh event in the song and I think the year you refer to would then be 1954 in which he maried Marilyn Monroe.

x2495iiii 02-01-2010 04:12 PM

Got em all right but 21.

Question 21: Which is the odd man out: K, R, H, N? (3)

Question 26: What movie is this quote from: "So when did the nut take over the nuthouse?" (2 points)

Question 27: Who invented the word 'vorpal?'

Question 28: Name three types of cases the U.S. Federal Courts have district over. (3 points)

Question 29: Who was most famously known for voicing Bugs Bunny? (2 points)

Question30: Name two animated movies with a character named Cale in them. (4 points)

Score: Nephtysis - 23
Delpenator - 17
Dameria - 11
zarfang8 - 4

Nephtysis 02-01-2010 04:22 PM

As you posted before I did my last update I repost for Q22:

22) Joe DiMaggio is the seventh event in the song and I think the year you refer to would then be 1954 in which he maried Marilyn Monroe.

21) the R has a round line in it, so maybe that is the odd one then?

26) from "Batman" (1992)
27) Lewis Carroll
29) Mel Blanc

Nephtysis 02-01-2010 04:38 PM

28)
- Civil Case
- Criminal Case
- Bankruptcy Case

30)
- Titan A.E.
- Ronin Warriors

x2495iiii 02-12-2010 10:56 AM

All of them are right but 26 and 28.

Question 26: What movie is this quote from: "So when did the nut take over the nuthouse?" (2 points)

Question 28: Name three types of cases the U.S. Federal Courts have district over. (3 points)

Question 31: What's the name of the planet the Na'avi live on in Avatar? (1)

Question 32: What is the name of the protagonist of Uncharted? (1)

Question 33: What was Cornelius Vanderbilt famous for? (3)

Question 34: What is a flechette and why aren't they used in wars anymore? (4)

Question 35: Name the three authors of the Alice Textbook. (2)

Score: Nephtysis - 38 (king of the hill!)
Delpenator - 17
Dameria - 11
zarfang8 - 4

Zack Strife 02-13-2010 11:54 AM

I know I'm a little late but I'm joining too.
31. The na'avi are from pandora an it is technically not a planet but a moon:p
32. The protagonist of uncharted is Nathon Drake.
34. A flechette is a small steel projectile that was dropped from planes and zepplins during WWI. They are not used because they they were widly used in civilian areas and detractors argued that they conflicted with the 4th Geneva convention