Alice Community

Alice Community (http://www.alice.org/community/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.alice.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Javascript and port forwarding (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=9412)

arty-fishL 08-07-2012 11:18 PM

Javascript and port forwarding

I just wanted to do a quick poll to see how any active users can do basic Javascript (just the programming constructs, ability to use it in relation to html/css doesn't matter) and h many people understand and can do port forwarding.

ANSWER BOTH QUESTIONS, I ENABLED MULTIPLE ANSWERS, JUST DON'T ANSWER YES [B]AND[/B] NO ON ONE QUESTION.

The reason I ask is because if nobody can, then I am going to have to go all advanced with ArtyOnline and introduce NAT hole punching and some sort of secure client side scripting through Alice.

If a fair amount of people can, then I can take my time in making it simpler.

sfunk 08-07-2012 11:51 PM

well Mr. Fish, I do not currently have the knowledge for either javascript or port forwarding, however; I have currently been trying to learn programming languages again(slowly due to 40-60 hour work weeks), so I will look into this and try to get a good understanding of it.

jediaction 08-08-2012 01:20 PM

Yes, I understand Java Script and program my video games with it in Unity 3D. Port forwarding I'm not an expert at but it does not bewilder me. I just chose yes for that answer.

drellem 08-08-2012 02:43 PM

For clarification, I wanted to point out that there are at least a couple billion implementations of JavaScript, and if you know any of the following (and can learn to use a library well) you'll be fine:

-Rhino (definitely the best to know)
-Jscript
-Actionscript (Adobe Flash)
-ExtendScript (Adobe again)
-OpenLaszlo (Pseudo-Flash)
-CriScript
-QtScript (GUI)
-Objective-J
-UnityScript (A friend to many Alice users--see above).

These are just the bigger implementation/dialects.
Example:
var thing1;
function stuff(param){
//something
}

arty-fishL 08-08-2012 05:04 PM

So far the results are not sounding too bad. I'm feeling optimistic.

[QUOTE=drellem;50677]-Rhino (definitely the best to know)[/QUOTE]
ArtyOnline uses Rhino, so that's good to know.

jediaction 08-08-2012 09:33 PM

[QUOTE=drellem;50677]For clarification, I wanted to point out that there are at least a couple billion implementations of JavaScript, and if you know any of the following (and can learn to use a library well) you'll be fine:

-Rhino (definitely the best to know)
-Jscript
-Actionscript (Adobe Flash)
-ExtendScript (Adobe again)
-OpenLaszlo (Pseudo-Flash)
-CriScript
-QtScript (GUI)
-Objective-J
-UnityScript (A friend to many Alice users--see above).

These are just the bigger implementation/dialects.
Example:
var thing1;
function stuff(param){
//something
}[/QUOTE]

Unity Script as in Unity 3d?

drellem 08-08-2012 10:02 PM

Yeah.

jediaction 08-09-2012 12:38 PM

I use Unity Java Script then, and Jscript.