Alice Community

Alice Community (http://www.alice.org/community/index.php)
-   Works-In-Progress (http://www.alice.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   New FPS (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=4788)

x2495iiii 08-19-2010 10:34 PM

[QUOTE=debussybunny563;24145]At X, do you have to download a certain program to open Alice files as .zip files?

[/QUOTE]

7-zip. It's free, powerful, and intuitive. [URL="http://www.7-zip.org/"]Get it now.[/URL]

debussybunny563 08-20-2010 08:33 AM

[QUOTE]7-zip. It's free, powerful, and intuitive. Get it now.[/QUOTE]
[SIZE="2"]How do I find out if my computer is x64 or 32-bit?

Also, I'd like people to start making more suggestions now on features to add/change.

I think I'm going to make a starting menu from which you can only choose one 'class' of weapons, which is basically a primary and secondary to carry around.

Any features you'd like to see? Things like a HUD (what to add on it), weapons to add (though I can't guarantee I have a usable model. Generally kind of picky on what to use, as I need subparts for things like magazines), etc.[/SIZE]

arty-fishL 08-20-2010 04:54 PM

thats a strange mix of terms, you should have x86 and x64 together OR 32 bit and 64 bit together in a sentence, not mixed, not that it makes a difference or that anybody cares.
In Vista (im sure its the same in 7, dont know about xp) go to Control Panel > System and Maintenance > System and it should be written after "system type:" . 64-bit is x64 and 32-bit is x86.

Im really liking this so far.

The enemies still do seem not very aware of you even when they are staring right at you. They can be quite random. I chose veteran and began killing from where I started and they never once saw me. I started in recruit and they all saw me straight away and started shooting. Also the ammo count is now half off the screen for me, even when not aiming down my sights.

Also do you mean categories for classes like in battlefield bc2? Like medic, recon (you need some sniper rifles), assault, engineer or like in mw2?

Dont be a copycat, but the HUDs in jedi's FPSs are very good.

debussybunny563 08-20-2010 05:22 PM

[SIZE="2"][QUOTE]The enemies still do seem not very aware of you even when they are staring right at you. They can be quite random. I chose veteran and began killing from where I started and they never once saw me. I started in recruit and they all saw me straight away and started shooting.[/QUOTE]
Hmm. I have it so that you still have to be within a certain distance of the enemies for them to see you, 'cause it's a snow level and there's some fog.

Also, if you're lying down, you can sneak up closer without being noticed, so I think the reason they saw you once and not the other time is that you either got closer to them or stood up, since you start out lying down.

[QUOTE]Also the ammo count is now half off the screen for me, even when not aiming down my sights.[/QUOTE]

Did you ever move things around? They're fine for me, even after playing it MANY MANY times.

[QUOTE](you need some sniper rifles)[/QUOTE]

In fact, I'm implementing the AWP right now.

Update and whatnot on semi-automatic fire.
Previously the Desert Eagle was 'full-auto' in that you could hold down space and it'd fire repeatedly (if you've played it before, you know what I mean).
Now, you have to press space for every shot, so I was able to get a semi-automatic system.

The AWP is also semi-auto. Aiming is interesting now, as the AWP is a sniper rifle, and it has a scope.

I searched google for "png reticle," found a large and good quality (~1600x1600 pixels) picture that suited my needs (couldn't just be a circle with lines, it had to be placed on a black background-you'll see).
Opened in GIMP, deleted the white, and imported into Alice.
The black doesn't stretch to the entire screen, but two black squares on either side solves that (though with minor problems that I'll hopefully solve later).

A snow level without a sniper rifle does seem to lack something.

However, I also added silencers to the M4, UMP, and P90, so that would kind of make up for it.

[QUOTE]Also do you mean categories for classes like in battlefield bc2? Like medic, recon (you need some sniper rifles), assault, engineer or like in mw2?[/QUOTE]

Never played Battlefield Bad Company 2 before.
I basically mean each class is just a pair of weapons.
So, it'd be like
Class Sniper: AWP and P90
Class Recon: UMP and Desert Eagle

[QUOTE]Dont be a copycat[/QUOTE]
4 deaths=copycat

Found out, it's a 32-bit.
Thnx!

EDIT: I actually added this quite a few days ago, but the health system is revised.
Instead of the previous "if enemy is within so-and-so meters of character, lose this much, else lose this much," there's a formula so that the damage you do always varies at different ranges and whatnot. Also, if you get a headshot, you can get lucky and you'll get a x2 damage multiplier.[/SIZE]

jediaction 08-21-2010 07:21 AM

[QUOTE=debussybunny563;24357]
[SIZE=2]EDIT: I actually added this quite a few days ago, but the health system is revised.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Instead of the previous "if enemy is within so-and-so meters of character, lose this much, else lose this much," there's a formula so that the damage you do always varies at different ranges and whatnot. Also, if you get a headshot, you can get lucky and you'll get a x2 damage multiplier.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Just to say. Ive made a ton of FPS games on this community. From experience, your gonna want sound. Its gonna make your game a whole lot more exciting. I cant say My Halo game anymore because Zone is helping out. But, "Our Halo Game" has sounds and is gonna be epic.

DensetsuNoKaboom 08-21-2010 07:36 AM

I don't like having sounds in Alice games. I'll put them in, but I don't like them cause occasionally, based on how much the computer is particularly screwed when I get on, the speakers will fail, causing any game with sound to be unplayable until I fix the speakers, which is a long and tedious process involving restarting the computer approximately 592,176 times, waiting for that one moment where both the sound and Internet actually work at the same time.

...So that's why I say, no sound please. But of course it's your game, you can do what you want.

debussybunny563 08-21-2010 09:00 AM

Sound

[SIZE="2"]Sound's probably going to come last.

One of the main problems I have is that sounds like gunshots I download are prolonged in that each shot could be a 3 second clip.
There's the actual gunshot, but then it also includes the echo, which I definitely don't want.
In automatic fire, using these sounds there will be pauses inbetween the bursts.

Also, I definitely agree with jedi in that sound ups the quality of a game.
However, to Densetsu and all others who don't want sound, I'll release a version with no sound as well. :)

For now though, no sound. :(

BTW, if you find any good sound clips with no echo after the main gunshot, let me know. :D[/SIZE]

x2495iiii 08-21-2010 12:55 PM

Sans-echo gunshots sound terrible. You're supposed to code it so that the sound is played by different sources over top of each other. That way, the last shot still has the echo, making it sound realistic.

jediaction 08-21-2010 02:14 PM

[QUOTE=DensetsuNoKaboom;24372]I don't like having sounds in Alice games. I'll put them in, but I don't like them cause occasionally, based on how much the computer is particularly screwed when I get on, the speakers will fail, causing any game with sound to be unplayable until I fix the speakers, which is a long and tedious process involving restarting the computer approximately 592,176 times, waiting for that one moment where both the sound and Internet actually work at the same time.

...So that's why I say, no sound please. But of course it's your game, you can do what you want.[/QUOTE]

k:D

jediaction 08-21-2010 02:16 PM

[QUOTE=debussybunny563;24373][SIZE=2]Sound's probably going to come last.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]One of the main problems I have is that sounds like gunshots I download are prolonged in that each shot could be a 3 second clip.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]There's the actual gunshot, but then it also includes the echo, which I definitely don't want.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]In automatic fire, using these sounds there will be pauses inbetween the bursts.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Also, I definitely agree with jedi in that sound ups the quality of a game.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]However, to Densetsu and all others who don't want sound, I'll release a version with no sound as well. :)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]For now though, no sound. :([/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]BTW, if you find any good sound clips with no echo after the main gunshot, let me know. :D[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

But it storm. I found a way to have Echo gun shot sounds with automatic sounds.

debussybunny563 08-22-2010 11:14 AM

[QUOTE=x2495iiii;24317]7-zip. It's free, powerful, and intuitive. [URL="http://www.7-zip.org/"]Get it now.[/URL][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="2"]Just like in the ads.[/SIZE]

x2495iiii 08-22-2010 11:38 AM

Never hurts to advertise something that's free;).

DensetsuNoKaboom 08-22-2010 11:45 AM

[QUOTE=x2495iiii;24403]Never hurts to advertise something that's free;).[/QUOTE]

Hey guys! For all your learning-to-program needs, try ALICE!

Oh, and nice FPS. Could use a little more AI work though

debussybunny563 08-22-2010 11:47 AM

[QUOTE]Could use a little more AI work though[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="2"]Could you tell me what I need to work on?

BTW, update on what I'm doing.
Finished the AWP. Sniping is great.
Almost done with adding the MP5, I just need to add the reload animation.
I think the last weapon I'll add is either (or both) the revolver or a silenced pistol.[/SIZE]

DensetsuNoKaboom 08-22-2010 11:49 AM

Well, there's the enemy seeing you (I think they should see you if you get too close or shoot near them), and also when the enemy shoots you, it gets kinda a weird feeling. It's hard to describe.

debussybunny563 08-22-2010 11:55 AM

[SIZE="2"][QUOTE](I think they should see you if you get too close or shoot near them)[/QUOTE]
Oh, yeah. I forgot to say, I now have it so that if you shoot anywhere regardless whether you hit or not, if the weapon isn't silenced, the enemy will look in your direction to see where the sound came from.

They do see you if you get close. Do you think I should make them able to see you from even further away?
Also note, they can see you very easily if you get up. Whenever you are lying down (like at the beginning), it is harder for you to be noticed.

[QUOTE]when the enemy shoots you, it gets kinda a weird feeling. It's hard to describe.[/QUOTE]

Umm, not sure what to say about that. Could you be more specific?[/SIZE]

DensetsuNoKaboom 08-22-2010 02:45 PM

The "blood" effect could be better, and it makes you look up when you get hit.

debussybunny563 08-22-2010 04:32 PM

[SIZE="2"][QUOTE=DensetsuNoKaboom;24414]The "blood" effect could be better, and it makes you look up when you get hit.[/QUOTE]

Do you want the blood splatter like in Modern Warfare 2?
I could probably do that with a png billboard.

Looking up was intentional, as you would probably react to a bullet piercing your body. I'll make it come down again after you've been hit though.[/SIZE]

DensetsuNoKaboom 08-22-2010 04:54 PM

Personally, I would prefer something other than blood, but sure, you can do MW2 style.

And my main problem with looking up when you get shot is that I'm usually already looking up.

On a completely off-topic note, I can't tell what your avatar says.

debussybunny563 08-22-2010 04:59 PM

[SIZE="2"][QUOTE=DensetsuNoKaboom;24418]1. Personally, I would prefer something other than blood, but sure, you can do MW2 style.

2. And my main problem with looking up when you get shot is that I'm usually already looking up.

3. On a completely off-topic note, I can't tell what your avatar says.[/QUOTE]

1. Yeh, some people might have a problem with blood, so that'll have to wait.

2. You're already looking up?

3. You can probably make out the AK-47 part. It's Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) holding an AK-47, and underneath it says:

AK-47

When you absolutely, positively have to kill every orc in the room.

;)[/SIZE]

DensetsuNoKaboom 08-22-2010 05:21 PM

Yes, I'm already looking up, because usually whan the guys shoot me they get to shoot me again...and again...and again...

debussybunny563 08-22-2010 05:26 PM

[SIZE="2"]Ah, well, I've lessened the amount your vision shifts now (by half), so it shouldn't be too bad.
EDIT: It's lessened, as in your view comes down more. It still shifts up the same amount.

I'll post as soon as I finish the MP5 reload.[/SIZE]

DensetsuNoKaboom 08-22-2010 06:55 PM

That's good.

jediaction 08-22-2010 07:24 PM

[QUOTE=debussybunny563;24421][SIZE=2]Ah, well, I've lessened the amount your vision shifts now (by half), so it shouldn't be too bad.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]EDIT: It's lessened, as in your view comes down more. It still shifts up the same amount.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]I'll post as soon as I finish the MP5 reload.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Cool. Are there cutscenes coming?

debussybunny563 08-22-2010 07:27 PM

[SIZE="2"][QUOTE=jediaction;24427]Cool. Are there cutscenes coming?[/QUOTE]

What? He's asking me to do work? AAHHH!!! :eek:

I really don't know, since school's coming up and I might slow down on this project. Depends if I have the energy to finish.[/SIZE]

jediaction 08-23-2010 08:36 AM

hmm, right so do as much as you can while you have the chance!

debussybunny563 08-23-2010 01:40 PM

Update 8/23

[SIZE="2"]I'm having difficulties with the MP5 reload sequence.

I can't seem to get the character (who is a knight, by the way) to pull back the charging handle. I blame it on the knight object and its weird pivot stuff and all (i.e. left arm turn left means turn backward, but not necessarily if you have him in a different pose-very confusing, no standard). Everything else is well.

I'll release this prematurely anyway. Boohoo.

Note:
The scoping in for the AWP isn't perfect, as I had to use two black squares on either side of the 'scope', so you might see flashes of white lines on the sides.
Aiming while scoping, you still turn at the same speed. I might make it less sensitive later, but for now this is what you get.
When you pull back the bolt of the AWP, it is also not that great, due to the same reasons as the MP5.
Also, the 'mag' of the MP5 is connected to 2 other (small) parts of the weapon, and is a flaw of the weapon model, not me.

Blah blah enjoy.
[/SIZE]

DensetsuNoKaboom 08-23-2010 01:55 PM

Nice work.

debussybunny563 08-23-2010 02:01 PM

[SIZE="2"][QUOTE=DensetsuNoKaboom;24454]Nice work.[/QUOTE]

Thnx.

I'm thinking revolver for final weapon.[/SIZE]

DensetsuNoKaboom 08-23-2010 02:04 PM

Yeah. I like revolvers. One of the few types of gun that I actually know what it is.

arty-fishL 08-24-2010 03:57 PM

Your going to run out of numbers to press for weapons soon! Nice range of good quality weapons.

DensetsuNoKaboom 08-24-2010 04:22 PM

"To switch to the Giant Megalaser weapon, press the Home key."

Lol that would be funny.

debussybunny563 08-24-2010 04:24 PM

[QUOTE=DensetsuNoKaboom;24510]"To switch to the Giant Megalaser weapon, press the Home key."

Lol that would be funny.[/QUOTE]
[SIZE="2"]
To switch to silenced pistol, hold Control+Alt+Delete.[/SIZE]

DensetsuNoKaboom 08-24-2010 04:26 PM

To change to the Magical Pony's Grenade Launcher, press F12.

Or better yet, press Alt+F4.

debussybunny563 08-24-2010 04:48 PM

[SIZE="2"]LOL

Anyway, I've added (though I might polish it) sound!

Just the gunshots for now.

It takes an enormous amount of time for the forum to load my worlds (not their fault, it just takes time), and Internet runs VERY slow while I'm attaching the files (can't go to any other sites without waiting a minute or two for the page to load), so you won't see it now.

It works very smoothly and is a recursive event.
Designed it myself.

EDIT: I've noticed something about sounds.
If you put a sound method in a while event, once the 'while' in the event becomes false, the sound will continue playing until it's over.
And, while the sound is playing, the rest of the world stops playing, like a serious lag spike.

Also, for some reason, I can't modify the duration of the sound without it also pausing the rest of the world like I stated above. However, it seems like my friend (who has Alice on his Mac) can change durations of sounds without any problems.[/SIZE]

jediaction 08-25-2010 07:39 AM

[QUOTE=DensetsuNoKaboom;24512]To change to the Magical Pony's Grenade Launcher, press F12.

Or better yet, press Alt+F4.[/QUOTE]

Do destroy computer. Press power button many times in a row until the screen turns black...:D

DensetsuNoKaboom 08-25-2010 03:31 PM

You should totally make a weapon called the Magical Pony's Grenade Launcher.

debussybunny563 08-25-2010 05:10 PM

[SIZE="2"][QUOTE=DensetsuNoKaboom;24572]You should totally make a weapon called the Magical Pony's Grenade Launcher.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I tried making a grenade launcher before.

It'd be hard to get the effects just right (smoke, explosion, arc wouldn't be too bad, but still).

Might be able to make a penguin launcher though. ( ;) at x2495iiii)

BTW, just finished the gunshot sounds.
Very proud of my sound method, and it has practically no faults, as in the sound will never be out of sync.

I'll start working on the reload sounds soon. I'll also try muzzle flash.
However, something happens tomorrow and will continue to happen until June...[/SIZE]

debussybunny563 08-25-2010 06:17 PM

[SIZE="2"]Also, I think I'll add a shotgun.

The M1014, or Benelli M4.

The revolver will have to wait. Besides, it's reload is more complex.[/SIZE]

jediaction 08-27-2010 09:28 AM

OOh. doo AA12. Automatic Shotgun. That will be cool