Alice Community

Alice Community (http://www.alice.org/community/index.php)
-   How Do I? (http://www.alice.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Creating functions and procedures (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=2721)

DrJim 06-16-2009 09:18 AM

[QUOTE=lanceA;10637] ...create a new scene in Alice 3.0[/I][/U] " ? What does this mean? [/QUOTE]

I had assumed (which is always dangerous) that the question refered to what you are trying to do, namely create a new "this (aka scene)" with different lights, ground, object instances, etc.

cawashburn 06-16-2009 09:35 AM

Yes, that is exactly what I was talking about - in Storytelling Alice, you can click on "Create New Scene", which brings up a new Method window and you can add a different background, characters, tripods etc. After you finish adding in the action for the new scene, you can add the "method" or scene that you just created to the bottom of the World.scene1.method and it will run after scene 1 is over.

I can't find anywhere in Alice 3.0 that allows me to create a new scene - but maybe it's called something else. It [I]did [/I]take me quite awhile to figure out that I needed to create a new procedure to make a new method. Ugh... I just got used to Alice 2.2 syntax - if Alice 3.0 didn't have so many neat features, it wouldn't bother me, but I really want the kids to be able to use 3.0. The Sims characters and actions are a huge draw for them and has generated a lot of excitement.

Dennis Cosgrove 06-16-2009 06:46 PM

Alice3 Multiple Scenes Coming Soon(ish)

Supporting multiple scenes is in the plans for Alice3's future. I do not have an estimate for you on when it will make it in but it is definitely a desirable feature.

[QUOTE=cawashburn;10640]Yes, that is exactly what I was talking about - in Storytelling Alice, you can click on "Create New Scene", which brings up a new Method window and you can add a different background, characters, tripods etc. After you finish adding in the action for the new scene, you can add the "method" or scene that you just created to the bottom of the World.scene1.method and it will run after scene 1 is over.

I can't find anywhere in Alice 3.0 that allows me to create a new scene - but maybe it's called something else. It [I]did [/I]take me quite awhile to figure out that I needed to create a new procedure to make a new method. Ugh... I just got used to Alice 2.2 syntax - if Alice 3.0 didn't have so many neat features, it wouldn't bother me, but I really want the kids to be able to use 3.0. The Sims characters and actions are a huge draw for them and has generated a lot of excitement.[/QUOTE]

zwhitlock 02-11-2010 11:34 PM

Choosing a "number" versus "integer"

I really would like to create some functions and parameters, but they require numbers that may include decimals as well. And from what I've noticed, there is only the integer option available, which does not allow things such as 3.14 to be entered.

Does anyone know what I should do?

x2495iiii 02-12-2010 01:36 AM

You can select whatever value for a number variable you want by clicking the "Other..." option at the bottom of the popup menu that appears when you click it.