Alice Community

Alice Community (http://www.alice.org/community/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.alice.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The forum is dieing (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=9388)

beachbum111111 07-22-2012 10:36 PM

The forum is dieing

This forum is dieing (However you spell it). There is not enough power for alice to make a good came and it has too many limitations. I myself wanted to make a game like SCP containment breach but there are so many limitations so I don't even know what to do first. I hope the alice 3 will be out soon and that the devs are still working on it. And I hope it addresses all the problems we had with alice 2.2. I probably won't be on the forums that much any more until a new update or alice 3 comes out.

x2495iiii 07-22-2012 11:42 PM

Dying.

And the forum's primary purpose is to provide a place for students using the software to get help.

Furthermore, most of the worst limitations have been removed or improved by arty's mods.

And even with the limitations, using some time and creativity, some good games can be made.

beachbum111111 07-23-2012 12:22 AM

However the games have to be short or they lag. Even with bad models. I wish there was better collision detection or some sort of a mod for that but I haven't heard from arty for ages. Come to think of it hardly anyone has been on here for a while. The forum looks completely abandoned except for a couple of people asking for help for assignments.

arty-fishL 07-23-2012 04:43 AM

That's the issue game makers are finding with current games consoles, the consoles are outdated and unable to handle the advanced games they want to make. The best devs understand the consoles well and squeeze every last drop out to make great games without sacrificing too much quality.

Good lighting and great textures that are not too large in size tend to make lower poly objects look much nicer. Easing down on the events and infinite loops improves performance, try adding small pauses in long loops (even 0.01 seconds still helps, gauge the pause duration to the priority of that loop). Using fog and smaller draw distances can reduce lag when too much is on screen.

Also, feel very free to use my World Loader Tool, there haven't been many implementations of it, but it really can help where there is too much in a world and you need to split it up. Most games nowadays don't load everything at once, they have individually loaded levels. Even sandbox games don't tend to load the entire world at once, they load in only the necessary parts and discard the rest.

fourbros 07-23-2012 11:06 AM

It would be more fun to make games if there wasn't the 20 mb limit. It should be 30 or 40 mb. You could make better games with more mbs to work with. I'm just saying.

sfunk 07-23-2012 10:31 PM

[QUOTE=arty-fishL;50544]
Most games nowadays don't load everything at once, they have individually loaded levels. Even sandbox games don't tend to load the entire world at once, they load in only the necessary parts and discard the rest.[/QUOTE]

I believe they refer to this as chunk loading(I could be wrong though), sort of like a proximity/render distance gauge to determine whether or not to load that certain area of a game

GameKid 07-23-2012 10:37 PM

Alice sucks, the forum is dieing, and I don't know how to spell dying!
Blah blah blah. Why do you want to complain here, of all places? If the great magnificent beachbum wants to make complicated games he should start using unity or what-have-you. Alice is free, so don't complain when you never lost anything.
Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest. I get your problem, but you really should stop complaining and deal with it.

x2495iiii 07-24-2012 02:21 AM

More diplomatically, Alice has its place, and that place is as a tool for learning, not for complex, commercial game design.

If you feel you've learned all you can from Alice, start using other tools. Several other people on the forums have done exactly that, with at least one a successful app developer.

Personally, I've already done exactly that, but remain here to help others learn more about Alice and to occasionally use Alice to test game mechanics.

beachbum111111 07-24-2012 04:22 PM

[QUOTE=GameKid;50557]Alice sucks, the forum is dieing, and I don't know how to spell dying!
Blah blah blah. Why do you want to complain here, of all places? If the great magnificent beachbum wants to make complicated games he should start using unity or what-have-you. Alice is free, so don't complain when you never lost anything.
Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest. I get your problem, but you really should stop complaining and deal with it.[/QUOTE]

We spell dieing differently in my country. I understand that it's free but it's taking forever for Alice 3.0 to come out and I am wonder if the devs gave up completely. But in the original post I was more or less referring to the forums. There is barely any activity going on in the forums anymore either.

GameKid 07-24-2012 04:53 PM

[QUOTE=beachbum111111;50560]We spell dieing differently in my country. I understand that it's free but it's taking forever for Alice 3.0 to come out and I am wonder if the devs gave up completely. But in the original post I was more or less referring to the forums. There is barely any activity going on in the forums anymore either.[/QUOTE]

Under my bed you spell things differently? Sweet. The floor under my bed has it's own culture.
Why is alice 3 taking so long? Do you know how many lines of code it takes to convert java(or whatever code alice uses) into a drag-and drop interface, complete with 3D model handling and PC clock functions?
For a free program?
That's sure to take a long time. And it's sure to have bugs and a short leash, just like alice 2.
And the forum? Yes, it's inactive. It's sluggish. That's because it's not supposed to be a huge community, or a chat room, or what-have-you. It's a place for alice users to talk and get help with alice.
I sure wish it was the former, as I love this community, but it's not, and what was always dead can't die.