Alice Community

Alice Community (http://www.alice.org/community/index.php)
-   Works-In-Progress (http://www.alice.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   New FPS (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=4788)

debussybunny563 07-23-2010 05:46 PM

New (Well, now it's been here a while) FPS

4 Attachment(s)
[SIZE="4"][U]I am no longer working on this game. Instead, I am currently occupied with a Halo game that is in development. The plan is to not release the Halo game until I am finished with it, so expect nothing from me for a while. =)[/U][/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]FOR THE MOST RECENT VERSION OF THE GAME, GO TO MY LAST POST[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Also, what you see in in the early parts of this thread may not apply later, so always check the last few posts for updates of what's going on.

EDIT: I'm deleting many of the previous game versions to save on space.[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]I'm currently working on an FPS that uses a different (unorthodox) control scheme. I'll probably post it (a work-in-progress version) within the next week. Check back for updates.

Anyway, here's some features:
Instead of using mouse control, this FPS uses a 'double keyboard' scheme. Basically: ESDF to strafe and IJKL to 'look.' Might be a little unusual at first, but you get the hang of it quickly (at least, you should).
SPACE to shoot, A to aim, W and R to switch between primary and secondary weapon, and T for manual reload (you also reload if your ammo turns to 0).

No real story or mission yet, but I'm working on it.

So far, 4 weapons.
M4, AK47, UMP 45, and Desert Eagle.
I might add an MP5, Benelli M4 shotgun, and possibly a minigun, if I don't tire of this project (or have the time:))
The different weapons do different damage, and damage also varies with distance from the target.

You have allies, but they don't do anything right now (just have them in cool poses).

Right now, I only have one enemy, but it's a work in progress.The enemy can detect you if you're in front of you and within a certain distance, and also turns around if you shoot him from behind. He's armed with an AK47 (but shoots slowly), and can also inflict damage on you. The edges of the screen turn red whenever you're shot, but I don't have anything happen when you die though:p(for now). However, when you kill your enemy, he falls over dead.

Unlimited ammo, but you have a set number of ammunition in each magazine or clip, so you periodically have to reload.

You can only carry two weapons at a time (default is M4 and Desert Eagle), but if close enough to a pile of crates (they're in the barn), if you press 'g' you can switch out your primary and secondary weapons.

Sorry for not attaching the world, I might want to spruce up a few things before I start posting updates.:p

Meanwhile, here's some photos (kind of hard for me to get good moments, but hope you like)(another note:'circles' rear reticle are actually cones, representing bullets; cylinders coming from the side of the gun are ejected cartridges):
Pictures (from top to bottom):
1. Reload sequence for the AK
2. Ownage with the UMP (my fav gun). Note that I would not have normally been hit, it was hard to take the right screenshot
3. Firing the Desert Eagle
4. A kill with the AK[/SIZE]

debussybunny563 07-23-2010 05:52 PM

More pics

4 Attachment(s)
[SIZE="2"]Alice won't let me do more than 5 pics, so here are some more.

Also, special thanks to the people who designed the weapons, I'm sorry I didn't remember which people made them. If you made one of them, perhaps you could claim so on this thread.

About mouse-control, some reasons for disliking it in Alice is that in some configurations, you can't turn around 360 degrees (i.e. the screen only moves when the mouse moves), and for the others it is difficult to aim (i.e. the screen moves whenever the mouse is away from the center).

Some less-epic pics (top to bottom):
1. Red dot equipped on the UMP
2. M4
3. Desert Eagle
4. Allies. Note the random MP5. Later I might make it useable. The allies were supposed to all be focused on the enemy, but I moved him, so they're just there.[/SIZE]

jediaction 07-24-2010 09:45 AM

Hmm, can you post this. Im interested in testing it and since ive made so many FPS games, mabye i could give a some tips. If you dont want anyone else to see it you can private post and i wont post for anyone else if you dont want me to.

debussybunny563 07-24-2010 09:53 AM

[SIZE="2"]Thanks for the offer.

I'll definitely post it, but it's just that I merely have most of the technical issues down, no real gameplay. There's just one enemy and that's it (for now). BTW, I changed the environment, so that barn you're seeing won't be there.

My idea was for it to be a kind of 'defend your outpost' kind of game where waves of enemies (they'll respawn, obviously) try to take over your position. I'll have to work on collision detection though. I guess I could post it.

I am happy to have one of the more active (and better) members of the Alice Forums review my FPS. As I said before, though, there isn't any mouse control, just a 'double-keyboard' type thing. The main reason it doesn't utilize the mouse is simply because when I started making FPS's, I just didn't realize you could do it (I've seen some of yours, would like to compliment you on them:D). That thing about how hard it is to control was probably just more of an excuse, but it is true to an extent.
So, I'll probably get it up within the next few days (if not today).

Check back soon![/SIZE]

jediaction 07-24-2010 10:34 AM

Well, it looks like good animation. I want to see good animation

debussybunny563 07-24-2010 10:41 AM

Here it is!

1 Attachment(s)
[SIZE="2"]Got the world for ya. Feel free to mess around with it, but I warn you, there are a lot of events, properties, and methods (though not as much as some I've seen).

Also, if you try to reposition the guerilla, you might run into problems when you play it (I didn't figure out why at first, either:p). The reason is I made a pivot for the guerilla, so when he turns to shoot at you, the pivot's moving. If you move him away from the pivot, it'll mess up the AI (he doesn't move yet, though:(). Same thing with the character. To move him (and the camera), use the bush. I probably should have used dummies, but, like mouse control, I didn't know about them.

Many of the gun/vehicle models I think were converted by X (don't have anything against him, but 'super' moderator? He definitely is a great contributor and deserves to be one, but the name just sounds a bit cheesy), so a shout out to him.

When you are in front of the crates, you can press 'g' to switch weapons (it'll let you know when you are within distance). Pop-up menus will appear, just follow them (the UMP requires a code though. If you want it, private message me. I'll probably get rid of that later, but I just wanted to do that since it's my favorite gun).

For any questions, suggestions just ask me on my page.

In terms of good animation, I added simulated recoil (i.e. the character turns backward, the screen turns backward, the guns eject cartridges), there is simulated 'breathing' (when you're idle, the character's upper body moves up and down), you sprint after running a certain time (unfortunately, no walk animation right now besides the breathing, will get it up later-you might have to remind me though:p), aiming is nice, a simple (but effective) switch-weapon animation, reticle expands after prolonged shooting. Hope you like it. Any and all (most) suggestions are welcome.

Edit: I'll just be posting updates of my FPS on this post (hence xfinal[B][I][U]2[/U][/I][/B]). So, if you want the file, hopefully I'll be able to put most of them here.[/SIZE]

debussybunny563 07-24-2010 10:52 AM

Weapon Switching

[SIZE="2"]I do have a question for anybody out there. How should I implement a weapon switching system, or rather, what kind? Currently I have it so that you only have 2 slots, and must go to a certain place (some stacked crates) if you want to switch those 2 out. I was wondering whether I should make it so that you carry all the weapons and can switch between all of them at any time. I'm not sure about picking up weapons though, too much work for me:p. If it comes down to it, I could spend a few hours on that, but it's not as fitting for the game situation.
Any other suggestions for a system would also be appreciated.
(poll is at top)[/SIZE]

arty-fishL 07-24-2010 08:43 PM

its very good

Its nice to see somebody new to the Alice community with immediate natural talent. Its very good, I like the double keyboard system, but sometimes I lose the keys and end up to the left or right of the correct key wondering why the guy isnt moving right, but practice should fix that. Very good animations, even subtle ones like the breathing, but it would be nice if the recoil came down again, as I slowly find the guy aiming higher and higher as he shoots. :D

arty-fishL 07-24-2010 08:46 PM

confused

[QUOTE=jediaction;23428]If you dont want anyone else to see it you can private post and i wont post for anyone else if you dont want me to.[/QUOTE]
What do you mean by private post? You cant mean private message because they cant have attachments, so :confused:

debussybunny563 07-25-2010 08:12 AM

[SIZE="2"]Thanks for the compliment, Arty. I'm trying to get rid of that 'junior' tag, but don't exactly want to spam the forums doing so.

Edit: Hey, what a coincidence. This was my 15th post. Yay, I'm a member!
2nd double edit: Now I just have to see how long it takes to become a senior.:D

Double edit: I've created 4 or 5 fps's total, but most of the previous ones (excuse me) sucked. I'll give you a rundown:
1. Move with WASD (A and D to turn) and click on the target with the mouse to shoot. Yep, there's no real aiming. And you can't look up:p. Weapons: akimbo revolver. That's it.
2. Same thing, but better environment. Also, I got an M4 and the pistol. Also, you could pick up a Barret that was mounted on a wall. No scoping though.
3. Ah, now we come to the double keyboard system. Kind of nice, but largely incomplete. Set in snow.
4. Same as above, set in snow, but a lot better and more complete. I could post it if anyone wants to see. You have an M4 and a pistol, and it's pretty nice.
The problem with this (and it applies to all others above it) is that the M4 was made with a bunch of boppers (they're in the amusement park section), and a few other objects vehicled together. When I discovered you could import objects (thanks, X), I started this one. It's definitely my best yet(end double edit).

In terms of the aim getting higher and higher, I meant for that to happen because it's more realistic. In many other FPS games, you have to drag the mouse down while you're shooting to keep it on target. So similarly, you probably want to keep your (excuse me) middle finger on the 'k' key whenever you're shooting (the aim does come down a little bit though, but still not as much as it goes up). Good luck controlling the recoil on the Deagle:D!

About losing your position on the keyboard, it's happened to me before, but it's getting increasingly rare. It's like your normal typing position (i.e. your index fingers are on 'f' and 'j'), so just remember that you should feel those little stubs on your index fingers.

I'll keep posting updates. Do you think I should post a new update with a new post each time, or just change the attachment? That way, I don't need to make too many posts, but the other way people can't see previous versions.
Edit: I'm probably not going to add a walk animation now. For me, as long as it doesn't disturb gameplay, it's fine.

[B]I'd really appreciate suggestions.[/B] Thanks in advance. I probably can't take all of them, though. I do already have certain things in mind, as well.

4th edit: Srry 'bout the long posts, I'm used to typing long e-mails.:p[/SIZE]

arty-fishL 07-25-2010 10:49 AM

[QUOTE=debussybunny563;23451][SIZE=2]I'll keep posting updates. Do you think I should post a new update with a new post each time, or just change the attachment? That way, I don't need to make too many posts, but the other way people can't see previous versions.
[/SIZE][/QUOTE] you should post all updates on your first post at the top, by editing it and maybe add a new post at the bottom saying it is updated. Maybe keep a couple previous attachments, but not too many.

debussybunny563 07-25-2010 10:51 AM

4 Attachment(s)
[SIZE="2"][QUOTE=arty-fishL;23454]you should post all updates on your first post at the top, by editing it and maybe add a new post at the bottom saying it is updated. Maybe keep a couple previous attachments, but not too many.[/QUOTE]
OK, will do.

If I can get some sort of (free) hypercam (and a youtube account), I might post vids.

Edit: New Pics!
1. Shooting far away with the red dot sight.
2. Getting up close with the Desert Eagle.
3. Hiding behind some crates with the M4.
4. Hiding behind a humvee with the AK.[/SIZE]

debussybunny563 07-25-2010 11:30 AM

Update 7-25

[SIZE="2"]You can now die. The world around you slowly turns red, and you can't shoot or reload or any of those things. You can still move around though.

Look at my original post for the update. (It's xfinal-posting2)[/SIZE]

jediaction 07-25-2010 11:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=debussybunny563;23434][SIZE=2]I do have a question for anybody out there. How should I implement a weapon switching system, or rather, what kind? Currently I have it so that you only have 2 slots, and must go to a certain place (some stacked crates) if you want to switch those 2 out. I was wondering whether I should make it so that you carry all the weapons and can switch between all of them at any time. I'm not sure about picking up weapons though, too much work for me:p. If it comes down to it, I could spend a few hours on that, but it's not as fitting for the game situation. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Any other suggestions for a system would also be appreciated.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2](poll is at top)[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Weapon switching? I made a good example of that.

debussybunny563 07-25-2010 11:52 AM

Like it

[SIZE="2"]Have an idea! I guess I'll use the number keys to switch weapons. I'll modify my current system. Thanks for the idea, jedi.:D(was clueless what kind of system to use:p, each one had its own benefits)

Edit: New system is available in the first post. 1, 2, 3, and 4 to switch weapons.
World is xfinal-posting3.
However, I might have to wait till poll results finish. Right now, it looks like the 2nd option is winning, but there have only been 3 voters.

Something else that is lacking is sound. Will probably be one of the last things I do.

Edit: I deleted the original xfinal-posting3 and posted a new one (same name: xfinal-posting3). There is now a really cool opening cutscene. Enjoy![/SIZE]

jediaction 07-25-2010 05:19 PM

Your welcome and yup, i voted

debussybunny563 07-25-2010 05:32 PM

You voted for which option?:confused:

arty-fishL 07-25-2010 06:40 PM

I voted for 2 weapons as it makes the game harder, 2 weapons should be fine if there are sufficient enough weapon crates around the place. Nice pics.

debussybunny563 07-25-2010 07:09 PM

I really like the number system for switching weapons. Quick and efficient. However, the 2-slot system is more realistic. Since now that option is winning by a larger margin, I'll re-update it to go with that.

So, now's the question: How should I get the extra weapons? Should I ask the user for input like I did in xfinal-posting2?
srry, too many questions.:p
Suggestions are welcome.

I'll keep updating.

GoGators 07-26-2010 04:16 AM

Senior Member!

you will become a senior at 50 posts so you are about half way right now!

debussybunny563 07-26-2010 10:09 AM

Update 7-26

[SIZE="2"]I added a new weapon: the FN P90!:D
Pros: Low recoil, possibly lower than the M4. High mag capacity, can fit 50 rounds. High range, reaches out to 175 meters. High fire rate
Cons: Relatively slow reload. Low damage, 4-5 hit kill.[/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"]ULTRA CON: LAGS THE ENTIRE GAME!!!:mad:[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]I'll have to see what I can do about the lag. Any suggestions would be welcome. BTW the polygonal count is 28,000. Too much or no?

This might be the last weapon I add to the game. So now, 5 weapons total.

Edit: The lag actually isn't that bad. I think it might run a just a [I]little[/I] bit worse though.[/SIZE]

jediaction 07-26-2010 11:32 AM

[QUOTE=debussybunny563;23490][SIZE=2]I added a new weapon: the FN P90!:D[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Pros: Low recoil, possibly lower than the M4. High mag capacity, can fit 50 rounds. High range, reaches out to 175 meters. High fire rate[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Cons: Relatively slow reload. Low damage, 4-5 hit kill.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]ULTRA CON: LAGS THE ENTIRE GAME!!!:mad:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]I'll have to see what I can do about the lag. Any suggestions would be welcome. BTW the polygonal count is 28,000. Too much or no?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]This might be the last weapon I add to the game. So now, 5 weapons total.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Edit: The lag actually isn't that bad. I think it might run a just a [I]little[/I] bit worse though.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Get rid of as many loops as possible

debussybunny563 07-26-2010 11:37 AM

Lag!!!

[QUOTE=jediaction;23494]Get rid of as many loops as possible[/QUOTE]
[SIZE="2"]
I actually have quite few loops, I have more 'while' events. At this point, I'm blaming it on too many polygons, since whenever I face away from where there are a lot of objects, everything runs really smoothly.

BTW, I'll start posting the updates on a new post, so don't look back to the first post (or close to first) for the new updates.

@jedi: Hmm, you've almost got 2,000 posts! Just a little longer!

Edit: Over 2,000! Congrats![/SIZE]

debussybunny563 07-26-2010 12:20 PM

New file

[SIZE="2"]Here's the world with the P90:
It still utilizes the number system, and I'm working on changing it to the 2-slot system (sorry jedi, that option seems to be more popular):p[/SIZE]

jediaction 07-26-2010 08:00 PM

[QUOTE=debussybunny563;23495]
[SIZE=2]I actually have quite few loops, I have more 'while' events. At this point, I'm blaming it on too many polygons, since whenever I face away from where there are a lot of objects, everything runs really smoothly.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]BTW, I'll start posting the updates on a new post, so don't look back to the first post (or close to first) for the new updates.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]@jedi: Hmm, you've almost got 2,000 posts! Just a little longer![/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Post 1995

Anyway, while loops will make your game go slower to you know

[QUOTE=debussybunny563;23499][SIZE=2]Here's the world with the P90:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]It still utilizes the number system, and I'm working on changing it to the 2-slot system (sorry jedi, that option seems to be more popular):p[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

I was hoping for that? Whats wrong?

debussybunny563 07-28-2010 10:08 AM

[QUOTE=jediaction;23504]Post 1995

[SIZE="2"]Anyway, while loops will make your game go slower to you know[/QUOTE]
:p

Edit: Well, I have to use one of them, so thank you very much for that meaningful comment.
Just kiddin', but I really do think it's too many polygons. It doesn't lag very much for me anymore, but I understand you should keep the limit to 40,000, and I'm getting close...[/SIZE]

jediaction 07-28-2010 02:33 PM

ok, my games have way over that. Check out my Halo game, going off subject

DensetsuNoKaboom 07-28-2010 03:45 PM

Needs more enemies.

debussybunny563 07-28-2010 04:25 PM

[QUOTE=DensetsuNoKaboom;23562]Needs more enemies.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="2"]Well, of course. I'm still working on other things. Once you get one enemy's methods and events down, you can easily (still time-consuming though) duplicate that. For the moment, the current enemy can't walk or move, so it'll be some time before more enemies come into play (don't worry, they'll definitely come).
[/SIZE]

jediaction 07-29-2010 12:30 PM

I understand, you just started

debussybunny563 07-29-2010 12:41 PM

[QUOTE=jediaction;23583]I understand, you just started[/QUOTE]
[SIZE="2"]Eh, kind of. It's just that I have to add many things, so it might be some time before I get to certain aspects of the game. For the moment, I'm working on the walk/run animation for the enemy, and it's very difficult for me to get it to work in terms of making him stop running when he dies.:mad: His posture becomes messed up. Oh, well. It's coming along though. Once I get this bug fixed I'll probably post another update.:D[/SIZE]

debussybunny563 07-30-2010 08:50 PM

Update 7/30/2010

[SIZE="2"]I got a really big part of the game up and running... The enemy can run around! It took me a VERY long time to get it bug-free, as there is an animation for the death, and sometimes the enemy is attacking and dying at the same time. But, now it's fixed (tell me if you find any more bugs or glitches).

There are also a bunch of things associated with the running that required complex coding. Basically, the enemy will begin to notice you if you are within 40 meters and in front of him. He'll keep running towards you as long as you are within 60 meters, after which he'll stop, and will also keep running 'till he's within 20 meters, close enough to deal out deadly damage.

There is also a random amount of times he'll shoot at you after he's in range. Basically, I have a loop set up with 5 times. Each time there is a 50% chance he will shoot at you. However, there is no break between shots as it's an if/else clause, so if he doesn't shoot, the else is he does nothing. Expect him to shoot at you anywhere from one to five times (he rarely, if ever shoots zero times) after each chase.

Also improved the recoil (except the AK47), so that it settles down more, but now it can shift to the left and right as well (except the AK47). There is also chance involved there, so 50% of the time your view moves to the left, and 50% to the right. The recoil happens faster than the previous versions, so it's more realistic.

The enemy now can also respawn, so there is unlimited shooting action. Unfortunately, I have not added more enemies yet, as I still want to make sure everything's good before I duplicate.

Things I plan to work on:
As I said, more enemies.
An objective for the enemies, so you're not the main target; they have a mission to complete.
Make the allies do something, as right now they're still static.
Sound. It really helps add depth to a game, and is vital for making a good one.
An HUD. I'll use a system for a radar/map that I found on the forums, and I'll probably add an ammo count as well.

Here it is:
Enjoy!
(Yeah, I know it's called xfinal-posting[U]2[/U], but it is the most updated for now)[/SIZE]

arty-fishL 08-02-2010 05:12 AM

dualshock 3

I downloaded some software that installs drivers for my ps3 controller and then I installed xpadder, which allows you to assign buttons, triggers, d-pads and sticks to functions and keyboard buttons/ mouse actions on the computer. Then I made an setup for the controller to work like it does in mw2 on both this game and storm. It feels really good using a controller for these games, but I had to reduce the sensitivity in your game as it was too high for the controller. But it made the game a lot more comfortable for me.

jediaction 08-02-2010 10:14 AM

Hold on. You played storm with a ps3 controller. I want to play hero's with my x-box 360 controller. How do you do that Arty?

arty-fishL 08-02-2010 11:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Im pretty sure xbox 360 controllers are plug-and-play on windows computers (you need extra drivers for ps3 controllers), to use it you need to have it plugged into your computer by USB. If you want it wireless then look [URL="http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933710/"]here[/URL], but usb works fine. If it isnt plug-and-play then please reply and I will look into it if you want.
To make any controller do keyboard and mouse commands just install xpadder, the newest version costs money, but if you google it you can get free versions. Then it is easy to setup.
If you use Vista or 7 then make it run in administrator mode.
Make a profile that has the buttons and mouse controls for Hero as the buttons etc for the controller.

Here is an example profile that could work for Storm:

arty-fishL 08-02-2010 11:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the profile I have running for my ps3 controller on this FPS. The up button on the D-pad was just a rapid fire feature I was testing.

If you could make a sensitivity function for this game it would be very useful please :D

jediaction 08-02-2010 11:51 AM

[QUOTE=arty-fishL;23687]This is the profile I have running for my ps3 controller on this FPS. The up button on the D-pad was just a rapid fire feature I was testing.

If you could make a sensitivity function for this game it would be very useful please :D[/QUOTE]

Hmm, i'll talk to King Gamer about it. But i dont have Ps3 yet, i need X-box controlls. How do you get the program. Haha, oops, i missed the post before, never mind, i found the X-box controller.

arty-fishL 08-02-2010 12:09 PM

lol :p

jediaction 08-03-2010 02:14 PM

So, how do you get the program?

arty-fishL 08-04-2010 05:19 AM

google it

Here's a link to a page with a download for it anyway:
[URL="http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Xpadder.shtml"]xpadder 5.3[/URL]
I cant find the link I know is reliable for the free xpadder 5.7 , but 5.3 works just as well.