Alice Community

Alice Community (http://www.alice.org/community/index.php)
-   How do I...? (http://www.alice.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Using Variable to Toggle Colors (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=7498)

alicenoob210 11-03-2011 09:40 PM

Using Variable to Toggle Colors

1 Attachment(s)
I'm working on a project that allows the user to change between five different color schemes. I figured variables and increments would allow me to do this, but no matter what I do, it only allows me to change colors once and that's it. I'll post the project file if you don't know what I'm talking about; I barely know what I'm doing :p (it's under the World.clickObject method).

waqar 11-03-2011 10:00 PM

it is doing that bcz it is not going to the other if statments bcz every time a that method executes count reset to 0 and after increment by 1 it always come on 1 u have to make a hard coding for it and do that colour change statment in decending order it will definitely work i had that exp while i was making my shooting game and put 6 bullets and want to go opac 1 of them whenever i clicked on something frm thr i came to know abt it

alicenoob210 11-04-2011 01:30 AM

Okay, so from what I gather, using variables wouldn't be a good idea. Playing with a dumbed down version of what I was working on, I found that if I use a list and have the program choose a random number from the list, I can toggle between multiple colors. The only problem is now, it would be kind of difficult for a user to anticipate what color will come up when they click x many times. It partly resolves the problem, though it again shifts the issue of being able to toggle between the preset choices in a predictable way.

sfunk 11-04-2011 06:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here, take a look at what I did with this world, it's very simple, I created a number variable, which I had increased every time the cylinder was clicked. then I had multiple if/else statments declaring if number_variable==(whatever number) the cube would change it's color. so after creating those methods you have to use the right type of events to place the methods into. I like using when the world starts and right clicking it to change it to "while the world is running" so the world constantly checks your if/else statements to decide what color the cube should be, and the last touch I made to it was once the number variable got to a certain number it would reset back to zero to be able to cycle through the colors again.

alicenoob210 11-04-2011 12:25 PM

Thanks! That worked perfectly.

walleyewilly 04-04-2012 09:26 PM

increment

Hi Sfunk:

I would like to use this increment for a project I am working on. I was just wondering where you got the increment method/function from without creating a variable for it. I did check out you tutorials, but did not see one on this particular subject. Thanks, Willy

sfunk 04-05-2012 04:50 AM

[QUOTE=walleyewilly;47836]Hi Sfunk:

I would like to use this increment for a project I am working on. I was just wondering where you got the increment method/function from without creating a variable for it. I did check out you tutorials, but did not see one on this particular subject. Thanks, Willy[/QUOTE]

You have to have a number variable to use increment or decrement methods

walleyewilly 04-05-2012 06:42 AM

variables

Thank you. I see that now from your tutorial. For some reason when I loaded the lights example into Alice on my PC, it did not show the variable or the name change to world.my first method. Thanks, very helpful. Willy