Alice Community

Alice Community (http://www.alice.org/community/index.php)
-   Share Worlds (http://www.alice.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Resident Penguin (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=3205)

x2495iiii 10-28-2009 04:34 PM

Freeze time power: You read my mind. I already added that to RP4.
Point multiplier: That's a good one. Not sure how to add it though. That's something you can't buy...
Weapon ups: I could probably add the damage thing, but the rate of fire might be a little tough. I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the ideas!

Dameria 10-28-2009 05:44 PM

Maybe, instead of the point multiplier, you could give us more points the higher level we are, and maybe have the level go up to 10 this time. Like level 2 we would get +200 more points per zombie we kill (1200 per zombie), then level 4 1400, level 6 1750, then finally at level 8 it reaches maximum of 2000 points per zombie, so it would be easier to get those higher-level guns and upgrades.

I was also thinking of a grenade type weapon, and a shockwave (area damage) type upgrade, but I don't know if this would be a good idea.

Chris101b 10-28-2009 05:49 PM

Or an energy draining grenade. When you throw it, there is a giant circle that opens up that causes all zombies that move inside of that area to constantly lose health. The sphere could last about 10-20 seconds.

Dameria 10-28-2009 05:52 PM

[QUOTE=Chris101b;12640]Or an energy draining grenade. When you throw it, there is a giant circle that opens up that causes all zombies that move inside of that area to constantly lose health. The sphere could last about 10-20 seconds.[/QUOTE]

The only problem with that is that it would only work on the big zombie. Normal zombies are 1 hit kills, so how would a hitpoint of 1 be drained over time? I have another idea though, what about a grenade like you said that has a 10-20% opacity of light blue color when it explodes, and it severly slows down the zombies within the dome for 5 seconds, and it would be tossed maybe 20 meters from the penguin.

Chris101b 10-28-2009 06:48 PM

Oh yeah, forgot about that 1 hit point thing :p Okay, I like your idea better

The only thing is thinking about its necessity... there is already bullet time, so is it worth taking up resources for?

Dameria 10-28-2009 06:58 PM

[QUOTE=Chris101b;12644]
The only thing is thinking about its necessity... there is already bullet time, so is it worth taking up resources for?[/QUOTE]

Oh yea your right, hmm... What about if the blue dome would make all the zombies in that area be attracted all toward the middle of that dome for 3 seconds, that way it would stop them in their track for a limited time and it would be a lot easier target because they are all clustered.

Ya, this and also the point increase every other level thing I talked about earlier, I would like to see that in the next version.

Chris101b 10-28-2009 06:59 PM

Yeah, that's even better!

x2495iiii 10-28-2009 10:55 PM

I like the black hole grenade idea, that's a good one, but I don't like the point multiplier. I made those things expensive for a reason, so that you CAN'T afford them unless you save up specifically for them. Besides, in the next version, there'll be a way to get double points for a short time (I decided it would be based on accuracy. If you get, say, 40 or 50 consecutive hits, you get a 10 second double-points bonus).

I think I'll have to make the Lance a little cheaper though, since I just realized that without killing the big one a few times, you literally cannot afford it until the game is almost over.

I came up with some other stuff, but I want at least PART of the game to be a suprise, so I'll keep it to myself for now.

bballmike156 10-29-2009 03:46 PM

Man I love this game!!! You have inspired me to start making a game like this!!! It is gonna take me a while but I see how rewarding it is. The only thing I think you should put in is that the penguin should be able to take a few hits, because there is a few times when I almsot get it but get hit and its over, but non the less I LOVE this game. Just my 2 cents! =)

Dameria 10-29-2009 03:56 PM

Ya sometimes I kill a zombie as its kicking me, and even though I killed it I still die. Is there any way you can make it so that only if the foot is within the area of the penguin, then the penguin dies? I think you have it now so that if the kicking method is initialized, no matter what the penguin will die, even if the zombie gets killed before it finishes the kick.

bballmike156 10-29-2009 04:05 PM

Yah i'v noticed that too. =( I can't get past level 4 right now haha. That is particaly because of this big Iron Man that pops out in level 1 and it never dies by then so it blows up on me haha. So yah extra lives, or him having a health bar would be good. =)

EDIT: Now I know what you mean, I was in level 4, I killed the zombie, then I got kicked. >.>

x2495iiii 10-29-2009 11:32 PM

Funny story about that:

I thought the glitch was funny at first, so I left it in. Later, I thought it'd be cool if the penguin could cap a zombie right as it's getting ready to kick him, so I tried to fix it, but realized that, as the code is written now, I'd have to add some really unhappy if/else ifs or nine extra methods to make it work. I just didn't want to gum up the works any more than I already had, so I left it in again. Now, here you are asking for it some more, so ok, I'll add the if/else ifs.

By the way, I've already added an ability which allows you to take a hit and keep playing.

And as far as the big one goes, I don't plan on adding a health bar, since part of its threat is that you have no idea how many more bullets it can take, or if you'll be able to stop it, before it reaches you.

Chris101b 10-30-2009 11:51 AM

You could put a dummy way up in the air for each zombie, and when they kick, the dummy flies to the zombies foot in zero seconds. Then tell the penguin that when the dummy is within x meters of dummy, he dies. That is how I made meleeing work in Infiltration. It works really well.

Or I just thought that you could have the dummy on his foot already and have it not showing. Then right as his foot gets to where you want it, it appears. Same basic idea, less work.

bballmike156 10-30-2009 02:00 PM

Yah when I said health bar, I meant for the penguin not for the zombies, but yah I like the game. =)

Dameria 10-30-2009 02:03 PM

[QUOTE=Chris101b;12703]You could put a dummy way up in the air for each zombie, and when they kick, the dummy flies to the zombies foot in zero seconds. Then tell the penguin that when the dummy is within x meters of dummy, he dies. [/QUOTE]

Or you could just make ONE dummy not showing on the penguin, and then incorporate that one dummy into the kick method for all zombies with the if/else statement...

rockstar442 10-30-2009 06:17 PM

umm hi im new (well to this site) but i wanted to know where do you get the gun i cant find it anywhere i looked in objects but it wasnt there

xxledzeppelin2x3 10-30-2009 10:00 PM

WOW! you are ridiculous! this is the most amazing thing i have ever seen! u must have suffered many headaches in the process of making this game! i thought it was bad making my skateboarding game. lmao what a joke. well back on the subject, you aree amazinggg :D !

xxledzeppelin2x3 10-30-2009 10:10 PM

also how do i get new guns to switch to when i click "S" it just stays on the barreta

x2495iiii 10-31-2009 01:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
rockstar442: I converted and imported the model from sources other than the objects gallery. If you want to use it, though, here's a link to a world with MANY weapons, including the ones I used in the game:

[URL="http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=3165"]Weapons, Vehicles, and more[/URL]

On that note, I spent a good part of today finding cool models in the Google Sketchup warehouse and converting them to Alice friendly format. I REALLY want to learn how to cut objects into subparts so that animation is possible, so that I can use models like the one in the Alice world below (wouldn't it be SO COOL if you could use him?)

xxledzeppelin2x3: Thanks, I'm glad you like the game. To get new guns, you have to buy them with points. Use the beretta at first, then press space to pause the game and then click the "Guns" tab on the right to bring up the weapons purchase menu. The cheapest gun is 30,000 points, though, so you'll have to save up.

Dameria and chris101b: Yeah, I suppose that would work. I'll give it a shot and see what happens. Thanks guys!

Other notes: RP3's theme was the addition of upgrades. RP4's theme will be...classes! I always liked being able to choose what kind of hero I wanted to be, like warrior or ninja or whatever. I'm going to make two powers for each class, one which comes with the class and one which must be bought, as well as a hat or accessory for each class that is added to the penguin when you choose the class. So, if you guys have any ideas for what classes (and corresponding abilities) could be included, shout em out!

-Already in the game: Ninja, Gunner, Blaster (uses the lasers), Marksman (WAY different than the gunner, trust me), Bomber, Slayer.

And finally, I was experimenting with a program to get an object to turn to follow the mouse cursor, but ultimately gave up with it because it was annoying me WAY too much. IF you guys have any ideas on how to do this without having it mess up when you move the mouse too quickly, tell me.

Dameria 10-31-2009 05:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That neatModel right there has awesome visuals! But, it is highly lacking in parts. There should definitely be more parts to it, like the Halo Master Chief model that I configured to be able to move in another thread (somewhere in the Works-In-Progress section). Also, it is way to big, 1.3 MB? Are you really willing to put that much in even if you can get it to move?

Haha, I saw what you did in your program trying to do the mouse thing and everything, and I made a VERY EXTREMELY EASY way to do it with only 1 code that does basically what you are trying to do (although not completely) but only with 1 relatively simple code!!! lol

Try it out and see if this is what you were trying to do.
(The random subtract and division I got from trial and error to try and get the best results.)

You can twink it by adding barriers and making him slower and stuff, but I just did this quick, I'll let you build onto it (if you want).

x2495iiii 10-31-2009 07:17 PM

Actually, that was what I had at first, essentially (except I also had a method that made the gun turn to face the mouse cursor when the world started). I used that cruddy "cone2 move left/right" stuff after I realised that the first one gets off center if you move the mouse around too quickly. That's the problem I was hoping you guys could solve. Thanks anyway, though.

As for the model, there are models in the gallery that are about the same size (like one of the dragons in the Medieval section), so though it IS big, it's not unreasonably so. It all depends on what your needs are. For example, there was a really creative kid from my old high school who wanted to make a super smash brothers movie, and he actaually was very good at making models from simple shapes, but it made anitmation very difficult. If I were to get that model's parts working, it would help him out wonderfully.

Dameria 10-31-2009 07:28 PM

Oh ok, its just that I saw some other variables that kind of made it turn slow, so I just erased everything and did that. Is there a way that you can make it so that when the rolling pin moves, it makes the mouse go to the middle again? If you could do that then it wouldn't go so fast or off target, and it would make everything so much easier, they should add that into Alice 3.0.
Or maybe when the mouse moves to a certain point, it makes the point at which the mouse would turn the camera the other way, there. I might work on this tomorrow, but probably not until Monday because I still have to do 2 essays due Monday and don't have any time tomorrow!!! :(

x2495iiii 10-31-2009 07:47 PM

I already made a very nice "Camera follow the mouse" type method based on the calibration method in that world, the best part of which is the fact that it turns with speed relative to the exact pixel amount which you move the mouse. I'm not sure about the object following method, though. I told you, I pretty much gave up on it, and I only give up on something like that if all of the ideas I've put into it haven't given me any progress whatsoever.

xxledzeppelin2x3 11-01-2009 04:54 PM

are you working on a 4.0? or have you not any bugs to fix or any ideas to improve the game?

x2495iiii 11-01-2009 05:50 PM

Working on it right now, actually. And I have lots of ideas, but I'm still trying to decide which to include and which to put on hold.

I have, however, added a bunch of cool stuff to the game already. So far:

-3 new weapons, 1 upgraded weapon (4 total)

-3 new powers, 2 weapon powers (5 total)

-The beginning of the class system

I've also been preparing models for use in my game and for Alice in general, like the one I posted earlier.

xxledzeppelin2x3 11-01-2009 05:53 PM

ohhh that's sweet, i've been busy working on my game skateboard 3.0 , which you saw a long time ago when i had a question on it but im looking to add new things. I can't wait to play the newest resident penguin! I was playing it earlier and it is amazing! It is the first alice written game i have played that is actually fun to play!

x2495iiii 11-01-2009 07:06 PM

Thanks! By the way, I have ideas for 5 classes now, meaning at least 10 new attacks/powers/weapons to use. So far no one has commented on that. Is it a good idea to include classes in the game, or would you guys rather have something else?

Dameria 11-01-2009 07:13 PM

Classes do sound like a fun idea, but how much lag/mb will it be worth? If it make the game lag more than it was at version 2, then I don't know. It does sound like a good idea though.

x2495iiii 11-01-2009 07:28 PM

I only use low polygon models, and I haven't added any infinity loops (the main cause of lag in RP2), so it should be okay (filesize is 8.03mb right now, by the way).

There were a few 20000+ models I thought would be cool in the world, but are unnecessary.

madden 11-02-2009 06:34 PM

[QUOTE=x2495iiii;12519]And it's done! This is the most I've ever worked on a project, so I really do hope you guys enjoy it. It's HUGE though, so you may want to close your internet connection while you play, to free up processor power.

Another trick I've found helpful is playing the world, then doing few things (like shooting, pressing pause, letting the zombies kick you, etc.) and then restarting the world. I've noticed it tends to run faster when it's done it once before (cache memory?).

Anyway, here are the controls:
-Hold 'A' to turn left and 'D' to turn right
-Press 'S' to switch weapons forward, and 'X' to switch backward
-Press Space or Enter to puase the game and bring up the pause menu. From inside the pause menu, you can switch weapons, switch camera angles, buy guns, and buy abilities for your penguin (I've been using a computer with Windows Vista and Word 2003...I think, so I don't know if the fonts I used for the pause menu and HUD will shop up for you guys. If they don't, the text may disappear or run off the screen, so heads up.)
-Press 'Q' to repel the zombies, if you've bought the power.
-Hold 'Q' to slow down the zombies, but not the penguin if you've bought the power
-Press 'E' to use a shockwave which kills all zombies (except the big one, it just hurts him) if you've bought it.
-If you see the big one, pump him full of everything you've got, because he's REALLY tough (also, the penguin will automatically aim for him if he can)
-The Shining Lance now has two disadvantages: It's expensive, and one other hidden thing...
-You'll probably need Night Vision by Level 5. It's nearly impossible to see anything if you don't have it (I challenge someone to try and beat it without Night Vision)
-This version's HARD, but beatable. Try different combinations of powers and weapons and see what works for you
-My top score is 207 KOs

If you find any bugs (besdides lagging, because I expect that), tell me.[/QUOTE]

Wow, this is amazing! Everything is perfect, this must have taken a long time to make. I... I really don't know what to say. lol, its perfect. I am definitely looking forward to more from you, I can't wait to see what you do next. :)

KaiChang 11-02-2009 06:59 PM

Had Fun, Great Game

Indeed this was a great game.
I liked how the game was fun, entertaining and was a challenge after level 3. (lol)

The only thing I found difficult and I tried to change was the revolutions it turns. It was turning too slow. I figured out later after twitching it that you could make it a little faster without making it TOO fast.

Great game overall, oh and way to stick with the Halloween spirit. (LATE FAIL POST)

Sincerely,
Kai

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [B][U]9[/U][/B] 10 [B][U]+[/U][/B] / -[/COLOR]

x2495iiii 11-02-2009 07:33 PM

Thanks, madden. That's a really big compliment from the guy whose games are practically legendary on these forums.

Thanks to you too, Kai. Interestingly it totally slipped my mind that I'd be done around Halloween. I'm not into Halloween stuff, but making this game has been fun, nonetheless. As far as the turning goes, it's SUPPOSED to be slow. Turn too fast, and the game's too easy. Also, you can buy faster turning in the upgrade shop. Also, if the penguin turns too fast, he becaomes FAR less accurate.

x2495iiii 11-05-2009 02:54 AM

Progress report for RP4:

-2 New enemies added! Some of you may recognize a few of the monster models...

-Class weapons (your Beretta is replaced with a unique weapon based on what class you choose)

-2 new classes, Slayer and Bomber (Slayer gets a sword and Bomber gets...well you can probably guess)

-VERY nice special effects (You know how there aren't any good explosions in Alice? There are now...)

-2 words: Boss Fight.

Planned content:
-2 more enemies, maybe 3
-Better weapon purchase menu (shows a picture of the weapon you're looking at)
-More powers
-Button configuration

Dameria 11-05-2009 01:28 PM

Can't wait sounds awesome :)

dubastot 11-05-2009 08:15 PM

Could I have permission to use your awesome aiming system in my hunting game?

x2495iiii 11-05-2009 10:03 PM

If you'd like to, sure, just be sure and give me credit. Thanks for the compliment, by the way.

madden 11-07-2009 12:33 AM

[QUOTE=x2495iiii;13038]Progress report for RP4:

-2 New enemies added! Some of you may recognize a few of the monster models...

-Class weapons (your Beretta is replaced with a unique weapon based on what class you choose)

-2 new classes, Slayer and Bomber (Slayer gets a sword and Bomber gets...well you can probably guess)

-VERY nice special effects (You know how there aren't any good explosions in Alice? There are now...)

-2 words: Boss Fight.

Planned content:
-2 more enemies, maybe 3
-Better weapon purchase menu (shows a picture of the weapon you're looking at)
-More powers
-Button configuration[/QUOTE]

A 4th one? YES! I can't wait, I am so addicted to The 3rd right now. lol
Lookin forward to it man. =)

Mashal 11-14-2009 01:13 AM

heyyy

You look really trained can u help me with my assigment here it is:

A scene will consist of three critters dancing. The each of the three scenes is to be very similar. The first scene will have a critter of one kind dancing with two critters of another kind. (A ‘kind’ of critter means an animal or person. Pick the classes you use according to your own taste). The second scene will have one of the two critters from the first scene dancing with two critters of yet another type. The third scene will have one of each of the three different kinds of critters dancing.
To display the scenes, you will write a “playScene” method. You will call this method three times with three different sets of arguments.
Within the method, the three critters in the scene will appear in appropriate positions. The three critters will do a short dance and disappear. For each of the three classes of critters, you will need to design your own dance methods. The dances can be simple or elaborate depending on your tastes but each class of critter should have its own style of dancing.

x2495iiii 11-14-2009 01:44 AM

In the future, please try to keep posts like these in the "How Do I...?" part of the forums.

As far as help goes, what exactly do you need help with? I need to know what you've tried to do yourself, what kind of effort you've already put into the project.

Dameria 11-14-2009 12:56 PM

[QUOTE=Mashal;13281]You look really trained can u help me with my assigment here it is:

A scene will consist of three critters dancing. The each of the three scenes is to be very similar. The first scene will have a critter of one kind dancing with two critters of another kind. (A ‘kind’ of critter means an animal or person. Pick the classes you use according to your own taste). The second scene will have one of the two critters from the first scene dancing with two critters of yet another type. The third scene will have one of each of the three different kinds of critters dancing.
To display the scenes, you will write a “playScene” method. You will call this method three times with three different sets of arguments.
Within the method, the three critters in the scene will appear in appropriate positions. The three critters will do a short dance and disappear. For each of the three classes of critters, you will need to design your own dance methods. The dances can be simple or elaborate depending on your tastes but each class of critter should have its own style of dancing.[/QUOTE]

Looks like another lazy student who wants someone else to do their project...