Alice Community

Alice Community (http://www.alice.org/community/index.php)
-   Share Worlds (http://www.alice.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Resident Penguin (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=3205)

x2495iiii 11-14-2009 01:22 PM

Well, if he shows good faith effort, I'll help. If not I won't. Simple as that.

By the way, I am still working on RP4. I've been spread a little thin lately, with midterms in college and my new job (yay job!), but I'm still making progress.

x2495iiii 11-26-2009 11:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Alrighty, it's about time for another progress report. I'll go ahead and tell you what powers I have added right now. There are a few I don't know where to put, like which class matches it the best. What do you guys think?

-Doppelganger: a zombie kicks you, but gets filled with kunai instead of winning
-Freeze Time: the world gets iced over and time freezes. Doesn't affect the big one
-Quickdraw: Go into first person mode and click as many zombies as you can (the mouse moves the camera). At the end of quickdraw, the penguin automatically blasts each of the targets in order
-Sniper: Go into a first-person, point-and-click sniper rifle mode. Very lethal if you know how to use it.
-Spin Attack: Alright, this one's kinda silly and obvious, but you get a sword and you spin, KO'ing the zombies around you

I just yesterday finished coding for a spider enemy which drops from the top of the screen on a web, then crawls towards you and paralyzes you for 2 seconds.

Here are my plans for extra powers:
-Mid-air Raid: You throw a bomb in the air and try to click it before it falls. If you get it, it hurts all enemies onscreen. If you don't, it hurts only a few. Usable twice a level
-Death Blossom: If you have bullet time, activate it, then activate this power. The penguin will go into a firing frenzy which will take up a large amount of bullet time power, but has a high chance of hitting everything onscreen.
-Assassinate: Penguin teleports behind three random enemies and auto-KO's them (can work on the big one).
-Air Raid: Paint a target, then watch as it and anything near it gets blown up
-Counterstrike: (This one'll be tough to code) if a zombie has reared back to kick you, activate this power. It'll save you, and generate a damaging energy wave in front of you

So here's my question: What kind of power would a Blaster (laser expert) have? I was thinking I could give it the Freeze Time, like Megaman had in one of the original games, but then what else could it have (remember each class gets two powers, one which comes with the class and one which can be bought)? Maybe it could charge the Shining Spreader faster or something? I'm seriously drawing a blank.

Now, finally, I said I'd be including some neat explosion effects in RP4. I've included one such effect at the bottom of this post (I have lots more, but I'll release them when RP4 is complete).

Back to work for me!

fatdu4 11-27-2009 09:06 AM

LOL that was great fun and the ending is priceless. GREAT WORK!:D

jediaction 11-27-2009 01:59 PM

Cool explosion, just asking is that it. Just the explosion, not saying that there is anything wrong i was just wondering because all teh comments say there is like something else

x2495iiii 11-27-2009 03:29 PM

On, no THAT'S not RP4, that's just a demo of one of the special effects I made specially for the game. It's an explosion I made in a similar way to the smoke and fireAnimation in the Special Effects gallery.

RP4's on it's way, though.

zarfang8 11-28-2009 10:25 AM

2 Attachment(s)
my favortie upgrade is repel! I thought of two upgrades you might consider, I know you probably have you're hands full, but they might intrest you. one could be where the clouds all shoot giant lightning bolts that destroy all the zombies they touch! You could also make one where the zombies all slow way down for 1 second for some points, which you could buy in the pause menu.
Just an idea.

For the Blaster, maybe it could supercharge all Laser weapons, like the M16, Shining Lance, and Shining spreader?

By the Way, I added 2 pictures that could be used as some kind of title or cover. One has the Words Resident Penguin, One is For adding you're own text if you want to use them and you don't like the look of the words. hope you like them!

Dameria 11-28-2009 01:04 PM

[QUOTE=zarfang8;13695]about seeing the zombies after you lose, you could also Try The EventsStopEscending, just to see if it works. Sometimes that helps you that when the light shines right, You can't see them there, even if they are 0% Opaque, I wonder if it would work![/QUOTE]

He said that he left that in there on purpose. I guess if he really wanted to fix it he could just add to the ending method to turn all zombies IsShowing = false

zarfang8 11-28-2009 02:02 PM

I love The new weapons! That was awesome! I Think When You publish RP4, It might be good to have it on a new post, (10 pages on this one, WOW!)

Is yout avatar Just the Penguin With The Ambientlightbrighness and Light To 0? Or do you make the penguin and the gun black?

x2495iiii 11-29-2009 06:29 PM

Yeah I thought that bug was funny, so I left it in there.

The lightning idea's kinda cool. Maybe I could think of something I could do with that, thanks.

As for slowing down, there's already a bullet-time power and there will be a freeze-time power. I don't see how adding another slowdown power could help.

I really like the pictures you made, those are neat. You know I actually made my avatar by messing around with RP1. I also made a few pictures for an album on my user profile, but I haven't finished it.

dubastot 11-29-2009 06:57 PM

Your avatar is really something different. It reminds me of James Bond except its a penguin.

zarfang8 11-30-2009 05:41 PM

[QUOTE=x2495iiii;13731]Yeah I thought that bug was funny, so I left it in there.

The lightning idea's kinda cool. Maybe I could think of something I could do with that, thanks.

As for slowing down, there's already a bullet-time power and there will be a freeze-time power. I don't see how adding another slowdown power could help.

I really like the pictures you made, those are neat. You know I actually made my avatar by messing around with RP1. I also made a few pictures for an album on my user profile, but I haven't finished it.[/QUOTE]

Cool! I would really like to see those! I like The Zombie in the back flying into the goal, I think when you win the game, It would be cool if A zombie Did go into the Goal. TouchDown!

psdao1102 12-02-2009 02:46 PM

i love RP, but you have so many things to do, yet so few levels. I could see if you wanted to cap out at lets say 30 levels, but preferably id be like galiga with no end, and the levels just get harder till you lose. Ether way keep up the good work!

Delpenator 12-07-2009 08:27 PM

You are the man! This game is better than the you based it off of!

Timator6 12-08-2009 02:44 PM

hey can u post an updated version to 3.1 please!!! Me and my friend always finish our projects early so we can play it in class!!! You also saved us on working on a points system for a game we had to make. You are the best and I can't wait to play RP4!!!!

x2495iiii 12-08-2009 06:10 PM

I'm working on it, thanks for all your support guys!

Timator6 12-09-2009 07:43 PM

what if when you beat the game an animation appears where the penguin kicks the big one through the field goal posts!!!

x2495iiii 12-10-2009 04:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A few people have asked for more levels in RP3 and for updates, so here you go, RP3.5. RP4 isn't quite done yet, so I hope this holds you over for awhile.

New Features:

-Option to play forever (I haven't tested it fully, as I haven't been able to actually get that far in the game. If someone could confirm that it works, that'd be great.)
-If you don't play forever, you now have 15 levels instead of 6.
-A new enemy: the spider! It can't kill you, but it can paralyze you for 2 seconds, so watch out!
-A cooler explosion for the Big One
-Bug Fixed: Zombies used to be able to hide behind or in front of the Big One and never be viable targets. Not anymore.
-Bug Fixed: Goalpost was backwards. Not anymore.

I expect bugs, especially in the pause menu, so if you spot any, tell me.

Dameria 12-10-2009 06:03 PM

I can see that you have held off from the classes until RP4, but I really like the changes that you have made for 3.5. I noticed that the goal post is the right way this time as you have mentioned, which is better. Also I really like the spider that you put in. It takes quite a few shots to kill them, but enough for it to be fair, and I like the effect it has on you when it bites you (getting paralyzed XD, really nice and creative).

Also I liked the new explosion of the big zombie, but I think it should rock the screen a little bit (I have to learn how to do those animation things like the explosion, they could come in handy). Also I do remember the not being able to hit zombie glitch when the big zombie was there in 3.1, and although I have not encountered it yet, I am glad that you fixed it. Good job on the bug patching and keep up the great work for 4.0!! Can't wait for it, and yes, this will definitely hold me over until then, great job on 3.5.

moneys66 12-14-2009 12:48 PM

buying guns

i seem to have problems with buying guns and opening the upgrades section other that its a very fun game.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

polanak 12-15-2009 01:40 PM

Zombies win!!!

I love losing lol! Very nice game

x2495iiii 02-10-2010 05:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'd like to celebrate the 100th post on this thread with a sweet, sweet announcement:

Work on RP4 has started again! It'll be competing with at least 3 other large games for title of "Best Game" on the Alice Boards!

Read about it here:

[url]http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=3865&page=4[/url]

Good luck to my current competitors...but you're going down:p!

dubastot 02-10-2010 05:19 PM

Nice! But that title will be mine!:cool:

x2495iiii 02-10-2010 05:24 PM

You're entering too, eh? That makes three games to compete with! What's your entrance going to be?

Actually, I should probably make a nice sticky thread that explains the rules and lets more people know about the competition.

dubastot 02-10-2010 05:26 PM

My flight simulator.......

x2495iiii 02-10-2010 05:38 PM

Nice. You've got a ways to go, though, before it becomes a full game. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

dubastot 02-10-2010 05:52 PM

And good luck to you! Thank you! My progress will be slow for a number of weeks/ months as I am being overloaded with work.

x2495iiii 02-10-2010 06:03 PM

Well, hopefully four months is enough time to get it nice and ready.

jediaction 02-11-2010 02:36 PM

Ok, i dont want it to go for 4 months, make it 3 ok. June!

Im entering my Heroes mission 1

How do you upload images. It says put in the URL. of the image?

I just found a HUGE !!!!!!!!!!!GLITCH. When i started the game, i sped it up to see the field goal post turned around, then when i pressed restart...everything was invisible except the interfave. I could shoot and do everything, jsut nothing was there

x2495iiii 02-11-2010 05:09 PM

[QUOTE=jediaction;16786]How do you upload images. It says put in the URL. of the image?[/QUOTE]

That's only if you try to attach it from inside your post. Use the Manage Attachments button to browse through your files and attch it from there.

[QUOTE=jediaction;16784]Im entering my Heroes mission 1[/QUOTE]

K. Nice.

[QUOTE=jediaction;16783]Ok, i dont want it to go for 4 months, make it 3 ok. June![/QUOTE]

K, that's a proposal for it, but so far you're the only one who's asked for that. If at least two other entrants ask for the moving up of the deadline, I'll consider it.

And as for the glitch:

That' something I can't fix. Sometimes, especially for complex worlds, the speed slider can break stuff.

It actually should reset itself if you click "Stop," then "Play" again.

jediaction 02-11-2010 06:33 PM

Alright, I agree and im waiting for RP4. IM SO EXCITED!

Chris101b 02-11-2010 11:03 PM

I am too, but my game is going to blow it out of the water ;)

It's looking good so far... I am spending a lot of time trying to polish it to make it look and sound better than ever. Can't wait to finish the cutscene so that I can move on to the gameplay. I have a couple more ideas that I could add to the engine :)

jediaction 02-12-2010 08:32 AM

I might get toasted, my game is not good enough. I must make it better

Truehero 02-15-2010 07:54 PM

Awesome game. Easy to get the hang of and its well done. Really fun too!!!

jediaction 02-16-2010 06:37 AM

Yah, and there is a contest for who can make the best games. Resident Penguin 4 is one of those games

x2495iiii 03-11-2010 12:30 PM

RP4 Beta test

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I tried having it tested privately but that didn't work out so well, so I decided to tip my hand and post my work so far. Now, if you wish to test it out and give me feedback, you may, but be aware that if you're a competitor in the contest, you're helping me out, so it's up to you. I'm posting this in the hopes that non-competitors, like shaydon, veryuhbull, and cardsfan527, will check this out and tell me what's what.

So here's the list of vital details:

Added:
+Splatter animation for spider (not gory, just looks more like you squashed a bug, which you did)
+Opening title screen for beginning of game
+Opening Menu (only the start button works for now, press enter if you don't feel like clicking)
+Class Selection method (with cool pictures too! Not all of them work yet, though, see below)
+Blaster: arm cannon replaces Beretta as main weapon, can freeze time
+Marksman: walther nighthawk replaces Beretta as main weapon (may or may not work), can pull out a sinper rifle as long as one of the power keys is held to use as a powerful, one-hit kill weapon (can even kill the big one if you aim it right), can go into quickdraw mode where you scroll your mouse to move the camera and click on as many zombies as you can, then let go and the penguin shoots all the zombies you clicked in order.
+Slayer: Gets the master sword and a spin attack (I'll be adding more powers to all of them later, just be patient)
+Added death animations to the zombies
+Added sound effects for the Beretta only (try using it during bullet time)
+Added BGM. Should loop nicely. (keep your volume down, it's loud)
+Made the big one easier to kill. Guy was nearly impossible to get rid of with just the Beretta, so if you were unlucky enough to get him in round 1, you were pretty much hosed. Not anymore.

Removed:
-Extra levels and play forever mode (had to start from an older copy of RP3, but I planned to redesign them anyway, so it works out)
-The smooth zombie-kick method. It will now have an ever-so-slight pause before the penguin goes flying. This is because I'm working on a way for the penguin to be able to stop the zombies even if they're getting ready to kick him.

Coming Up Next:
~Powers for all the classes
~Sound for all the weapons
~Point images that float above the target you just hit
~More BGM (hopefully)
~More zombie animation (I'm hoping to give them a semi-good looking shuffle)

Remember, this is a beta version, so I expect LOADS of bugs. If you feel like telling me about them, fine. If not, I'm just giving you a peek as to what you'll be up against come July...hoho.

jediaction 03-11-2010 01:08 PM

Well i liked it and i did nto like it. So many glitches, only 1 level.Music stops and never starts again unless i speed up the game, cant buy anything because the clicking does not work, the interface goes off the screen ...getting there

x2495iiii 03-11-2010 09:56 PM

Okay, now that's stuff that I KNOW is unique to you, because I did some testing myself and that's not what happens to me. Is anyone else getting this?

shaydon 03-11-2010 10:26 PM

[QUOTE=x2495iiii;18321]Okay, now that's stuff that I KNOW is unique to you, because I did some testing myself and that's not what happens to me. Is anyone else getting this?[/QUOTE]

downloadin now

[size="4"][font="arial black"]omg best game i have ever played on alice ever!!! You are the best omg! This even beats farcry2 (my now 2nd favorite game ever)[/font][/size]

x2495iiii 03-12-2010 02:18 AM

Glad you liked it!

So none of the glitches that happened to jediaction happened to you then?

shaydon 03-12-2010 04:05 PM

[QUOTE=x2495iiii;18334]Glad you liked it!

So none of the glitches that happened to jediaction happened to you then?[/QUOTE]

no its perfect how it is OMG its adictive :)