Alice Community

Alice Community (http://www.alice.org/community/index.php)
-   Share Worlds (http://www.alice.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   online game? (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=4655)

beachbum111111 06-24-2010 07:44 PM

online game?

i want to make a alice game that you can play online but i don't know how.

kjobrien 06-25-2010 11:51 AM

Aweseome sounds awesome

I love the idea and I too have also wanted to try something multiplayer, hopefully online. I wsh I was alot better in alice so I could tell you how, but my 4th week of class is comming up 6-29-2010 my first test. No pronlem ill blow that thing away I spend alot of time with alice and I know there alot a question I will not be able to get answaered there. I think nthe idea is great

zonedabone 06-25-2010 01:08 PM

Sadly, it currently can't be done with our knowledge.

We are working hard to make a game that uses the internet, but it can't be played in a web browser.

kjobrien 06-25-2010 01:17 PM

Now that you say that it does sound kinda hard

I did not even think of having to run the game through a browser. I can just imageing the problems there would be. I still think it would be an awesome idea. That or being able to make some animation in 3D, have the been any attemts at that?

beachbum111111 06-27-2010 05:31 PM

i just hope we can find out soon

arty-fishL 06-28-2010 05:29 PM

online multiplayer

Ive got two methods of doing this that I am working on.
One uses an ftp connection, but this is slow and can be unreliable, say the server is down, like mine is now:mad:.
The other forms a direct connection using sockets and ports and stuff between the computers. This seems to be much faster and is not affected if the server is down (cos its a host-client thing, there is no server). Problem is, so far this requires users to know the other persons connection details, ive got to work on this, and Alice freezes when trying to start the script. The python interpreter doesnt freeze on me, but Alice is less reliable.
So I will post again when I get things working more.:cool:

zonedabone 06-28-2010 09:19 PM

arty! there's a problem with connections between computers without a server. Two computers that aren't within the same router would have to be in the DMZ to communicate, and we [U][I][B]ARE NOT[/B][/I][/U] putting Alice users' computers in the DMZ. That's why we need a server.

I'm working into getting a server to host via python on a nonstandard port. This would allow for a GREAT connection, using the same reliable features of standard website hosting. The easiest way to do this would be with a VPS, but those cost money.:(

jediaction 06-28-2010 09:52 PM

You should look at past conversations beach bum and you will see that we've had conversations like this before about online. Connecting to Alices on the same computer has been done. I'm learning about scripting in networking games and if i can figure that out, mabye i can use that knowledge for Alice. Just a thought

arty-fishL 06-29-2010 10:28 AM

[QUOTE=zonedabone;22679]arty! there's a problem with connections between computers without a server. Two computers that aren't within the same router would have to be in the DMZ to communicate, and we [U][I][B]ARE NOT[/B][/I][/U] putting Alice users' computers in the DMZ. That's why we need a server.

I'm working into getting a server to host via python on a nonstandard port. This would allow for a GREAT connection, using the same reliable features of standard website hosting. The easiest way to do this would be with a VPS, but those cost money.:([/QUOTE]

I know this, there were all these discussions around this subject when Zenteo released his online thing, that's why I have started work on the insecure network, as I sent to you in a pm, if I can get this to work properly then I can work on a secure network, which I have already partially started. This is to be followed by something related to what you said above.
You cant start at the hardest end, you've got to work your way up.
and as for this:[QUOTE]reliable features of standard website hosting[/QUOTE]I disagree, so far I have had three of my accounts suddenly deleted on 3 different hosts, including everything I had stored on them.

arty-fishL 06-29-2010 10:29 AM

[QUOTE=jediaction;22683]Alcie.[/QUOTE]:confused::p