Alice Community

Alice Community (http://www.alice.org/community/index.php)
-   Works-In-Progress (http://www.alice.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Sky Warrior - Gradius Style! (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=6861)

zero00 07-10-2011 12:04 AM

The video review? It was great! I'm also glad you enjoyed the game! :D

(On an unrelated note: When and how did I become a senior member? :eek:)

room14 07-10-2011 03:05 AM

Post 50 posts.
welcome to the club dude.

zero00 07-10-2011 11:40 AM

Some progress

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture of the "Juggler". Tell me what you think of it! :D

jediaction 07-10-2011 01:48 PM

Hmm...How often do those beams move. It looks cool.

zero00 07-10-2011 02:53 PM

At the moment, mostly in circles. It can also use them to trap the player. The Juggler's core also shoots bullets.

arty-fishL 07-10-2011 03:28 PM

[QUOTE=zero00;38803]Here's a picture of the "Juggler". Tell me what you think of it! :D[/QUOTE]Cool, looks tricky. Did you come up with it completely yourself? What was your inspiration?

zero00 07-10-2011 03:32 PM

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-cP9KmzIVc#t=2m30s"][B]This.[/B][/URL] Also, [URL="http://gradius.wikia.com/wiki/Laser_Tetran"][B]this[/B][/URL] (unconsciously).

jediaction 07-10-2011 03:44 PM

[QUOTE=zero00;38820]At the moment, mostly in circles. It can also use them to trap the player. The Juggler's core also shoots bullets.[/QUOTE]

Make sure you can't go through the boss. Because in your first stage, you could. Make it shooter slower and less often. It was annoying.

zero00 07-11-2011 10:37 PM

Its starting to get kind of frustrating to get one of the bosses attacks to work.

(If you want to help me [B]playtest[/B] this game, download the file below. To change the Juggler Attack Pattern, change its "difficulty" variable to 1, 2, or 3. Play the game as many times as can and record any errors or bugs you encounter. For example: floating lasers or misplaced explosions)

[URL="http://www.mediafire.com/file/vn35qo4isks07yo/gradius-like-part2-try9.a2w"]Here is the game at the moment.[/URL]

ElectricKirby 07-12-2011 03:35 AM

The biggest thing here is that I'm unable to die. I can reach 0 and still get hit. And not die.

zero00 07-12-2011 05:43 AM

I know. I forgot to mention that I haven't set up the death animations yet. :p
Too busy trying to get the enemies to attack and die correctly!

zero00 07-15-2011 12:38 PM

I've fixed the attacks! Just had to step away from the game for a while.

During that time, I finally beat Gradius V [SIZE="1"](on very easy)[/SIZE]. I thought to myself, "Is my game really [I]that[/I] difficult?" I then thought, "Nah. My game's not that hard!" :p I promptly came up with more ideas to make the game harder.

Anyway, I'm working on Revolver Force now. It seems to be easier to program for than the Juggler! :D

zero00 07-18-2011 08:18 AM

Another enemy will be added!

2 Attachment(s)
I wanted to keep this as a surprise, but I've decided to say it anyway. I've decided to bring Urchin Force back. I don't think that was a surprise to some of you, though...
Anyway, I don't want any of the bosses to work [I]exactly[/I] the same way they did in the first Sky Warrior game, so I'm giving Urchin Force some new tricks... ;)
Remember before when I said my "Tetran" experiment had failed before...
Well, I tried it again, it works perfectly now! :D

"[B]Tetran[/B]" was the first experiment. The arms caused too much lag and the experiment failed.
"[B]Urchin_force_tetra[/B]" is the successful experiment. Watch it through to the end! The arms can fold back inside of Urchin Force.

There's a very good chance I'll give Urchin Force 4 arms (if it works). Also, the arms will probably shoot lasers.

jediaction 07-18-2011 10:03 AM

Wow, very cool. That looks very fluid in movements. It will be as good as your first one. Man, I only dream about making ropes, but your actually making fluid angles. Btw, the robotic sounds in the music sounds like Portal 2 soundtrack.

zero00 07-18-2011 01:45 PM

And one more thing...

2 Attachment(s)
Just now, I upgraded the Bullet Shooter object from having [B]8[/B] bullets on screen to [B]20[/B].
It can literally shoot waves of bullets. :D
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="PaleTurquoise"]I can make it go higher than that BTW... [/COLOR][/SIZE]

jediaction 07-18-2011 02:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That should be a power up. I think it seems a little bit weird. I don't know why, but it just doesn't fit your ship.

Btw...

zero00 07-18-2011 02:45 PM

It's not for the player...

Also, that number was just there for me to see if the Bullet Collision Detections were working. It works! :p

BTW Just noticed this is my 100th post! :D

zero00 07-19-2011 11:36 AM

Urchin Force News

1 Attachment(s)
Urchin Force is being added to the game! :D It definitely has some new tricks and attacks this time. These may include:
(Don't read if you want the attacks to be a surprise! :D)
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="PaleTurquoise"]-A Gravity Field which will draw you towards it. It may or may not bend the path of your bullets.
-The Tetran Arms (2 or 4 of them). They will move independently.
-Projectile Attacks. Lots of them.
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Also, it has a core. You have to shoot it in the center, as opposed to the other versions of Urchin Force where you could shoot it anywhere.

Here's a slightly "photoshopped" picture! :D

zero00 07-20-2011 04:26 PM

Urchin Force update

Quick Update: I removed the "Destroy The Core" thing with Urchin Force. As it turns out, the core is hard to hit. [B]Even Seeker Force couldn't hit Urchin Force enough to be effective![/B] :eek: Not only that, but Urchin Force still has obscenely high amounts of health.

So as it turns out...
High Health + Difficult to Hit + Difficult to Predict Attacks = Not Fun :mad:

So, I removed one of those. :p [B]You can now shoot its body to deal damage.[/B]
The core is still there though and [B]it looks awesome![/B] :D

BTW I don't know if said this yet, but I've added 2 new weapons, Seeker Force and Sword Force.

[B]Seeker Force[/B]
+ Automatically [B]aims[/B] at the current boss, regardless of your orientation
- -25% damage

[B]Sword Force[/B] [SIZE="1"](may be called Dagger Force in the future, but not likely)[/SIZE]
+ Extremely High Damage and Rate of Fire
- Range is extremely Short

ElectricKirby 07-20-2011 04:39 PM

You could have it so you can shoot the body until it breaks apart, and then you have to destroy the core.

NEW IDEA THAT I CAME UP WITH WHILE TYPING MY PREVIOUS STATEMENT:

When you destroy Urchin Force, you could have it break apart and have Core Force come out of the destroyed Urchin Force.

zero00 07-20-2011 05:23 PM

That's a great idea, but I already programmed the Juggler to do that. Not really sure about doing that twice... :(
Then again... :rolleyes:

As for making Core Force come out of Urchin Force's remains, that's also a really good idea, but then one would ask "Why doesn't Urchin Force also use Core Force's attacks in addition to its own?"
Then again... :rolleyes:

Actually, these are great ideas! I'll keep them in mind! :D

zero00 07-24-2011 02:33 PM

Bad News and Good News

I've got some bad and some good news (mostly good, though)

Bad News
-I'm removing Urchin Force's Arms. They were too frustrating to get to get them to reanimate properly. I'll probably try making them work again though...

Good News
+Everything else about Urchin Force appears to be working fine. It can bounce around the screen, teleport, change size, and hurt you! It also still has its obscenely high amount of health! :D
+It also shoot bullets using the new upgraded Bullet Shooter (up to 20 bullets on screen) :D
+There is a possibility it could also use lasers. The long energy beam kind. :D

Good News (regarding the game)
+If someone in the Alice Community knows how to use the Alice's scripting feature or Arty's Scripting Tool and agrees to help me, there is a possibility for [B]high score tables[/B] and [B]the ability to save your progress[/B] to appear in the game.
+ A variety of weapon types are available. They are:
-[B]Normal Shot[/B]
-[B]Max Power[/B]
-[B]Seeker Force[/B]
-[B]Sword Force[/B]

zero00 07-28-2011 01:15 AM

Gravity Bend!

1 Attachment(s)
Remember that Gravity Field I mentioned so time ago? I said that it may or may not bend your bullets away from it. Now it can! I think it looks pretty good!

Here is my Bullet Bending Experiment!

DensetsuNoKaboom 07-28-2011 02:51 PM

Don't you just love being able to edit Alice worlds?

[url]http://www.upload.ee/files/1533009/Kirbius.a2w.html[/url]

zero00 07-28-2011 09:02 PM

Curtain Fire!

1 Attachment(s)
ElectricKirby had sent me a PM once, regarding a game called "Mushihime-sama". It looks like [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQZuidKexBQ"][B]this.[/URL][/B]

Well, through a little happy accident, I think I created a similar effect (though not nearly as extreme as in that video :D I don't intend to make it that extreme either.)

Every bullet you see in the picture is going in a different direction, and can also speed up unexpectedly (though, I probably won't make it do that)

@Densetsu Now, I think I need to add a Kirby Easter Egg in the game, somehow! :D

arty-fishL 07-29-2011 05:52 PM

That bullet bending thing and that bullet spraying thing are so so good. I must say - this is looking so professional and
super-[SIZE=7][COLOR=Indigo][U][B]BRILLIANT[/B][/U][/COLOR][/SIZE]

zero00 07-30-2011 05:15 AM

A New Stage?

1 Attachment(s)
After reading Nighthawk's review of Sky Warrior, I had decided to try adding more stages to the game. After looking at a Japanese game, I was inspired to make this!

Before you play the Alice World, play [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRhlwtv-P48"][B]this music[/B][/URL] while running it! (The music is a remix of a song called "Burn the Wind" in the game, Salamander)

Edit: Just had a thought. This stage could also be used a nice menu screen!

zero00 08-01-2011 09:45 AM

Title Screens!

2 Attachment(s)
I have created two title screens for the game.

Normally, I wait until the gameplay is completed before making the game "look pretty", but I wanted to share these. I personally prefer the second one! :D

BTW, Revolver Force is finished, and Urchin Force is mostly done (it just needs its attack patterns set up)!

jediaction 08-01-2011 11:10 AM

Sweet. I'm ready for a review!

zero00 08-02-2011 05:20 AM

Getting closer to completion!

3 Attachment(s)
[B]Revolver Force and Urchin Force's attacks are complete![/B] :D
All that's left to complete is the Juggler's Attacks! After that, I can polish up the game and add interesting features.

If anyone has any ideas for attacks that the Juggler could use, please post them in this thread or PM me! :D

Juggler Force is shown in the pictures below.
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="PaleTurquoise"]Ignore the fact that the player health is 1000-something in the pictures[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Its attacks are currently...[list][*]Lasers (shown below, the lasers can also turned in any direction)[*]Firing Bullets (also shown in the 2nd and 3rd picture, they will be replaced with better looking bullets :D)[*]Ramming the Player (it is briefly invincible when it does this attack)[/list]

ElectricKirby 08-02-2011 06:10 AM

How about Juggler can launch some kind of explosive drone that follows the player around the screen, stops, then explodes, like a Bob-Omb?

zero00 08-02-2011 06:13 AM

That sounds like a great idea! :D It also reminded me of [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh4Ea7B7X6A#t=16s"]this boss's[/URL] attack!

zero00 08-02-2011 10:27 AM

The Memory Leak Strikes Again...

1 Attachment(s)
As I've made my Alice games bigger, I've noticed that Alice has a strange problem. It appears to have some kind of memory leak. It has caused many problems for me before. It's one of the reasons the Tenkan experiment failed. And now, it's interfering with this game, too!

Because of this, I may have to cut some things from the game. The Juggler will likely be removed as its attacks are not set up yet.

The picture below shows how much memory Alice is using, trying to run this world, after all of the bosses have been defeated. The picture says the game is using [B]850,000 K[/B] of Memory. (I left Alice on as I typed this post. The number somehow grew to[B] 933,052 K[/B] even though it's not doing anything)

legolizard 08-02-2011 11:41 AM

Are you using Windows 7 or XP?

zero00 08-02-2011 11:46 AM

Windows 7 64-bit
6 GB RAM
i7-Q720 Processor

legolizard 08-02-2011 11:50 AM

Nice well what works for me is to

A) Close Alice every once and a while after some heavy coding.

B)Run Alice in compatibility mode, oddly Alice runs smoother on XP.

zero00 08-02-2011 12:03 PM

I've already done option 1 to program the game. It crashed when I rebooted Alice and fought the bosses up the 3rd boss where it crashed before I could defeat it.

I've tried option 2 recently and it may work if I do that.

legolizard 08-02-2011 01:06 PM

I have never tried this with Alice before but you could also set Alice as a higher priority in the Task Manager.

zero00 08-02-2011 07:24 PM

Update on Game

1 Attachment(s)
I have made a copy of the game with the Juggler removed. The game runs smoother and doesn't crash while running! :D The game itself is [B]effectively done[/B] now. It just needs to be polished up to look nice and presentable.

I have also decided on a name for this game. The world included in this post will tell you. Download the world below, stretch it across the screen if you want, and enjoy. I think it's pretty awesome.

DensetsuNoKaboom 08-02-2011 07:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cool intro. I also love how easy it is for me to mess with the letters.