View Single Post
Comments
Old
DrJim

Default Comments - 09-24-2006, 12:38 PM

Re Biturn and virus's, etc. - think you're OK - at least I was this morning. I just downloaded bi088.rar, extracted the files and ran it on three machines, followed by a full virus scan on all three with two different virus protection programs. Nothing found on two and a couple of spyware programs on the third, which I hadn't scanned for a while. Sadly , that's about as good as it's going to get.

I've also extracted the .rar files using both 7-Zip, which you may have if you're running Windows XP, and the standard .rar compress/extract program (WinRar or something close). 7-Zip has the advantage of being free. Both work fine.

Haven't looked at Truespace 3.2 in detail yet but it's worth downloading, since it's free, just for the tutorials. They are detailed and animated and, in my opinion, really good. They really doen't cover anything related to learing to program - but they do illustrate why Alice is not the final tool to use for games, film animation, etc. It does seem to need quite a bit of memory and speed - don't have it running on my old laptop yet and it wasn’t real quick on the other machine I tried.

One added note, if you're looking for 3-D graphics and animation programs, you might take a look at MilkShape, http://www.milkshape3d.com/ . This had been mentioned in an earlier post and I only looked at it quickly, but if you want to convert gamers to programmers this might be a start. (I did like the slogan on one ad, "Hast du Root4Gamers, Hast du Alles" - pretty much sums up the whole thrust of the effort.)

Jim