View Single Post
Camera effects
Old
Mr Kidnapper

Default Camera effects - 01-09-2012, 11:11 PM

In the meantime, you know what I can think we can do? Camera effects!
Things such as blur, inversion, masking, and HUD.
The idea is to have sliders which modify the degree of blur and a location on the screen (Based on percent width and height) and modifiable variables so that these options can be changed in the middle of play, effectively making it a realtime version of Sony Vegas.
Realtime Blur: The idea is to have different types of blur (Gaussian, Threshold, etc.) that can operate with different shapes (Primarily boxes and circles), and in this way we can fool the user with a tasteful amount of blur so that the end-result looks better than Alice could possibly deliver on its own. In example, we can create motion blur so that the camera blurs in the direction it turns in, various scene transitions, and other devices.

Inversion: You all know what inversion is right? The colors on the color wheel switch places with the ones opposite of them. We can do this in the same way as blur. This is simply to have "Cool Effect." Maybe use this when the character dies after getting shot.

Masking: Masking is preventing change in certain areas of the camera. Perhaps you don't want the outline of the character to be blurred or inverted. With Masking, it'll be all right. But this could be hard.

HUD: Heads Up Display, GUI, whatever you want to call it. In other threads, you have seen me call it Scaleform, referring to Autodesk Scaleform. It's where they use Flash to create an interactive GUI (Though Scaleform is 3D.) We won't be so grandiose with it and stick with a 2D GUI. Essentially what we'll be doing is sticking images in front of the window. These images cannot be affected by any events in Alice (Other than scripting, I guess), so if you want to zoom or run into a wall, the GUI will not be affected and it won't disappear behind the wall or run offscreen. This is of primary concern for FPS makers and Air Sim makers.