Thread: Need Assistance
View Single Post
Need Assistance
Old
AcidicPlague

Default Need Assistance - 04-11-2008, 07:07 PM

I'm currently working on project 1 in Chapter 6. I cannot even get past the first hurdle, and that's getting the objects to switch with one another.

Basically I've got to take four objects and line them in a row, 1 - 2 - 3 - 4. When the user click an object it switches with the object furthest from it. So when you click 4 it swaps with 1, 3 with 1, and 2 with 4. I haven't even the slightest clue of where to begin. I can write a method that makes 1 switch with 4, but only those two objects regardless of where they are in the line up.
I cannot for the life of me figure out how to assign objects numbers when they're in a specific position so that I can just make a method that calls Obj1 to move to Obj4 depending on what object are in those spots. Could anyone guide me in the direction as to how I can even begin this program?

I imagined that I could use nested If/Then statements, but I am flat out stumped. From 1 to 4 I've got Anubis, Isis, Ra, Pharaoh. I figured I would be able to do something like the following and just repeat it two more times for the other possibilities.

Code:
If Anubis distance to Pharaoh > Anubis distance to Isis AND Anubis distance to Ra
Then Do Together Anubis move distance to Pharaoh / Pharaoh move distance to Anubis
but I can't figure out how to make an a > b and c function.

Last edited by AcidicPlague; 04-11-2008 at 07:39 PM.