View Single Post
Old
Lucien

Default 02-04-2008, 04:42 PM

From what I've heard, creating Alice objects requires you to get another 3-d rendering program and create the objects manually that way. I believe images can be imported as billboards, which is probably what you'll want to do with the calculator etc. for simplicity's sake.

First off, you should understand that it's been my experience that Alice is not good for games with large portions of text. Text in Alice is 3-d rendered, and as such has size and dimension and texture that you will have to work with to make it look acceptable. It can be done, but it would take a goodly bit of work to make the interface easily readable and usable.

If you really want to do this, then you're going to want to read all the Alice tutorials that you can find before starting in on the project. A solid base of Alice / programming knowledge will help you greatly with this project. I believe Dick Baldwin has a good set of tutorials for public use, and you can also probably look on Google for other information.

After you know how to do what you want to do, make sure you know exactly what it is you want to do. I would write it out on a piece of paper or a storyboard- "give user x dollars per (time unit) / per click of button x / per transaction", "perform transactions by clicking on item to purchase / entering how much of item to purchase / clicking button to purchase" etc. After you get the basic plan written down, then you can work on coding it all in. Cutscenes can be written in as you come to them, or they can be left until later (provided that you're using called methods or other flexible means of coding to do this).

All in all, you're looking at a good bit of work, but it's certainly doable. If you need assistance with any part of the project, just post here and we'll help. Good luck!