View Single Post
Old
Mr Kidnapper

Default 09-17-2011, 01:35 AM

To prevent this thread from being unanswered (It will be.) I'll just say this: It's likely no such thing exists—see, to do this would require the service to de-bind the book, a somewhat risky task that involves melting the glue using various tools such as a hairdryer, an oven, or a microwave.
Then, they would have to scan the cover, blow it up, and print it onto a piece of plastic that would wrap around a thick piece of cardboard. So far, all hardcovers also seem to undergo lamination as well.
After that, they must re-glue the pages together and pray the pages didn't get mixed up or burnt in step 1. I have no idea where the glue comes from.
If you want to do it yourself, your best bet is to glue the paperback cover onto cardboard and hope it fits.
To be honest, this method is a lot of hard work and mass production would actually be easier—ask a manga scanlation group, they know what I'm talking about.

If you want to do it the normal way, you'd add a strong plastic layer on top of the paper like everybody else