Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Can you view programs without the editing apparatus around it?
Old
Kristi

Red face Can you view programs without the editing apparatus around it? - 10-08-2005, 08:44 PM

I want to show off what I've created - is there a way to view it without the editing/writing "desktop" around it? I tried to minimize it when I had the play window open since they seemed to be separate windows - it didn't work.

If I was to figure out how to export to a web page, would it be interactive? In otherwords, would the events triggered by a mouse click or key stroke still work?

Very basic questions, I'm sure, but I'm not gifted computer-wise. I appreciate the time anyone takes to answer.

Kristi

Old
kingsamses

Default 10-09-2005, 10:11 AM

You could resize the playing window by dragging the bottom-right corner around. I'm not sure if you can completely cover the main window, but you could get most of it covered (and a bigger play area). Or you could shrink the main window before you play so you can cover it up.

As for your other question, I'm not sure. I'd assume gabe will next time he logs on.

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 10-11-2005, 12:44 AM

You can't minimize the Alice interface and keep the player on top.

To answer your second question, yes and no. Exporting to web sometimes allows for interactivity. The only way to know for sure if your world will run successfully is through trial and error. For example, the Amusement Park example world allows for arrow key navigation and works beautifully on my machine.

Perhaps a solution would be to create an Alice media player that will load up a world and play it, but not allow for any editing. If there is interest, I can ask Dennis, our programmer, how feasible something like this would be.

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 10-11-2005, 03:04 PM

OK. Dennis is ahead of us, as usual. This functionality is built into Alice. Here's how to run your world without having to start up Alice:

1. Download the attached zip file
2. Extract "player.bat" into the "required" directory of Alice
3. Double-click player.bat. An open world dialog box will appear
4. Navigate to your world and select it

Please let me know if this works/doesn't work for you.
Attached Files
File Type: zip player.zip (405 Bytes, 942 views)

Old
OmniDistortion

Default 10-11-2005, 03:45 PM

That's pretty interesting, but I cannot test it here with only the a2w file and this college PC. The point of the matter is that if I were to send it to a friend or someone who did not have Alice that they could watch or interact with it as is. A stand-alone program.

Player works - thanks!
Old
Kristi

Talking Player works - thanks! - 10-12-2005, 10:32 PM

I did get the player to work. It was nice to see the program run larger (I didn't think of enlarging it before - I was too busy thinking of how to get rid of the control panel desk top) and on a blank desktop. I am using this interactively with kids, they find information to fill out a worksheet. They were distracted by all the editing/writing tools around the viewing window. I was also concerned with what they might do to the program - some of them are more computer literate than me!!

With the player, is there a way to start the program again? Using the viewer within Alice you can pause, resume and restart. Mainly, I am interested in restart, without having to load the program again. I'd also like to get the program cued up then start it when I want. Is this possible?

Thanks so much for your help.

Kristi

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 10-13-2005, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniDistortion
That's pretty interesting, but I cannot test it here with only the a2w file and this college PC. The point of the matter is that if I were to send it to a friend or someone who did not have Alice that they could watch or interact with it as is. A stand-alone program.
I will look into this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi
With the player, is there a way to start the program again? Using the viewer within Alice you can pause, resume and restart. Mainly, I am interested in restart, without having to load the program again. I'd also like to get the program cued up then start it when I want. Is this possible?
None of this is currently possible with the external player. If I can get Dennis to build a self-contained a2w viewer, I will see about getting the same features available as are on the player that is built into the system.

Old
Tiamosarah

Default 11-09-2005, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe
OK. Dennis is ahead of us, as usual. This functionality is built into Alice. Here's how to run your world without having to start up Alice:

1. Download the attached zip file
2. Extract "player.bat" into the "required" directory of Alice
3. Double-click player.bat. An open world dialog box will appear
4. Navigate to your world and select it

Please let me know if this works/doesn't work for you.

This did not work for me. I tried it and it says, terminate batch job?? what can I do

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 11-10-2005, 09:57 AM

Dennis, any thoughts on this?

Old
Azerilli1

Default 06-17-2006, 04:42 PM

Would it be possible to remove any unneccesary files to make the Required folder smaller? If that is possible, then the Player could be shared via email and such.