Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Bugs and Troubleshooting

Alice won't run
Old
edster57

Default Alice won't run - 09-24-2007, 10:35 AM

We have a very weird issue here. Running XP SP2 and Alice 2.0 04/05/2005. A system admin or teacher can run the program without a problem. Some students will get the splash screen but then nothing. If they log onto another machine in the lab they have no problem. All machines are configured the same, all students have the same rights. It may work one day on one machine and not the next. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ed

Alice won't run..
Old
ndateacher

Default Alice won't run.. - 12-17-2007, 11:49 AM

We have the same problem with the same type of machines (XP SP2). Administrator works, student accounts don't and logging on to a different machines works sometimes. Also, it will say that Alice is running do you want to run a copy. If you say Yes, it also sometimes works.

Old
Ping

Default 12-18-2007, 12:28 AM

you are running Alice from the schools server probally.
I recommend Installing Alice to the desktop and running it that way. If you have any type of *server protection tools* it will not let non-administrators run programs from any folders other than the designated students folder or the desktop. Another thing is the computer may be blocking unknown programs from running to prevent viruses and such. I recommend speaking to the schools system administrator.

Alice won't run
Old
ndateacher

Default Alice won't run - 12-18-2007, 05:02 PM

Alice is installed on c:\program files\ on the actual computer. The problem is not server related, but profile related to each computer.

Old
DickBaldwin

Default 12-18-2007, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndateacher View Post
Alice is installed on c:\program files\ on the actual computer. The problem is not server related, but profile related to each computer.
This is really a long shot, but check to see if there is a process running named ImgIcon. It is associated with zip disk software. I had a problem with that the first time I installed and tried to run Alice. If so, you either need to remove that software, stop the ImgIcon process before trying to start Alice, or use the slow version of Alice.

Dick Baldwin
Free Alice tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocalice.htm
Free programming tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/toc.htm

I think I am having a similar problem.
Old
BinyJ

Default I think I am having a similar problem. - 01-31-2008, 04:18 PM

The Alice splash image will show up but after a few minutes it says the program is not responding. I have tried both the regular Alice and the Slow and Steady version. I have also tried the IfAliceFailsTryThis but nothing happened. Is there anything else I can try?