Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Bugs and Troubleshooting

File Menu Messed Up
Old
bredwh

Default File Menu Messed Up - 03-26-2007, 12:33 AM

When I click on the file menu it drops down but it is off screen to the left, with only part of it showing, the words hidden. It still highlights blue-purple when I move my mouse down it over the different selections (Open, Save, etc.) on their far right sides but since this is the only part visible I can't see what I'm highlighting. I minimized the screen and moved it to the right, but it still did the same thing, stretching the file menu off the Alice screen left all the way to the left of the monitor so the words are still hidden like before. It's the same way no matter how far right I move it, the file menu just stretching so the words are still hidden left of view. Any ideas on how to make it go back to normal so I can see it?

Old
DrJim

Default 03-26-2007, 11:43 AM

What you need to do is to reset everything to the default values in the .alice file, which should be in a fairly top level directory.

I think Gabe posted a message on how to do this about six months ago but I couldn't find it with a quick search. (Maybe he can find/repeat it. )

What I usually do is just run "slow and steady" Alice - this usually (not always) resets whatever parameter that is causing the problem back to it's initial value. (Never have figured out exactly what causes the problem.)

If not, all parameters will ususally reset automatically after a day or two (something to be carefull of if you want to change the parameters - say to enable scripting).

Old
bredwh

Default 03-28-2007, 08:10 PM

How do you run "slow and steady" Alice?

"Slow and Steady Alice"
Old
DrJim

Default "Slow and Steady Alice" - 03-28-2007, 09:02 PM

It's a separate .exe file that should have come with the rest of your Alice package. If not, just download it from the web site.

It runs just like any other .exe file. The main difference - although there are several others - is that it just just uses software rendering. Do a search of the forum for more details - there are several postings.

File menu drop down winow appears off screen and to left.
Old
Harrellh

Default File menu drop down winow appears off screen and to left. - 08-29-2007, 02:02 PM

I have experienced the same problem with ALICE, amoung a few other problems. Emailing support has not worked YET> Would someone Please explain how to reset back to default settings in ALICE. The only thing I have changed that would have anything to do with ALICE is my display resolution as asked. I have deleted ALICE several times and uploaded from web site and deleted and reloaded from my disc. Nothing works so far to resolve my issus of when I click on File, the drop down menu appears and expands to the left off my screen. The file drop down window is almost a foot(12") wide. Waiting two, three days does not work >>LOL, removing ALICE and reloading does not work. Changing resoultion and deleting ALICE and reloading ALICE does not resolve this issue. I am spending more time trying to resolve ALICE issues than I am on assignments for class. HELP

Last edited by Harrellh; 08-29-2007 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Problem seems to have resolved itself while I was posting this >> LOL Banans LOL

Solution for File Menu Problem
Old
birdman

Default Solution for File Menu Problem - 02-26-2008, 09:05 AM

Occasionally, the Alice File menu opens to the left and is essentially unreadable.

This problem appears to be caused by very long file paths in the 'recent files' menu selection. It can be easily fixed by setting the number of recent files to be displayed to 0 in the general preferences dialog box. After a restart, the menu should perform normally.