Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

How do I stop Alice from making automatic backups?
Old
abrady

Question How do I stop Alice from making automatic backups? - 05-01-2007, 11:06 AM

Hi Gang!

I'm using Alice in the classroom and we're having some problems because of the ginormous backup files Alice makes automatically and apparently, every little bit. The files are time stamped, so you can have several if you work for a while.

My kids save to a network folder and we limit the amount of disk space they can use, so Alice often puts them near their limit with backup files. Second, even when it doesn't, with all the kids here who are using Alice and saving their worlds, our backup program is running to 2 tapes.

I've created a little batch program to search for and delete the backup folders, but it would be so much easier if I could just stop Alice from making them in the first place. Does anyone know how to do this?

TIA

Ann Brady
Southeastern Randolph Middle School
Ramseur, NC

Old
lanceA

Default 05-01-2007, 11:25 AM

Go to the top menus in Alice, click on the Edit menu and then click on Preferences. On the tabbed dialog window that appears select the Seldmon Used tab. There you can set how many copies of backups as well as how often Alice automatically backs up the world.

Good luck,

Added comments on "Preferences"
Old
DrJim

Default Added comments on "Preferences" - 05-01-2007, 11:31 AM

Looks like Lance A has covered the basic question.

As a general comment, it's worth a few minutes of time to look at all of the options available on the Preferences menus. There are quite a few useful things there.

A couple of other notes. Occasionally the preferences will get set back to the defaults "automatically." Some crashes will do that, as well as mixing regular and "slow and steady" versions of Alice. Good in a way - since if you goof, you will get back to the defaults sooner or later - but annoying when it happens and you don't want to change back.

Finally, along this line, there is a ".Alice" file that loads with the program and stores most (all?) of the preference information, as well as other program parameters. Worth a look just to see what's there - if you're feeling brave you can also do some edits there.

Old
DickBaldwin

Default 05-01-2007, 05:56 PM

Although I'm not certain, I believe one of the things that causes Alice to reset preferences to the defaults is shutting down the computer without properly exiting Alice first. Since I started being careful to exit Alice before shutting down, I haven't had any resets.

Dick Baldwin

You guys rock!
Old
abrady

Default You guys rock! - 05-07-2007, 10:35 AM

Thanks so much! I thought I had looked at the Preferences, but clearly, I didn't.

Ann

Still getting backups!
Old
CTRstocks

Default Still getting backups! - 12-28-2011, 01:03 AM

I have changed my Preferences to limit number of backups to 0, yet everytime I close Alice and reopen, the backups start again, and Preferences then shows "Infinite" for backups. Before I close, I always save my world (to make sure I don't lose any recent changes) and then close, so I don't think I'm shutting it down improperly, but I cannot get the $%&! backups to stop.

Any other ideas?

For anyone wondering...
Old
CTRstocks

Default For anyone wondering... - 12-31-2011, 03:40 PM

What I discovered is that if you set the Backup Reminders to FOREVER and the Number of Backups to "0" it will change the Number of Backups back to Infinite and create them anyway.

HOWEVER, If you set the Reminders to anything besides Forever, you CAN set the number of Backups to "0" and it will not.

Just the quirks of the program. Hope this helped someone else.

Old
GameKid

Default 01-02-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRstocks View Post
I have changed my Preferences to limit number of backups to 0, yet everytime I close Alice and reopen, the backups start again, and Preferences then shows "Infinite" for backups. Before I close, I always save my world (to make sure I don't lose any recent changes) and then close, so I don't think I'm shutting it down improperly, but I cannot get the $%&! backups to stop.

Any other ideas?
I don't know if you noticed. But this is a five year old thread.

[COLOR=e4eaf2]Your text here[/COLOR]
Come on, you know you want to try it.