Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Creating and initializing a list
Old
Vagabond King

Default Creating and initializing a list - 01-08-2009, 10:28 PM

How do I create a (non-visual) list of items on the screen? I have followed two tutorials that suggest that I first create the items to go on the list, then create a new variable in World's properties. The variable should be a List of Objects.

So far, so good. Then I try to add an new object to the list, and I get a popup menu of things that might go into the list. If I pick any object - the entire object - the computer beeps, and the selection does not "take." I wind up with a list of <None>.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,
<*> VK

Old
DrJim

Default 01-10-2009, 09:44 AM

Very strange. I just tried the exact steps you show (on a PC with XP) and everything worked fine. I even used Zombies from the web gallery to make sure that model wasn't the problem.

The only thing I can think of is that there may be a problem with the copy of Alice on your machine - but that seems unlikely. Sorry to not be of help - maybe someone else has seen the problem and will provide the answer.

Strange, indeed.
Old
Vagabond King

Default Strange, indeed. - 01-12-2009, 06:38 AM

Well, I am relieved that I wasn't completely out to lunch. (Or a tea party, as the case may be....)

I will try this on a different machine - I have a lab full to try.

(This is on the Mac version, btw)

Thank you for your quick reply. I will post here later to let you know how it went.

<*> VK

Not such good luck
Old
Vagabond King

Default Not such good luck - 01-17-2009, 11:42 AM

I tried it on the computers in my lab with the same results. I will download Alice 2.2 this weekend and see whether it has better luck.

Tags
initialization, list