Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Old
lanceA

Default 06-08-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmac View Post
Just thought I'd add that there is a new book out by someone named Gaddis

Starting Out With Alice: A Visual Introduction to Programming

I'm not an instructor but my school is changing over from the other Alice text.
I was not happy with the old Alice text because it just didn't work well for my Add/HD mind
The book you are refering to is by Tony Gaddis, ISBN978-0-321-47515-2. And I agree that it is a better book.

Text books
Old
gunny

Default Text books - 07-21-2008, 02:01 PM

I own 4 Alice "text books".

Intro to Programming Using Alice by Herbert
Alice in Action by Adams
Alice 2.0 by Shelly, et. al.
Learning to Program with Alice by Dann, Cooper and Pausch.

The Dann and Adams books are good, the other two are not so good. They are all tutorials and not really textbooks. Lots of "here is how" and very little "here is why". Dick Balwin's online stuff is a must for reference but is pretty high level and is very wordy at times.
Check out these articles before you start designing your curriculum.

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/art...rticle1218.asp
http://users.evtek.fi/~jaanah/IntroC/DBeech/index.htm
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/pro.../features/pdl/

Once the kids start on Alice you will find that you will have to apply brakes to their progress or they will leave you in the dust. Alice is easy to teach because the kids will take off and run with it. They will also try to make it do things it was not intended for ie a game language. Have fun.

gaddis book good for a classroom
Old
alicefan

Default gaddis book good for a classroom - 10-24-2008, 01:49 PM

kidslike.info reviews the Gaddis book here
http://www.kidslike.info/alice_book_...in_a_classroom

you can see it compared with other Alice, and books for Scratch, Java, and Python here
http://www.kidslike.info/recommended...ds_programming

for 11th graders, the Herbert book might be a good choice because of the step by step instructions
http://www.kidslike.info/alice_commu..._25_by_herbert

Textbook Suggestions
Old
Karen

Default Textbook Suggestions - 11-04-2008, 05:56 PM

I am very interested in hearing decisions you made regarding Alice and how it is working out. Were you able to jump in teaching it without the training or a huge time commitment?

Also, if any readers out there have used Flash Actionscript for game programming, I'd love to hear from you.

I too teach high school grades 11-12. I have a program that offers students a choice of "focus areas" that includes Flash Actionscript Game Development, VB.NET, XHTML, and Dreamweaver. All of this is happening at the same time in two 2 1/4 hour sessions a day. For game development students wanting to go further, I decided to add Python. I taught myself at home, bought textbooks and developed lessons but the restrictions put on our student network are causing problems. I have one student trying it out. Even logged on as a local administrator (which I doubt I could do for a full class) has been problematic. I am seriously considering scrapping Python and going with Alice. I know my students would love the 3D animation although the lack of collision detection may wipe out that advantage. I need to make a decision immediately.

I do like the idea of luring female students into programming after being exposed to Alice.

Go with Alice, Python or stick with Flash Actionscript?
Old
Karen

Default Go with Alice, Python or stick with Flash Actionscript? - 11-04-2008, 05:59 PM

I am very interested in hearing decisions you made regarding Alice and how it is working out. Were you able to jump in teaching it without the training or a huge time commitment?

Also, if any readers out there have used Flash Actionscript for game programming, I'd love to hear from you.

I too teach high school grades 11-12. I have a program that offers students a choice of "focus areas" that includes Flash Actionscript Game Development, VB.NET, XHTML, and Dreamweaver. All of this is happening at the same time in two 2 1/4 hour sessions a day. For game development students wanting to go further, I decided to add Python. I taught myself at home, bought textbooks and developed lessons but the restrictions put on our student network are causing problems. I have one student trying it out. Even logged on as a local administrator (which I doubt I could do for a full class) has been problematic. I am seriously considering scrapping Python and going with Alice. I know my students would love the 3D animation although the lack of collision detection may wipe out that advantage. I need to make a decision immediately.

I do like the idea of luring female students into programming after being exposed to Alice.[/QUOTE]

About your text book? can you send me one through the mail?
Old
Australian_Teacher

Default About your text book? can you send me one through the mail? - 11-17-2008, 04:53 AM

Hi,
I am a teacher in Australia - Sydney. Would it be possible for you to send me a text book. I will be happy to pay you for it and to cover your mailing costs?
I am located in NSW - Sydney - Australia.

Alice Txtbooks
Old
joshhubbard

Default Alice Txtbooks - 08-11-2009, 02:19 PM

I am creating a new semester length course that will teach computer programming principles. It is for 9th graders and is required for all students in my school. I was wondering if anyone has used the Alice 2.0: Introductory Concepts and Techniques book in the shelly cashman series?

Old
lanceA

Default 08-11-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshhubbard View Post
I am creating a new semester length course that will teach computer programming principles. It is for 9th graders and is required for all students in my school. I was wondering if anyone has used the Alice 2.0: Introductory Concepts and Techniques book in the shelly cashman series?
It is not high on my list of favorites. All of his examples seem to revolve around the IceSkater object. I think 9th graders would be more interested in creating a variety of worlds. - Just my opinion.

Have you looked at the Dann, Cooper, Pausch book? Or Joel Adams or Tony Gaddis books. You might be able to take parts from several chapters in one of those books to make a 1 semester course. The Dann, Cooper, Pausch book even has several various length syllabii and tests with keys, etc. on the Alice site for free downloading to teachers.

Good luck,

Old
marwa saf

Default 10-12-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceA View Post
1. a. The "official" one is Learning To Program with Alice, Wanda P. Dann, et al. ISBN 0-
13-187289-3, Prentice Hall
b. Check out Dick Baldwin's free Alice Tutorials at www.dickbaldwin.com/tocalice.htm
c. There are several other books on Alice available includingشركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض C. Herbert's An
Introduction to Programming Using Alice, ISBN 978-1-4188-3625-2, or the Cashman
series.
تنظيف فلل بالرياض
شركات نظافة بالرياض شركة رش مبيدات حشرية بالرياض افضل شركة مكافحة الحشرات بالرياض افضل شركة لنقل الاثاث بالرياض شركات تخزين اثاث بالرياض افضل شركة تسليك مجارى شركة نظافة خزانات بالرياض شركة كشف تسربات شركة عزل خزانات
d. If you are teaching two years you may wish to look at J. Adam's Alice in Action with
JAVA, ISBN 978-4239-0096-2 because his book uses a spiral pedagogy to introduce
key object-oriented topics using Alice,نقل عفش then circles back to the same concepts in
Java.
مؤسسة نقل اثاث بالرياض
شركات نقل اثاث
شركات نقل عفش في الرياض
افضل شركات نقل اثاث بالرياض
نقل اثاث رخيص
شركة تخزين اثاث
افضل شركة نقل عفش بالرياض
شركة تخزين عفش بالرياض
نقل عفش داخل الرياض
نقل أثاث في الرياض
شركة كشف تسربات بالرياض
شركات كشف تسربات المياه بالرياض
شركة عزل خزانات
شركة تنظيف خزانات
شركة تسليك مجارى
شركة رش مبيد بالرياض
شركة مكافحة الحشرات بالرياض
تنظيف فلل بالرياض
تنظيف شقق بالرياض
تنظيف منازل بالرياض
افضل شركة تنظيف فلل بالرياض
شركة تنظيف موكيت بالرياض
شركة تنظيف مجالس بالرياض
افضل شركة نظافة بالرياض
شركة تنظيف بيوت بالرياض

2. I would not expect 11th graders to spend more than two semesters working with Alice. I teach at a dual curriculum high school and I use Alice with 9th graders and we do spend the entire year using Alice. However,نقل اثاث due to the curriculum we only meet 5 classes in a two-week cycle.
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض شركة رش مبيدات بالرياض شركة نقل اثاث بالرياض شركة نقل عفش بالرياض شركة عزل خزانات بالرياضكشف تسربات المياه شركة تنظيف فلل بالرياض شركة تنظيف خزانات بالرياض شركة تنظيف مجالس بالرياض تسليك مجارى تخزين اثاث شركة تنظيف موكيت بالرياض
شركة تنظيف شقق بالرياض شركة تنظيف منازل بالرياض شركة تنظيف بيارات بالرياض شركات المبيدات تنظيف منازل الرياض
غسيل خزانات
3. In the 10th grade we begin studying JAVA for the AP 'A' Computer Science tests. (Having studied Alice the previous year makesشركة تنظيف منازل a significant positive impact in student performance!)

You may wish to visit http://www.aliceprogramming.net/ and click on Instructor Materials to view several sample Syllabi for presenting an Alice course. Each sample syllabus covers a different amount of time for presenting the material.

As an aside, I also teach 'AB' Computer Science however,شركة مكافحة حشرات the College Board has concluded that the AP 'AB' Computer Science course will be discontinued after the 2009 year due to a decline in the number of students taking the test in high schools. This exemplifies what the colleges/universities have been saying for years: "There is a serious decline in enrollment in Computer Science". Unfortunately for me,شركة كشف تسربات my numbers for students wishing to continue with the 'AB' portion have steadily increased since I begin using Alice as an intro to comp-sci.

Good luck in your program!
that is really useful & i appreciate that thank you very much

Last edited by marwa saf; 02-16-2014 at 10:43 PM.

Greeting
Old
clk4suport

Default Greeting - 12-20-2013, 12:02 AM

Hi there,

its very nice thought pal. really good to know that you really want to something for students...

Very Nice

If i got any good ides about your concern i will sure come to you.

Thank You