Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Educators > Teaching with Alice

Adding Classes on a Network
Old
shodai

Default Adding Classes on a Network - 02-13-2012, 04:28 PM

I am teaching for the first time with Alice 2.2. I was wondering if there is a way to import classes into an alice world without having to save directly to one of the class folders in the program directory?

For example if I wanted to import a character from Mario Brothers or something like this.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 02-13-2012, 04:52 PM

Do you mean importing models and images? Or do you mean class objects (.a2c)? The first one, you can import most 3d models and images into Alice with the right processes. The second one, any .a2c object can be imported by clicking file>import, then navigating to where the class file is saved.

(')>

Old
shodai

Default 02-13-2012, 05:13 PM

OK. I guess that I am not entirely sure. I have been using books to learn the ins and outs, but none of them address what people seem to be able to do and my students are asking about. For example, people have recreated Halo and are able to import the characters, but I have no idea how this is done.

Old
TauTrumpsPi

Default 02-13-2012, 05:48 PM

Models, unless specifically made for Alice, need to be converted to .a2c or .ase so Alice can read them. So Jedi, the person who made the halo game, asked for models to be converted by other members of the community, and then he clicked file > import, and selected the model to be loaded into the world. There's a sticky on how to convert objects from google sketchup warehouse and others in the share objects section.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have plenty of common sense. I just choose to ignore it.
-Calvin and Hobbes

Wondering about my Avatar?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardigrade

Wondering about my username?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG7vhMMXagQ

Old
shodai

Default 02-13-2012, 07:27 PM

Thanks for the direction. I will have to check it out.