Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Windows 7 updated - Alice 2.2 won't open
Old
scoutwert

Default Windows 7 updated - Alice 2.2 won't open - 02-11-2010, 07:54 PM

Today, Windows 7 installed mandatory updates. Now, when I try to open Alice 2.2, the greeting window appears, but nothing else happens. I have shut down and restarted the computer, but Alice 2.2 still will not open. Alice 2.0 still runs, but I would prefer to use 2.2 if possible. Of course, I do not know definitively if the W7 update is the source of the problem. Just assuming.

Last edited by scoutwert; 02-11-2010 at 07:55 PM. Reason: left out information

Thats strange
Old
King Gamer(gorit)

Post Thats strange - 02-11-2010, 09:36 PM

Ok, I have Windows 7 and I am running Alice 2.2. It is posible that if you navigate into where the aplication is and set the combatibility setting to another version of windows. That is all I can think of.

Old
Noegzit

Default 03-07-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Gamer(gorit) View Post
Ok, I have Windows 7 and I am running Alice 2.2. It is posible that if you navigate into where the aplication is and set the combatibility setting to another version of windows. That is all I can think of.
Nope this issue has nothing to do with compatibilty mode.
I have the same issue on one of my Windows 7 pc (E8400, 4GB of memory, 2x Nvidia GTS 250) and tried all XP and vista compatibilty modes without success. In fact trying compatibilty modes was the first thing I did after I failed to launch Alice.
Alice 2.0 and Alice 3 beta run.
Alice 2.2 starts with loading screen but stops there. It uses 100% of one of my processor cores. I can wait hours nothing more happens.
On an other PC (E6400, 2GB of memory, Radeon 4870) I have the same OS (Windows 7 64 bits), same antivirus and same firewall and Alice 2.2 starts!
the differences between the 2 PC's : more programs installed on the pc where Alice doesn't run. In particular I have Active Python and Java (JDK 1.6.0_18) installed.

Last edited by Noegzit; 03-08-2010 at 04:36 AM. Reason: misplaced parenthesis

Old
Niteshifter

Default 03-19-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noegzit View Post
Nope this issue has nothing to do with compatibilty mode.
I have the same issue on one of my Windows 7 pc (E8400, 4GB of memory, 2x Nvidia GTS 250) and tried all XP and vista compatibilty modes without success. In fact trying compatibilty modes was the first thing I did after I failed to launch Alice.
Alice 2.0 and Alice 3 beta run.
Alice 2.2 starts with loading screen but stops there. It uses 100% of one of my processor cores. I can wait hours nothing more happens.
On an other PC (E6400, 2GB of memory, Radeon 4870) I have the same OS (Windows 7 64 bits), same antivirus and same firewall and Alice 2.2 starts!
the differences between the 2 PC's : more programs installed on the pc where Alice doesn't run. In particular I have Active Python and Java (JDK 1.6.0_18) installed.
Alice doesn't use the video card capabilities and is run entirely from the processor, so even if you had the best video card available, you wouldn't be able to use it with Alice.

Similar problem with Windows 7...
Old
pearcej

Default Similar problem with Windows 7... - 03-19-2010, 02:38 AM

Has anyone solved these problems with running Alice 2.2 in Windows 7? I am having some related problems (See http://www.alice.org/community/showt...hlight=windows) on my primary laptop.

I have tried all of the suggestions with compatibility settings and screen resolution, and none seem to help.

Tags
alice2.2, windows 7