Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Announcements > Community News and Announcements

Old
lanceA

Default 06-04-2009, 06:13 PM

As I understand it, Kenai, is a Cloud project. I am not into Cloud computing.

It's sort of like Big Brother having access to my files.

Last edited by lanceA; 06-04-2009 at 06:23 PM. Reason: added clarification

Old
lanceA

Default 06-04-2009, 06:47 PM

I don't wish anyone to forget my original post.............

Where do I find the NetBeans plugin that allows me to edit Alice 3.0-Beta code?

Thank you,

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 06-04-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceA View Post
I don't wish anyone to forget my original post.............

Where do I find the NetBeans plugin that allows me to edit Alice 3.0-Beta code?

Thank you,
The Alice Team is currently at JavaOne. I'll put the plugin online as soon as we get to Pittsburgh.

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 06-04-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJim View Post
After my problems with 2.2, I didn't even bother to try with Vista - just went directly to my XP machine. It loaded relatively smoothly and has been relatively bug free so far. (It is still obviously Beta software.)

As far as classroom use goes - don't want to really comment in any detail since I'm not a teacher, but I would be interested in other opinions. I note that the current summer workshops are specifically covering Alice 2.2 and 3.0.

Based on a first look, it appears that some of the "easy" things you can do in 2.x are going to require a bit higher understanding of Java in 3.0. Not a bad thing for CS majors (to claim 2.0 is a really good way to teach OOP has always seemed a bit of a stretch) - but that might also be a bit of a "turn off" for an introductory course.
Alice 3 is object oriented, so some things are going to be a bit more difficult than the instance-based Alice 2. However, this will make the transition to an object oriented language like Java a lot smoother. It's impossible to make everyone happy, but I think most intro CS instructors will embrace this and it will hopefully bring in some new converts.

Alice 2 and 2.2 will continue to be available on our website, but we are moving full steam ahead with Alice 3.

Old
lanceA

Default 06-05-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe View Post
The Alice Team is currently at JavaOne. I'll put the plugin online as soon as we get to Pittsburgh.
Thanks, Gabe

Old
DrJim

Default 06-05-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Thanks from me also.

Are plugins for any other IDE's planned? NetBeans has quite a steep learning curve.

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 06-05-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJim View Post
Thanks from me also.

Are plugins for any other IDE's planned? NetBeans has quite a steep learning curve.
We don't have immediate plans to create a plugin for other IDEs, but we do plan on creating a standalone Alice-to-Java converter that will allow you to view your Alice worlds in whatever IDE you want. No timeline is set, but it's all in the plans. The todo list is mammoth.

Old
DrJim

Default 06-06-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
We don't have immediate plans to create a plugin for other IDEs, but we do plan on creating a standalone Alice-to-Java converter that will allow you to view your Alice worlds in whatever IDE you want...
Even better. Thanks for the information.

Group objects
Old
ttkrakus

Default Group objects - 06-09-2009, 02:04 PM

Something I saw was missing in Alice is the ability of creating composite objects; objects created by combining other object. This would be a great addition to Alice. With this feature you can use Alice for creating new models (instead of the cumbersome process of creating and importing ASE files) with built-in features.

Please, if not for this release of Alice, consider this feature for future releases.... Thanks

Still needs work...
Old
cardsfan527

Default Still needs work... - 06-09-2009, 06:00 PM

The beta looks promising, with the very helpful SIMS characters and preprogrammed methods, but it continues to crash and remains very confusing. For now, I'm sticking with 2.2. Please check out my baseball home run derby game and comment at:

http://www.alice.org/community/showt...highlight=game