Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Hah!
Old
zonedabone

Default Hah! - 01-27-2010, 03:22 PM

Out of the way!

Let zonedabone zone this one out!

Instructions are self explanatory.

If you need to add a person, just have the event triggered by clicking on him.

This world also has the only know way of removing decimals - randomizing!

'Apple Macintosh' - An anagram of 'Complaints Heap'

M.A.C.I.N.T.O.S.H. - Machine Always Crashes, If Not, The Operating System Hangs.

You're *such* a mac person.

Last edited by zonedabone; 01-27-2010 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Fixed the rounding with randomizing

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 01-27-2010, 07:56 PM

Looks good, but the rounding methods don't work.

Also, I typically don't like it when people post examples of assignments from the textbook, but this one was really, really irritating to pretty much everyone who's tried to ask about it or help with it, so I don't mind if it stays up, but I would like it if you could put your name in it in a few creative places, just to make it harder to plagiarize.

(')>

Sorry!
Old
zonedabone

Default Sorry! - 01-27-2010, 08:24 PM

Oh! Sorry! I'll take it down right away!

'Apple Macintosh' - An anagram of 'Complaints Heap'

M.A.C.I.N.T.O.S.H. - Machine Always Crashes, If Not, The Operating System Hangs.

You're *such* a mac person.

Old
graficdes9er

Default 03-01-2010, 09:03 PM

Ok my problem is along the same lines with thte Big 12.. I have the variables set up, and I have the strings - (teams) set up as well. How do I get it to loop the other 11 times - when it asks if you want it to enter a number again, how do I make it so if they click no it ends, and does not continue to ask 11 more times?

Old
WolfHawk

Default 03-29-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInAlice View Post
I got part 1 to work, now I just need to figure out how to get the person say method to run after the invalid number and entering a new number.
I'm stuck here too. I can't get the program to ask for another number when they enter an out of range number nor can I get it to ask if they want to know another rank after going through once. The only way I can see to do it is to have an actual THEN statement as in IF/THEN/ELSE. Nesting IF/ELSE statements doesn't appear to do the same thing.

This thread DID help me get through a huge chunk of the problem and for that I am thankful. But I think I'm just going to have to take the bad grade because I've been at this for a week now. The only "textbook" we got is An Introduction to Programming Using Alice" which doesn't have a lot of user input instruction. (We didn't even get the accompanying cd!)

Old
OmegaBunny

Default 04-04-2010, 09:46 PM

Now for another question. How do I get it to loop to where it contiues to allow a user to ask questions continually until they choose no?

How do open Simplesample?
Old
scottb305

Default How do open Simplesample? - 05-10-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2495iiii View Post
You keep focusing on functions when you should be focusing on variables. A list of strings is a variable, so you'd create it the same way you'd create a variable. If you just looked around at the other options in the window that pops up when you click the "Create variable" button, you'd know this. Also, the creation of lists variables IS covered by the textbook, and has examples listed on how to do so.

I made a simple, step-by-step example to re-exaplain it. If you still can't understand it, ask your teacher to help you.

How Do I open Simple Sample? all I get is code.

thanks

Old
darkmoose84

Default 06-21-2010, 02:14 PM

I've got a problem too of getting the person to say "item 'variable' from 'variable'". All he'll say are strings that I can type in, but I don't know where the function is that you had in the simple sample.

I've gotten everything else to work right with it except that, the most important part of it.

Old
masterartisan

Default 06-26-2010, 09:18 PM

How is this phrase constructed in alice?

Person say "Team " (joined with) [[Rank] as a string] (joined with) " is " (joined with) [rank]th item from Teams.

I am working on getting a person to say "X" from an string. X is determined by user input.
One example, in alice, says, person says item X from string.

I know I am missing something here. Anyone with a club?

Thanks,

Old
masterartisan

Default 06-29-2010, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2495iiii View Post
You keep focusing on functions when you should be focusing on variables. A list of strings is a variable, so you'd create it the same way you'd create a variable. If you just looked around at the other options in the window that pops up when you click the "Create variable" button, you'd know this. Also, the creation of lists variables IS covered by the textbook, and has examples listed on how to do so.

I made a simple, step-by-step example to re-exaplain it. If you still can't understand it, ask your teacher to help you.
IN the simpleexample where does "ground say item varible from string" come from? I don't see a way to make that happen.

Thanks,