Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > Questions and Comments

Alice 3D text objects
Old
JeremyShafer

Default Alice 3D text objects - 08-03-2008, 12:54 AM

Hi,
I'd like to iterate through an array or list of 3d text objects, and programatically update the text property of each element in the set.

I want to be able to use that to display scores / status for certain set of alice objects in a world i am trying to create.

So far, neither arrays or lists will allow me to get at that property.

Any ideas?

--Jeremy

Old
DrJim

Default 08-03-2008, 07:43 AM

A little tricky, but lists do seem to work - see attached.

A couple of notes/hints:

1. When you create a text object, you automatically create the default text. That stays with the object if you just copy it using the screen editor - which can make editiing rather confusing. I recommend placing a new text object for each list item.

2. You have to drag the property you want to change from the properties window to the main window first. You can then substitute the list variable for the object name. (This two step process is something you often have to use - but unfortunately isn't documented very well.)

3. It is best to work strictly with the list indicies - there are some bugs in Alice 2.0 (dealing with deleting the "last" item) that haven't been fixed.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w Hello and Goodbye.a2w (110.5 KB, 144 views)

Nothing like an example
Old
JeremyShafer

Default Nothing like an example - 08-04-2008, 07:11 PM

Hi,

Thanks Dr. Jim. I am going to start a new thread on this one because I have a better example of what I am trying to do. See the "Ugly Penguins" thread.

--jeremy