Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Texture mapping example
Old
icemacsea

Default Texture mapping example - 09-17-2010, 10:14 AM

Hello,

Does anyone have an .ASE file that worked successfully in terms of texture mapping? I would like to inspect it b/c I'm going nuts trying to bring an object into Alice with the texture applied correctly. I have an old version of 3DSMax (v. 3) but it does support .ASE export and the geometry exports/imports perfectly. I've checked the mapping info in my file and the format and everything matches what is in the Wiki entry for the .ASE format. And the options in the ASE export dialog box are exactly the same in my version of Max as they are in every other version of Max, including the latest.

In other words, I don't think the .ASE format has changed at all, but I do think there is something not right with the mapping/texture data that gets exported from my version. It's frustrating b/c this is a very simple texturing job -- I'm mapping the bitmap flat onto the object. For some reason, in 3DSMax, I have to change the U angle to -90 to make the bitmap line up right (it's as if Max is turning it 90 degrees when it imports it, so I compensate for that). And it looks perfect in Max. But then in Alice, the texture is at the wrong angle again.

I did discover that the exporter is not writing that angle data into my .ASE file (it always writes zeros there), so I did it manually, but that didn't help. As far as I can tell, Alice is ignoring the angle. So there must be another setting in the data that is wrong, but I can't figure it out. Does anyone have an .ASE file that worked for them (texture mapping-wise)?

Thanks.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 09-17-2010, 11:35 AM

Here's a folder with an ase that imports and applies the texture automatically and successfully. All I changed was the file extension of the "BITMAP" property, where it names the texture to be used. I included the .max model as well, in case you need it for reference.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ASEModel.zip (799.2 KB, 11 views)

Old
icemacsea

Default 09-17-2010, 02:13 PM

Thanks so much for this file, Super Moderator. This confirms what I was starting to suspect; namely that the UV Angle data is ignored (not sure about the tiling and offset data, but it likely is, as well). So it turns out, all the UV mapping data is in the MESH section: MESH_NUMTVERTEX, MESH_TVERTLIST, MESH_NUMTVFACES, MESH_TFACELIST. And 3DStudio is definitely populating this section with data, it's just the wrong data, so now I'm looking into that.

Thanks again.

Old
icemacsea

Default 09-17-2010, 04:01 PM

Alright, well, I still have a little bit of my hair left ... AND ... I have my model imported into Alice with the texture applied correctly. WHEW! 3DSMax makes it possible (with the material editor) to do some very bare-bones texture mapping (with the tiling and offsets and angles) but this apparently does not create an actual UVW map. And you need a UVW map to make the texture map correctly in Alice.

If anyone else has an ancient version of Max, like me, and wants some help with this just let me know. In short, you've got to apply both the UVW Mapping modifier and the UV Unwrap modifier and then edit your vertexes. But it's not exactly straightforward. If I can ever get Python scripting to work on this machine, I'm gonna start doing it in Blender.

Thanks again for your help, SM!

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 09-17-2010, 10:04 PM

No problem.