Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > The Lounge

Wikipedia stub?
Old
Mr Nemo

Question Wikipedia stub? - 10-02-2006, 10:55 PM

I was over looking at the Alice listing on Wikipedia here, and I noticed that it was nothing but a stub. I was wondering if we couldn't organize a group to edit and upkeep the listing(volunteering!) so that it is that much easier for people to learn about this programming system and how useful it can be as a teaching instrument?

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 10-03-2006, 12:19 PM

Nemo,

This sounds like a *great* idea. Would you like to head the effort?

Just let me know what I can do to help.

Old
DrJim

Thumbs up 10-03-2006, 07:29 PM

Count me in to help - I agree with Gabe that it's a great idea.

Think the first step is to figure out what needs to be added - not something I would be good at. Since I'm neither a student nor a teacher in the field, I really don't know what would be important to emphasize to really attract people to the program. (I can go on at length as to why it is important! )

JIm

Old
Mr Nemo

Default 10-03-2006, 08:38 PM

Sure, if you want me to lead the effort, I'll take the responsibility. I'd really enjoy the task!
But I'll need feedback, could anybody who cares post what they'd like to see on the wikipedia site here on this thread? I'm thinking that we need to cover the history of Alice, including the prior version(an area in which I'm completely lost), and its future: Alice 3.
I'd also like to see some code handling examples on the site, but I don't know if wikipedia would allow such a site.

Last edited by Mr Nemo; 10-03-2006 at 09:55 PM. Reason: grammar, again...

Old
Mr Nemo

Default 10-04-2006, 08:39 PM

Just a few questions that I think the Wikipedia article should cover:

1) What is Alice?

2) What is Alice's target audience?

3) What are Alice's potential uses?

4) What resources exist for Alice users?

Just my answers for the questions
Old
Mr Nemo

Default Just my answers for the questions - 10-04-2006, 08:43 PM

1) Alice is an open-source, freeware program that was designed to teach programming to beginning programming students.

2) Alice is suitable for everyone, male and female, from elementary school all the way up to college level students.

3) Alice can be used for a variety of things, from building virtual worlds, to programming games, to creating movies.

4) Various resources exist for Alice users. These resources range from the Alice textbooks, to Alice's online community.

Old
lanceA

Default 10-05-2006, 08:55 PM

In the spirit of "honesty" we need to define "open-source" - has anyone been able to compile the source code? What is meant by "open source"?

We should cite sources for any references to "elementary schools" and "females/males"?

Wikipedia is "banned" from being used as a reference source, at least at my school - and for the exact reasons I just stated. Anyone can walk-in off the street and author on Wikipeida.

I think we need to give this more thought.......just my thoughts

Old
Mr Nemo

Arrow 10-05-2006, 09:18 PM

As far as using it as a reference source, I never intended it as that. It's just that if someone does a Wikipedia search on Alice, I want there to be something substantial there so they know that somebody out there cares about Alice. But I must agree with you, any sources about suitability must have references, otherwise the article may even be "speedied."

I would really value your opinion, Lance. Perhaps you would be so kind as to assist us?

p.s.: I usually take "open-source" to mean that the source code is freely available for anyone to edit, and compile.

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 10-05-2006, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceA View Post
In the spirit of "honesty" we need to define "open-source" - has anyone been able to compile the source code? What is meant by "open source"?
We provide the source code for anyone to see, use, or modify. We do not provide support for compilation, not because we don't want people to compile, but because we just don't have the resources to do so at this time. We are a small group and are focusing the majority of our time on 3.0 development and trying to get it out the door in the timeframe we set.

Old
lanceA

Default 10-07-2006, 01:22 PM

Sorry if my post was misunderstood. I was NOT implying anything other than what was stated. Normally when some one mentions open-source it brings to mind that the source includes .mak, .bat, .ant, or other files, etc. I am fully aware that the necessary maps/hierarchial files are not included with the source, but others may not be aware and would continue to ask the questions. That was all I meant by the statement