Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Using Variable to Toggle Colors
Old
alicenoob210

Default Using Variable to Toggle Colors - 11-03-2011, 09:40 PM

I'm working on a project that allows the user to change between five different color schemes. I figured variables and increments would allow me to do this, but no matter what I do, it only allows me to change colors once and that's it. I'll post the project file if you don't know what I'm talking about; I barely know what I'm doing (it's under the World.clickObject method).
Attached Files
File Type: a2w Project 2.a2w (4.94 MB, 9 views)

Old
waqar

Default 11-03-2011, 10:00 PM

it is doing that bcz it is not going to the other if statments bcz every time a that method executes count reset to 0 and after increment by 1 it always come on 1 u have to make a hard coding for it and do that colour change statment in decending order it will definitely work i had that exp while i was making my shooting game and put 6 bullets and want to go opac 1 of them whenever i clicked on something frm thr i came to know abt it

Old
alicenoob210

Default 11-04-2011, 01:30 AM

Okay, so from what I gather, using variables wouldn't be a good idea. Playing with a dumbed down version of what I was working on, I found that if I use a list and have the program choose a random number from the list, I can toggle between multiple colors. The only problem is now, it would be kind of difficult for a user to anticipate what color will come up when they click x many times. It partly resolves the problem, though it again shifts the issue of being able to toggle between the preset choices in a predictable way.

Old
sfunk

Default 11-04-2011, 06:56 AM

Here, take a look at what I did with this world, it's very simple, I created a number variable, which I had increased every time the cylinder was clicked. then I had multiple if/else statments declaring if number_variable==(whatever number) the cube would change it's color. so after creating those methods you have to use the right type of events to place the methods into. I like using when the world starts and right clicking it to change it to "while the world is running" so the world constantly checks your if/else statements to decide what color the cube should be, and the last touch I made to it was once the number variable got to a certain number it would reset back to zero to be able to cycle through the colors again.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w Color_change_variables_used.a2w (178.0 KB, 13 views)

If you are stuck on a project, check out the tutorials I made here at this link:

http://alice.org/community/showthread.php?p=36778#post36778

There are lots of tutorials on it so far, including some youtube videos, check it out

Or..

Go to my youtube channel to check out my alice 2.2 tutorials I have there..

http://www.youtube.com/user/sfunk1992?feature=mhsn

Old
alicenoob210

Default 11-04-2011, 12:25 PM

Thanks! That worked perfectly.

increment
Old
walleyewilly

Default increment - 04-04-2012, 09:26 PM

Hi Sfunk:

I would like to use this increment for a project I am working on. I was just wondering where you got the increment method/function from without creating a variable for it. I did check out you tutorials, but did not see one on this particular subject. Thanks, Willy

Old
sfunk

Default 04-05-2012, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyewilly View Post
Hi Sfunk:

I would like to use this increment for a project I am working on. I was just wondering where you got the increment method/function from without creating a variable for it. I did check out you tutorials, but did not see one on this particular subject. Thanks, Willy
You have to have a number variable to use increment or decrement methods

If you are stuck on a project, check out the tutorials I made here at this link:

http://alice.org/community/showthread.php?p=36778#post36778

There are lots of tutorials on it so far, including some youtube videos, check it out

Or..

Go to my youtube channel to check out my alice 2.2 tutorials I have there..

http://www.youtube.com/user/sfunk1992?feature=mhsn

variables
Old
walleyewilly

Default variables - 04-05-2012, 06:42 AM

Thank you. I see that now from your tutorial. For some reason when I loaded the lights example into Alice on my PC, it did not show the variable or the name change to world.my first method. Thanks, very helpful. Willy